Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Oh, thanks for the clarification.

I kind of think Carpet was lying though, but I'm afraid to vote yet since I seem to be really bad at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shamelessly stolen from Fathis

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

The one on the left looks like total scum.

I may not post a lot tomorrow, I'm participating in the Extra-Life gaming marathon. Since this Mafia thread technically counts as gaming I don't feel bad taking breaks to post as much as I can, however. Also, go find the thread in Games and donate townie friends/scum jerks!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
How do Atrocious Toaster and Pez feel about each other?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I need to go back and read through his posts, because I barely remember him posting anything

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Maybe I should pull a George Costanza and vote opposite what I think

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
So I was re-reading posts and I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea who needs to be lynched so I'm gonna go sleep and see if I can actually get a read on someone tomorrow.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

I'm calling Atrocious Toaster/Pez scum team with a side of either Kerro or Dragonatrix.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

So here is a story for you guys.

I decided I would read through every single player who is still alive in this game. As I was reading I wrote down the instances where each player pointed their finger at someone else. I used a colour-coding system to do this.

Blue was for 'gently nudging' or implying another player 'might' be scum. Black was for normal straightforward reads, like saying 'why did you do that, you seem scum'. Pink was for hard and fast cases or people saying 'wow, I am sure this person is scum.' I also noted in orange when players actively defended other players.

Doing this required paying a lot more attention to everything than I had done before. I noticed when people did things that seemed fishy, and I even gathered up quotes from people who looked particularly bad to make cases later. I noticed while going through their posts that Pez and Atrocious Toaster were saying some pretty weird stuff (which I will post in a moment). But I didn't make any connections at the time because I was looking at everyone on an individual basis at this time.

When I had written everything out I closed the thread and looked at what I had. I had done all this in order to figure out who WASN'T talking about each other because I figured it would bring us a closer to catching the scum team. There were some players who's information was essentially useless, like Hiipfire and blacknyte, so I pushed them aside. This left me with:

Fast Luck
Atrocious Toaster
Dragonatrix
Pez
Epsilon Plus
Kerro

I wrote all their names down again and this time I listed in one colour the people they had not talked about, and in another colour the people they did talk about (the final image).

I tried to figure out who could possibly be the scum team. I noted that Fast Luck and Dragonatrix had both actively talked about each other's scumminess in the thread, and knew they were likely not on a scum team together. In fact, Fast Luck had actually talked about the scumminess of 3 other people in the group and since I have been reading him as town I ruled him out. Kerro and Dragon also talked about each other's scumminess, so they also probably weren't on a team together. Epsilon had avoided talking about most people but had also posted barely anything so I had trouble there.

There were two people who managed to combine with just about every possible person on my list (meaning they hadn't called out other people on the list as scummy), most importantly each other. This is important for two reasons: 1) these people didn't want to point out their scum buds, and 2) these people were making safer reads by calling out fewer people and sticking with the crowd opinion.

Pez's history of who he thought was scum or voted for being scum upon my initial colour-coding read had looked incredibly scummy, and on top of that when I opened the tabs full of quotes I found fishy I noticed I had gathered stuff for Pez, Atrocious Toaster and Fast Luck, but Fast Luck's was pretty much a single quote (which I'll post if anyone still wants to see it). This is the point where I was like 'wtf, how did I overlook this'.

I'm feeling pretty good about Pez, AT and Dragon for scum, especially since they all voted for Fathis.

Another thing that makes me wonder is that Pez made this post:

Pez posted:

Or C)they're both town and you're trying to push everyone into a choice of wrong votes

in reaction to AT discussing Dragon and I going at each other. I feel like it could be an in-fight to protect Dragon and look like they are not on a team together.

Anyway, I don't expect anyone else to pour over the images of the notes I gathered, but if you do and you see anything I overlooked please share! I wanted to include them as a reference to show you guys I wasn't just pulling this out of my rear end, and also because you can verify the info with the thread or look for things that I may have not noticed.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Oh, also of my scum picks I'm going to ##vote Pez because look at this:

Pez posted:

I haven't posted a lot because I really don't know what to say at this point. I still suspect Blacknyte and Fathis but I don't want to keep repeating the same arguments over and over.

Fathis is my number 1 pick but I haven't changed votes yet. Waiting to see where the group goes so we don't have another no lynch day if possible.

Here are those 'same arguments' (which I would hardly call arguments) Pez doesn't want to repeat about Fathis:

Pez posted:

I'm sticking with Fathis. Gut instinct and all that. Also I'm not entirely sure how to change votes.

Pez posted:

I am utterly confused at this point, so I'm leaving my vote where it is for now.

And also these ones he made in joke phase:

Pez posted:

I never said I sided with Kerro, I just wondered what was going on and thought Fathis Munk was being suspiciously wishy washy. Don't toast me bro!

