Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Imposters, that toilet isn't even on fire. :colbert:

That is a hell of a vise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

Nor does it contain a Röhm RG-10, but that only costs them a single point. 9/10 would goon again.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
You kid, but I would not be at all surprised if there were a toilet gun.

Cabinets made some slight headway before breaking the table saw. Gotta tighten the reins on the roommate's free labor.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

kastein posted:

That is a hell of a vise.

It's our ashtray. I fully expect it catch on fire on it's own one day.

Also there used to be a bathroom gun, I'm not sure if there is one anymore. Might be one upstairs, that bathroom does have a window. There are so many guns in that house I don't even know where they all are kept at, and I live there.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

alternate.eago posted:

It's our ashtray. I fully expect it catch on fire on it's own one day.

You can set fire to a toilet and put a lot of fireworks/gas in them and they hold up pretty well.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Heh. My buddy texted me asking if I wanted the leftover mortars at his house from the fourth. Que flashback to July 4 wherein a drunk revmoo nailed this guy's neighbor's house not once, but twice head-on. Nah I don't think I should be entrusted with fireworks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

You kid, but I would not be at all surprised if there were a toilet gun.
Never go full Micromancer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

First things first, that room needs to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIQ0gvnhYE

You just ruined your paint booth.

This is an awesome garage though. It's pretty much exactly what I want (just smaller.)
How annoying is it to be in there when it rains?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

I'm in Richmond. Come on out!

In fact, if any AI goons are in the area you and your beer are welcome.

Yeah no joke. Poor guy was all excited about it until I told him I'd hook him up. I honestly still feel like $150 was too much, but I made that back up with that damned front sway bar.

I'm also in Richmond. I also have a rather large garage. I would like to be your friend / RVA garage bro.

Also, I would like to donate a beer fridge to your cause.
It's a glass front door fridge, like the ones you see at convenience stores.
It recently stopped making things cold, but the box itself is pretty awesome. It shouldn't be a tough fix, I just haven't had the money to put beer in it, so I've had no reason to even attempt to fix it.

Edit: I'm a donk and haven't read through the whole thread yet. I see you have a fridge but this one is still pretty awesome:

(this is my garage in NOVA)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 15, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

Due to this thread I decided to try this stuff myself. (You can order ANYTHING on Amazon these days. It's like a slow version of the Star Trek replicator, tell it what you want, 3-5 days later it shows up.)

Trip Report: Pretty drat tasty, like orange soda with a creme-soda aftertaste. A+++ would drink again.

Look at this scrub without Amazon Prime.

Awesome garage, btw. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd totally bring you all the beer you can drink (and possibly some scotch).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You just ruined your paint booth.

This is an awesome garage though. It's pretty much exactly what I want (just smaller.)
How annoying is it to be in there when it rains?

Good. I hate painting. I'll throw money at a paint shop all day.

The rain hitting the roof is actually pretty soothing. The acorns scare the poo poo out of you, however.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I would like to donate a beer fridge to your cause.

Dude bring that poo poo over (or tell me where to pick it up) and you can come drink beer out of it whenever you like. Got any pictures of your RVA garage? Loving the :krad: carpet in the NoVA one.

KillHour posted:

If I lived anywhere near you, I'd totally bring you all the beer you can drink (and possibly some scotch).

13 Inch and I have pretty similar tastes in scotch, in that if smoke isn't coming off it from the peat fire, it's no good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Good. I hate painting. I'll throw money at a paint shop all day.

The rain hitting the roof is actually pretty soothing. The acorns scare the poo poo out of you, however.

Dude bring that poo poo over (or tell me where to pick it up) and you can come drink beer out of it whenever you like. Got any pictures of your RVA garage? Loving the :krad: carpet in the NoVA one.

13 Inch and I have pretty similar tastes in scotch, in that if smoke isn't coming off it from the peat fire, it's no good.

I will certainly deliver you a fridge as soon as I can. I'm pretty busy for the first next few days, but I'll pm you when I have some time to come over.

I don't have any recent garage pictures. I used to maintain my blog (see my avatar) pretty well when I lived in NOVA so there's a lot of pictures of cool stuff there.
But I just sort of got too busy to enjoy my garage once I moved to RVA, so there's not a lot of good pictures of it :smith:

In fact these might be the only couple photos I've taken of the place since I've been here, and it looks nothing like this now:

The carpeted garage in NOVA is still a thing and I may be moving back there if I get this job in Falls Church.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Your avatar isn't joking.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

Look at this scrub without Amazon Prime.

I have Prime, it's just Alaska shipping speeds rather than contiguous US speeds.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
That man is scratching his balls, I can't focus on the bikes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The man looks like he has a serious case of the crotch crickets.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Saw a 275 gallon heat oil tank on craigslist for $40. Then saw they go for cheap all day long. Now I'm researching DIY waste oil heaters.

It never ends, does it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Your avatar isn't joking.
There's 15 more in NOVA. I don't even have time to fix the 5 6 I have down here so I never saw a point in moving the rest.

