Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That cash register is not big enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Nodoze posted:

That cash register is not big enough

Totally agree with you.

So this next part is slightly ridiculous and requires a bit of backstory.

I support design and installation for major chemical plant equipment, so a large part of my job is pipe routing and specification. When the air compressor was installed, I thought how it might be neat to run a simple black iron header and build the takeoffs when required.

This obviously sperg'd out of control and now I have a compressed air system that cost me just as much as the compressor did. It's also only half constructed in my mind, and still needs some actual pipe support, but that will get in the way of my next project so I'm holding off on it for now.

It starts at the compressor:

I put in a 1/2" flexible hose section, which will eventually mate to a 1/2" in-line filter (hence the seemingly redundant gauge... it'll become a post-filter gauge).

Next the 1/2" black iron pipe runs along the side wall behind the janky toolboxes, and tees into a vertical section:

The lower vertical is a ball valve drain, and the upper vertical runs to the main header. Condensation from the gently sloping header will run to this vertical section, where it will trap in this main drain.

The first takeoff occurs right at the beginning of the main header, where it up-and-overs to a 4' vertical with a block-off valve and a drain before the filter-regulator-oiler combo. This then runs through another flexible hose into the reel.

Here's a close-up of the first takeoff, with the main drain conveniently located to the left:

The header then runs along the back wall until it caps:

The cap at the end is for a future header along the opposing side wall.

The second takeoff up-and-overs somewhere around the middle of the back wall (behind the loving weird wall cabinet in the previous picture), and is functionally identical to the first:

The system holds air just fine, and there's very little pressure loss at the regulators. The main drain absolutely pisses water, and the drains at the regulators always blow dry air, so I'll count that as a victory.

Sorry for the mess, but it's not staying that way for long... The next project is going to be demolishing those cabinets and building 30" deep hardwood ply cabinets with pre-made countertops along the entire length of the back wall. Should be about 18' worth of counter/cabinet space.

Also, sheets are going up on the back wall with pegboard over top of them, and all that janky cabinet mess on the back wall is getting 86'd. The aforementioned roommate dabbles in carpentry and has already supplied me with a BOM. I'm buying the raw material this Saturday.

As a little side project, I'm turning the all-too-familiar-by-now F20 motor into a coffee table. Here it is, surely up to no good with the Honda V4 and the battery tender:

Vagrants.

Eaten By A Grue
Aug 13, 2006
It's very important to have easy access to your main drain :eng101:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm gonna be in VA the weekend of 25/26.

Celeb goon appearance?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm gonna be in VA the weekend of 25/26.

Celeb goon appearance?

Assuming Adiabatic is ok with it, I was thinking about going there that weekend as well to thrash on the Forester and get the steering rack/other bits installed.

I'll bring at least one case of yuengling, probably two.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You're both in luck! I think the only thing we'll be doing that weekend is making cabinets. Come get your poo poo done and give me alcohol.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Any reason you didn't turn the compressor to not have the air output sticking out. I wouldn't want to risk bumping it with something, having it break and all hell breaking loose.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So lets say someone wants you to work on their S2000 that's starting to let the knocks out.

Would you run away screaming, or just quadruple your alcohol consumption for the week?

Please don't hurt me

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

Any reason you didn't turn the compressor to not have the air output sticking out. I wouldn't want to risk bumping it with something, having it break and all hell breaking loose.

Yeah, I wanted adequate airflow so it was either that position or facing the wall. I'll probably put a 90 straight off the valve at some point, since that 180° hose bend looks poo poo.

some texas redneck posted:

So lets say someone wants you to work on their S2000 that's starting to let the knocks out.

Would you run away screaming, or just quadruple your alcohol consumption for the week?

Please don't hurt me

:frogout:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's your sbc swap rate?

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

nice

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Did some suspension and steering bits on Mister 2-slow the other day:

Those of you on Snapchat may have gotten to see some air hammer shenanigans.

Also, had a party a while back. Things may have gotten a bit out of hand...

This weekend I'm finally buying all that wood for the cabinets. Last weekend had a surprise "Lets go wine tasting in Charlottesville!" from girlfriend, so all my plans get put on hold.

There should be five six different cars coming this weekend to use the garage (including one two goons :stare: ). One guess which make all six are.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 24, 2014

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The answer is always Subaru.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Had a coworker bring a Miata in today for some axle seals:

Went pretty smoothly. We also did a tire rotation and oil change before he sells it. He just bought a pretty white 2.5RS which he may be bringing tomorrow with all the other Subarus.