Pez posted:

Why is everyone voting for Kerro? Fathis Munk is the one that's being suspicious, talking all murdery one minute and peaceful the next. Not to mention stumbling over his post syntax. Rock the vote!

##vote Fathis Munk

I can't even believe I didn't see that Pez voted for Fathis and literally just pretended to have solid reasons for doing so.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

The Carpet Shark posted:

a hell of a post!

I like you. If this turns out to be a good system I may use it in the future.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Well that cinches it for me, Carpet can't be a cop unless he is dumb enough to vote without using his power to see someone's allegiance first.

##vote The Carpet Shark

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Also when I said "I don't want to repeat the same arguments over and over" I was referring to what everyone was posting, not just myself. I admitted I screwed up voting Fathis, and you I wasn't sure about. But your "wink wink" cop posts had me second guessing myself about you, until you voted for me. It proves you are scum or just a really bad cop, and I'm betting scum since you seem to have a set group to try and get voted off. Voting me off just makes the town that much closer to losing, and I think you know that.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Pez posted:

Well that cinches it for me, Carpet can't be a cop unless he is dumb enough to vote without using his power to see someone's allegiance first.

##vote The Carpet Shark

Or maybe I figured I'd either be voted out or night killed before I had a chance to actually use said power, so I made sure to figure poo poo out the good old fashioned way and then post it. I was dumb enough to imply I was cop in the first place, I'm trying to fix my mistake.

Pez posted:

Voting me off just makes the town that much closer to losing

Same.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Pez posted:

Also when I said "I don't want to repeat the same arguments over and over" I was referring to what everyone was posting, not just myself. I admitted I screwed up voting Fathis, and you I wasn't sure about. But your "wink wink" cop posts had me second guessing myself about you, until you voted for me.

So you decided to coast off of everyone else's arguments and a 'gut feeling' or the fact that you were too lazy to shift your vote. Solid. And I guess saying you screwed up on Fathis is truly the ultimate proof you are town. Nice segue into shifting things onto me by the way.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

You are the one who came out implying you knew who was who then promptly voting for a townie

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

It's late and I'm just catching up on posts before bed, here's some real quick thoughts:

I really like how you laid everything out Carpet Shark. Cool idea with the color code system. I'm still a bit iffy on your alignment due to the weird cop-talk, but with how much effort you put in to that I'm having trouble seeing you as scum.

I am finding it kind of weird though that you seemed to be 100% sure that Dragonatrix was scum and now you are backing off that a little and saying the scum is me/pez and MAYBE dragonatrix.

Pez posted:

It proves you are scum or just a really bad cop, and I'm betting scum since you seem to have a set group to try and get voted off.
Isn't this exactly what I just said a few posts back that you had a problem with? :confused:

AtrociousToaster posted:

A) Carpet Shark is a cop and saw Dragonatrix scum and he's doing a really poor job of subtly letting us know that
B) Carpet Shark is a scum and pretending to be a cop to get off Dragonatrix

It seems to me like you didn't have any problem with Carpet Shark and then as soon as you came onto his radar you decided he needs to be lynched.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Pez posted:

You are the one who came out implying you knew who was who then promptly voting for a townie

This is bad reasoning, just like everything else ##vote Pez

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

AtrociousToaster posted:

I am finding it kind of weird though that you seemed to be 100% sure that Dragonatrix was scum and now you are backing off that a little and saying the scum is me/pez and MAYBE dragonatrix.

Since my vote on Dragonatrix didn't go over well but I still think he is scum I was trying to base my large post purely off of the info I gathered that everyone can see. I feel like there's already going to be some focus on Dragon as scum if I die, so I want to point out first and foremost the scummy people I didn't notice before and that I think are going to fly under the radar.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Well drat carpet shark
##vote Pez

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

You are all idiots

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

And for clarification- the reason carpet "came on to my radar" was because I thought he might legit be the cop, but then he voted for me. I know I'm town, so like I said, either he's a lovely cop or he's scum throwing another townie under scrutiny.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
then convince me youre town instead of just claiming town

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

How exactly can I do that, it's not like I can produce papers. How do I know you're town? You voted Fathis last time too and didn't change until he was already lynched.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

You know looking at Carpet's sperg post, I'm really wondering if he's gone so far as to list the entire remaining town under "suspicious" and casually push aside his scum buddies as "unremarkable"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pez posted:

You know looking at Carpet's sperg post, I'm really wondering if he's gone so far as to list the entire remaining town under "suspicious" and casually push aside his scum buddies as "unremarkable"
I noticed, and really didn't like, how Carpet just tossed HiipFire and blacknyte out of the analysis. I understand they may not have offered anything useful but they still made votes and stuff. And then Epsilon somehow did have enough to be placed on the first list but was bumped off the second list for not having enough material. Basically, for Carpet Shark, I think the work they did on that is really impressive, but I don't like lurkers basically being removed from their analysis.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I will say it's hard to imagine scum doing all that work, but when you have three votes against you and have some kind of cop claim thing that's not working out, I could see it being done to save yourself. Also, another reason to cop claim almost, but not exactly, would be if you're scum and don't know if there's a real cop out there who could blow up a hard claim. It might sound crazy but I'd probably rather vote Carpet Shark than Pez. That said, I'd really prefer to vote someone else entirely.