Elmnt80 posted:

The man looks like he has a serious case of the crotch crickets.
That man IS the crotch crickets.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cabinets are coming along. Slowly but surely:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Went to my grandparents in North Carolina yesterday. My grandpa died a couple of months ago and he wanted me to have all his woodworking tools. I'll take some more pictures when we get them to the garage, but everything he had was at least 50 years old and looks solid.

Here's a blurry picture of the coolest looking one, a 6' tall band saw:

There's also a table saw with a joiner on the side, a drill press, an arm saw, and a wood lathe.

The $600 suspension swap WRX buddy came by to do the sway bar bushings and the incredibly fun trailing arm bushings YAY. I told him they're a bitch, so unfortunately I'd have to charge him two cases of beer:

BUT WHATS THAT LURKING IN THE BACKGROUND?!

I have named the vise Jörmungandr, in honor of Thor's arch-enemy, the snake that grew so large it ate its tail and squeezed the entire world.

Jörmungandr desires the flesh of the unworthy:

I'm glad I went ahead and janky-mounted it to the current cabinets. Slow Is Fast and I did Terrible Robot's trailing arm bushings on the small blue one that was just eaten, and it was a pain in the rear end.

We also got a small propane torch to last me until I find an oxyacetylene cart. The heat made it easier:

Pressing the bushings in:

New trailing arm bushings in:

Jörmungandr proudly displays the spoils of his work for the day:

Payment is made:

He even tipped me in Red Bull and stickers:

What a relaxing Sunday.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ahahaha gently caress yeah!

I'm glad I was able to instill the wisdom and greatness that is Subaru trailing arm bushings.

We made it happen with what we got, but yeah that torch and the vice I'm sure that job was crushed out easy.

Drink a yeungling for me!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

Norse mythology and cars

I'm going to sell my GTI soon but I almost want to keep it just so I can bring it to your place and drink beer with you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

Ahahaha gently caress yeah!

Drink a yeungling for me!

Can confirm that that vise is a god damned monster, and that name is just perfect for such a beast.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Here's a blurry picture of the coolest looking one, a 6' tall band saw:

Look at the loving throat on that thing!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Adiabatic posted:

I have named the vise Jörmungandr, in honor of Thor's arch-enemy, the snake that grew so large it ate its tail and squeezed the entire world.

Jörmungandr desires the flesh of the unworthy:

I almost choked on the chunk of burger I was stuffing in my face hole while reading. That is a bad muthafucking vise.

I'm jealous of all who live near this holy-land of automotive maintenance and questionable morals.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Y'all need to come out of the woodwork soon here. I haven't had a goon come by in a while, and I need some non-Subie content.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Adiabatic posted:

Y'all need to come out of the woodwork soon here. I haven't had a goon come by in a while, and I need some non-Subie content.

When is your january shindig?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I laughed so hard at the snap announcing the vise. I wish you were closer and we could do my trailing arm bushings.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Party is on Saturday, January 10th.

Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'll be there for sure. :D

And yeah, the vise snap had me rollin'

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I'll make the trip down as long as nothing pressing comes up.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but that vise probably hasn't been greased in 40 years, so it would be a worthy investment of your time to take it apart and clean the old grease out with some gasoline or other solvents and re-grease the screw and nut. That should help it last another 70 years.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A CHALLENGER APPEARS:

Thanks GnarlyCharlie4u! You're a cool dude. Let me know when I can come check out your motorcycles, and I'll let you know when the V4 is ready to be in less pieces.

iForge posted:

I'll make the trip down as long as nothing pressing comes up.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but that vise probably hasn't been greased in 40 years, so it would be a worthy investment of your time to take it apart and clean the old grease out with some gasoline or other solvents and re-grease the screw and nut. That should help it last another 70 years.

Will do. It seems to be pretty smooth already but better safe than sorry.

EDIT: The Subaru group is talking a lot about some cool projects:

One has an '08 Legacy he wants to do a manual swap on. This one's mostly just talk though.

One has a Forester he just bought an XT clip for. He's swapping the turbo motor in and RHD converting it.

One just bought an up-pipe and external wastegate from Grimmspeed.

Two are talking about timing belt/pulley jobs.

Hopefully some of that comes my way. I've already put out the offers.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 23, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Glad to see it's found a good home. She's been in my life for the better part of 10 years now.
Let me know when she's operational, I'd like to stick my hot beer in her at least one more time.

And yeah I'd love to help out with the v4 whenever your roomie is ready.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
That vise is METAL AS gently caress

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PaintVagrant posted:

That vise is METAL AS gently caress

It is made of iron, yes.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.

Word, I'll come out for this

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Been sick as a dog the past few days. While I've been laid out on the couch the roommate has been busy cutting wood:

Assembly starts tonight or tomorrow.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

I might be able to make it over.

Adiabatic posted:

...roommate has been busy cutting wood:
I need to find productive roommates

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cabinets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
poo poo that happened fast.
That BMW makes a mighty fine workbench.