Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City17
Dec 3, 2006

Holy Balls, it's a thread resurrection.

For those with archives, the original thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127092
Unfortunately, most of the pictures that help the thread make sense are gone, due to being hosted on waffleimages.
I could go rebuild the thread with pictures, but I believe it's a bit of a wasted effort.

I did build an Imgur album that is mostly in chronological order, it anyone wants to sift through that and match it to the original thread.
Also if anyone has any questions or comments about the truck, the Imgur album, or how or what I did what I did, feel free to ask.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/FNIBo

So, where do I stand today?

Where do we go from here?
Hopefully some progress. I realize this project is stretching into years, which I really hoped it wouldn't.
But with everyday life, work, family, trying to get to the gym...blah, blah, blah...

I really hope the worst is behind me, the welding in new panels and trying to make everything fit was completely new territory for me, things I had never done before.
It was a steeper learning curve than I imagined. The welding is equal parts art, science, and black magic. Just as soon as you think you have it, you get a crappy weak weld, or just blow a whole the size of Finland in the panel. It's incredibly frustrating, and of course the heat makes things not fit, that fit just right before you started.

My main goal is to make enough progress and keep this updated enough to keep it out of the archives. We shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hell yeah 70s thread tag and hell yeah old Broncos. Look forward to seeing more.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm excited too! It's such a happy looking truck!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I would definitely like to read more about this truck and see more pictures :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love Broncos!

At least you seem to live somewhere semi-warm.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 16, 2014

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Got a little done tonight.

Stripped the remaining hardware, stainless steel trim, window, and vent window from the driver door to start stripping the paint.
Got both faces stripped and primed, still have the edges to work on and a bit of rust to contend with.

Rust is in the bottom corner where the door frame and door skin all come together. Didn't get a picture.

Found some filler in the main part of the door, but it appeared to be a simple skim coat to doll up the body last time is was painted.
Nothing more than 1/16" or so.

This is my favorite time of year to work in the garage. Warm days, and cool nights make for great working conditions.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I love the transformation that happens when you strip and then prime a piece like that. It goes from fugly to component parts to beautiful.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Not much progress on the Bronco, but I did get some work done today.

Had to get out and replace all 6 exhaust hangers on my 1998 Panther (Grand Marquis) factory dual exhaust.

Driver side was so completely trashed the exhaust was hanging nearly to the ground, passenger wasn't quite as
bad, but still in sad shape.

Car only has 85,000 miles, but time is beginning to take it's toll on soft parts.
Never owned a car so long that the rubber hanging bits failed before the factory exhaust.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hell yeah, EB's rule - I grew up camping all through the mountains and high deserts of California in one (the red one in the first photo), and at one time my dad had three lined up in our driveway. He's got that cut down to one specimen he bought out of Texas, and put through a two-year restoration. It's got the factory PTO winch and a bundle of original purchase slips/receipts. I betrayed the family line and got into Jeeps but have a major soft spot for Broncs. Fantastic off road vehicles; Dad lugged a pop-up trailer into places I'd be hesitant to 4lo into with my Jeep. Looking forward to updates on yours!

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 10, 2014

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Hey, my dad and I are in the process of restoring his 66 Bronco, cool to see this thread. We kind of have a long way to go, and it's our first project of this scale, but it's been incredibly fun!

Quick question, have any of you that have also restored one of these recommend a vendor for body panels? He's been buying from broncograveyard.com but the fitment on them has really been hit or miss. Is that normal or should we start sourcing them from somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City17
Dec 3, 2006

My mom is a slut posted:

Hey, my dad and I are in the process of restoring his 66 Bronco, cool to see this thread. We kind of have a long way to go, and it's our first project of this scale, but it's been incredibly fun!

Quick question, have any of you that have also restored one of these recommend a vendor for body panels? He's been buying from broncograveyard.com but the fitment on them has really been hit or miss. Is that normal or should we start sourcing them from somewhere else?

Looks awesome, can't wait to get the body off of mine and get to the frame. Need to start seeing some shiny new stuff instead of rust and primer.

I got most of my stuff from http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/ but from my research on http://classicbroncos.com/forums/index.php most all replacement stuff has some degree of fitment issues. For the guys doing trail trucks, it's not an issue, for guys doing restorations, they just have to take the time on fitting and checking and fitting and checking. Some parts are better than others, and they are continually improving what they are selling. Try to avoid the import parts if possible, especially for critical places like outer rockers and door posts. Getting the doors to fit is a real chore, you can tell by looking at pictures of finished trucks that doors are where most people have issues. The truck posted by The Royal Nonesuch has some of the best fitting doors I have seen.

City17 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread