Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Games

Today in Baseball History
  • 1905 - Christy Mathewson blanked the Philadelphia Athletics 2-0 to give the New York Giants the World Series in five games. All were shutouts, with Mathewson getting three, Joe McGinnity one, and Chief Bender of Philadelphia one.
  • 1908 - Before the smallest crowd in World Series history (6,210), the Tigers are tamed on three hits by Orval Overall, who fans 10 in a 2-0 win. The Cubs win the World Series in five games.
  • 1909 - George Mullin outlasts three Pirates pitchers for a 5-4 win that sends the World Series to a seventh game in Detroit. This is the first World Series to go the limit.
  • 1965 - Sandy Koufax tossed his second shutout to give the Los Angeles Dodgers a 2-0 victory over the Minnesota Twins and the World Series in seven games.
  • 1972 - Catcher Gene Tenace becomes the first player ever to homer in each of his first two at-bats in the World Series, leading the A's to a 3-2 opening-game win over the Reds.
  • 1975 - The Reds took a 2-1 lead in the World Series with a controversial 6-5, 10-inning victory over the Boston Red Sox in Cincinnati. In the 10th, Reds pinch-hitter Ed Armbrister attempted a sacrifice bunt and bounced the ball in front of the plate. Catcher Carlton Fisk, in an attempt to field the ball, collided with Armbrister and threw the ball into center in an attempt to force Cesar Geronimo at second. Geronimo went to third -- and later scored the game-winner -- and Armbrister moved to second. Home plate umpire Larry Barnett ruled there was no interference despite heated protests by the Red Sox.
  • 1976 - The Yankees dramatically win their 30th pennant on Chris Chambliss' home run in the bottom of the ninth inning. The first baseman's walk-off solo shot beats the Royals in Game Five and the deciding contest of the ALCS, 7-6.
  • 1984 - The Tigers' 8-4 clinching victory over the Padres marks the last time the World Series is played outdoors in sunlight. A single day Fall Classic game is scheduled in 1987, but the contest is played indoors at the Metrodome in Minnesota.
  • 1985 - Ozzie Smith provides one of the most memorable moments in Cardinals history by hitting a dramatic homer to win Game 5 of the NLCS. The round-tripper was the first left handed home run of the Wizard's career, which spans 3009 major league at-bats.
  • 1992 - The Toronto Blue Jays became the first Canadian team to reach the Series with a 9-2 win over the Oakland Athletics in Game 6 of the American League championship series.
  • 1992 - In Game 7 of the NLCS, Francisco Cabrera's ninth inning, two-out pinch hit single tallies two runs, giving the Braves a stunning comeback victory, 3-2 over the Pirates. The backup catcher had only three hits during the regular season.
  • 1997 - The Florida Marlins defeated the Atlanta Braves 7-4 behind Kevin Brown's complete game and Bobby Bonilla's three RBIs, winning the NL championship series 4-2.
  • 1998 - The San Diego Padres reached the World Series for the first time since 1984, shutting down the Atlanta Braves' comeback bid behind MVP Sterling Hitchcock for a 5-0 victory in Game 6 of the NL championship series.
  • 2002 - Light-hitting second baseman Adam Kennedy becomes the fifth player to hit three homers in a postseason game, helping the Angels to secure their first World Series berth in the team's 42-year history. Using a ten-run seventh inning, Anaheim beats the Twins 13-5 to capture the ALCS in five games.
  • 2003 - Holding a 3-0 lead and needing only five more outs to go the World Series for the first time since 1945, the Cubs give up eight runs, on five hits, three walks and an error to the Marlins. The team appears to come apart after a fan, later identified as Steve Bartman, sitting along the left-field line at Wrigley Field, tries to catch a foul ball that was about to be caught by Chicago outfielder Moises Alou for the second out of the inning.
  • 2006 - With a 6-3 victory in Game 4 of the ALCS, Jim Leyland's Tigers sweep the A's to win the American League pennant for the first time since 1984. Magglio Ordonez's dramatic walk-off three-run homer sets off a wild celebration at Comerica Park by the fans, who suffered through an historic 119 loss season just three years ago.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

[*]2003 - Holding a 3-0 lead and needing only five more outs to go the World Series for the first time since 1945, the Cubs give up eight runs, on five hits, three walks and an error to the Marlins. The team appears to come apart after a fan, later identified as Steve Bartman, sitting along the left-field line at Wrigley Field, tries to catch a foul ball that was about to be caught by Chicago outfielder Moises Alou for the second out of the inning.

Thanks for rubbing salt in our wounds...

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

TipsyMc posted:

Thanks for rubbing salt in our wounds...

Hey, it's a bad day in history for me, too.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

[*]1992 - In Game 7 of the NLCS, Francisco Cabrera's ninth inning, two-out pinch hit single tallies two runs, giving the Braves a stunning comeback victory, 3-2 over the Pirates. The backup catcher had only three hits during the regular season.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I clicked through because of the aweomse thread title, even though I knew the Bartman mention was coming :smithicide:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hopefully the Royals sweep so there's no game on Friday

The anniversary of something horrible

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

So glad that Molina is okay even if he doesn't play :unsmith:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I miss scoots :(

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Old man hurling!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GO CARDS

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

I concur.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
So, you may be aware I have been drinking a whiskey for every run the Royals score. So far its been awesome.

Well, unfortunately I'm gonna have to call the whole thing off. Some idiot rear end in a top hat got himself a kidney stone :smith:. Haha, I'm so pathetic. Hopefully I pass this poo poo quickly. Go Royals.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

alpha_destroy posted:

So, you may be aware I have been drinking a whiskey for every run the Royals score. So far its been awesome.

Well, unfortunately I'm gonna have to call the whole thing off. Some idiot rear end in a top hat got himself a kidney stone :smith:. Haha, I'm so pathetic. Hopefully I pass this poo poo quickly. Go Royals.

take a picture when it comes out

a rock from your dong

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

alpha_destroy posted:

Oh, ouch. I had a stone about a year ago and it was PAINFUL. Drink tons of water.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Everyone do the Bartman

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Big zone

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
It's that time again

Go Giants

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm rooting for chaos.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Holliday it would be good if you start hitting.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Zythrst posted:

yeah...

not a great start.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Zythrst posted:

I seem to remember him doing that once upon a time. That was nice.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Not pictured - the height of the right field wall.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Nice work, Jay

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Nice!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

:tviv:

hell of a catch :stare:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
ah jeez panik will get one of those one of these days

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I thought that was a double. Good play.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yay, Posey doing stuff

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

lot of hard contact....

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

JosefStalinator posted:

Yay, Posey doing stuff

ah you're ahead of me. no spoilers!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Akbar posted:

ah you're ahead of me. no spoilers!

Pablo is fat

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Harold Reynolds classic: http://haroldreynolds.mlblogs.com/2009/06/18/enjoy-it-for-what-its-worth/#comment-11

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Radio audio is best audio

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Gah cmon guys

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

No, Eric, gently caress you

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Today the bloops and grounders shall walk the earth!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good, get through some stranded baserunners so later ones might actually score

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
Pence Do A Thing

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

motherfucker.

• Locked thread