He brought some decent beer to drink while we were working. I'd never heard of it but it was pretty deliciously hoppy:

He also paid in Yuengling (good man). The state of the beer fridge:

Beer fridge is less sad.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Sup Richmond buddy? I have a turbo sw20 that needs a timing belt and clutch, which done together become a engine out job.
I have my own tools and lots of beer. Or 1 bottle of hardywood gingerbread stout.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Slow is Fast and I are planning on getting there around 10am tomorrow, we'll have plenty of fealty with us to fill your fridge.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ARE YOU READY??????

:gooncamp:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Shiiiiit, after checking PMs it looks like tomorrow isn't going to work unfortunately, scheduling conflict. I'll have to come down another weekend for sure though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I definitely overestimated your length of stay. 10am should still work if y'all are still down.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Absolutely. Looks like the party is still on :getin:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dale's Pale Ale is just about my favorite beer in the whole wide world, and I'm green with envy with you Yanks who can just drop down to the local BevMore for a sixpack. If you can even get it here, it's well over USD 10 per can.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The gently caress? Aren't you in Denmark, aka Where All Swedes Go To Buy Cheap Beer? I can walk five minutes to my nearest Systembolaget and get Dales for 2 euros per can.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

Sup Richmond buddy? I have a turbo sw20 that needs a timing belt and clutch, which done together become a engine out job.
I have my own tools and lots of beer. Or 1 bottle of hardywood gingerbread stout.

I am not opposed to this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

ARE YOU READY??????

:gooncamp:

Slow is Fast and Terrible Robot came by this morning. We replaced the rear trailing arm bushings and the front CV shafts on Terrible Robot's Lesbian Forester:

Terrible Robot and his buddy went to work on the CV shafts:

Slow is Fast reveled in the lack of rust and popped the trailing arms off in mere minutes.

We hosed up some bushings with the air hammer:

Squint method of PPE:

Beer fridge is getting happier:

Slow is Fast leaves for Maine:

Thanks for the sticker, bud:

All in all a good two hours of bullshitting and car repair. AI goons are some cool people.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Nice thread, don't know why you got probated today for something you posted in july though. :iiam:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The gently caress? Aren't you in Denmark, aka Where All Swedes Go To Buy Cheap Beer? I can walk five minutes to my nearest Systembolaget and get Dales for 2 euros per can.

Dafuq? For real? Yeah, I'm in Denmark. Land of really cheap crappy beer and sometimes quite expensive imported good beer.

gently caress me, my family has a cabin in Sweden. Time to call in some favors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Squint method of PPE:

OSHA-approved Mk7 Safety Squint

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Thanks again for letting us come and dirty up your garage, been a while since I had that much fun working on a car, AI goons are awesome people. :) I'm sure that won't be the last time you see the Forester sullying the lift, either.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 27, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Dafuq? For real? Yeah, I'm in Denmark. Land of really cheap crappy beer and sometimes quite expensive imported good beer.

gently caress me, my family has a cabin in Sweden. Time to call in some favors.

This here is what you want, right?

Sorry for beering up your thread, OP.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Beer chat is fine by me. Just gives me ideas for the 100% of the time someone asks what kind to bring.

The rest of the Subarus today were uneventful. They also conveniently forgot to bring beer. Beer fridge is angry.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Were you atleast left with SiF motorsport stickers? If not his hymen is MINE.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yes I left some stickers and no you can't have my behymen.

Fawresterrrr

40 dollars to fix the one second pause in the driveline. Worth it. I need to do another set up here and weld the rings up into a press tool so I can not have to gently caress with sawzall/fire/air hammer to get the old ones out and can instead just bolt on a THING and impact the old bushes out.

Also if you find my leatherman please put it aside for me k thx.

The dales pale was good too. THANK YOU FOR THE HOSPITALITY.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whose trailing arm bushings look like a Brazilian gay pride parade? The TiC ones are just black.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Whose trailing arm bushings look like a Brazilian gay pride parade? The TiC ones are just black.

Energy Suspension, iirc. The bright yellow things are the little tubs of grease for the bushings.

Single best repair/upgrade I've done to that car, it's like a completely different vehicle now.

Slow is Fast posted:

THANK YOU FOR THE HOSPITALITY.

Also, this can't be said enough times.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2014

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Somebody come build something like this in San Diego and be cool enough to let me bring beer to use your lift.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finally found a lumber yard that won't dick me around for 10 sheets of plywood. Picking up cabinet material tomorrow morning :clint:

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Somebody come build something like this in San Diego and be cool enough to let me bring beer to use your lift.

This, but Milwaukee (we're a mostly beer-based economy anyway).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finally.

Cabinets incoming!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't understand why you had such a hard time getting plywood.

Have fun with the cabinets :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat I'm jealous. Also, keep that granite countertop around, stone countertops are great for doing hot work on like heating up parts to shrink-fit over the shaft you have stored next to the beer, soldering, etc.