Why not Pez? Honestly Pez has been way too straightforward all game for me to suspect scum. I don't see it in Carpet Shark's notes but I know I've thrown out some slight defenses of Pez several times.

I don't think scum would tunnel on Fathis the way Pez did. That's not a scum move, there was no need for scum to destroy Fathis at all costs, and since scum would know the flip is going to come in as town, they'd know it wouldn't look good to go so hard at one player. I also thought Pez's reaction post flip seemed pretty genuine.

Sadly, Pez is one of the only people I have a meaningful town lean on... so I still feel someone stumped here. However, I think ##vote Epsilon Plus is the way to go.

In the first few days, Epsilon didn't post. When Epsilon finally sprang into action, the lurking was bad enough it was probably approaching the point of a mod kill. The majority of Epsilon's helpful posts are about rules, technical details, etc. I didn't like what seemed like fake optimism about our chances.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Pez, however, has this gem:

which is coming across as overly panicky and dripping with concern. Hint: we're not losing. The entire town wins as a unit when we can get the scum. We have a 50/50 on getting a cop, which will nearly guarantee a townie win assuming they investigate right. Basically instead of scumhunting, you're just publicly fretting, and I don't like it.

##vote Pez
That was also the second half of Epsilon's only real casing post, on a target I disagree with, and for reasons that I find to be rah-rah town BS that real town wouldn't hold. Epsilon then votes Pez again a little later, after Carpet's post, even though Ep's vote was already on Pez.

Btw, I'll be around before the deadline, but I'll be a bit busy this weekend. I might be able to check in a few times, not sure, but I'll definitely be back the last few hours before the deadline.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
If we go an additional day without lynching Dragonatrix when pretty much everyone in the game agrees that he's acting scummy, we're going to lose this game. This is the second day in a row where he is right at the cusp of being lynched/voted onto to have some random candidate pushed.

Please answer this question: Do you think Dragonatrix is scum or town?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

That was also the second half of Epsilon's only real casing post, on a target I disagree with, and for reasons that I find to be rah-rah town BS that real town wouldn't hold. Epsilon then votes Pez again a little later, after Carpet's post, even though Ep's vote was already on Pez.

I will admit that I totally spaced that I had already voted Pez. On the other hand, now I have two reasons to vote Pez, so thanks.

Seriously, though:

Pez posted:

And for clarification- the reason carpet "came on to my radar" was because I thought he might legit be the cop, but then he voted for me. I know I'm town, so like I said, either he's a lovely cop or he's scum throwing another townie under scrutiny.

"I am town so vote the guy who made a case against me" is the weakest justification for a vote and if you can't realize that then... well, I'm not sure how I can convince you claiming vanilla town is a poor strategy.

(p.s. I'm town too don't lynch me!!!)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh, you were right about that post, but looking at the complete Pez picture I just don't feel it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blacknyte posted:

If we go an additional day without lynching Dragonatrix when pretty much everyone in the game agrees that he's acting scummy, we're going to lose this game. This is the second day in a row where he is right at the cusp of being lynched/voted onto to have some random candidate pushed.

But in this case, the person beside yourself that was building pressure on Dragon was Carpet Shark, and it was also Carpet Shark that made the case on the next candidate, Pez. So if you're thinking scum is diverting pressure off Dragonatrix, it doesn't make sense in this case. As for my opinion on Dragonatrix, could vote if it came down to it, but basically in my big pile of unknown players.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There was a time I thought Dragonatrix was scummy. It was after we no lynched day one and actually looked like we may possibly get a lynch on Fathis day two, and Dragonatrix removed a vote from Fathis and started a new campaign on me. At that point I thought Dragon was derailing a good lynch and we were going to end up no lynching again. But Fathis was town, so that read kind of dried up after the flip.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

blacknyte posted:

Yep. I would still absolutely like to vote this way if possible. If not, I really do think there is merit to looking at who has been interacting with each other and who hasn't.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

I noticed, and really didn't like, how Carpet just tossed HiipFire and blacknyte out of the analysis. I understand they may not have offered anything useful but they still made votes and stuff. And then Epsilon somehow did have enough to be placed on the first list but was bumped off the second list for not having enough material. Basically, for Carpet Shark, I think the work they did on that is really impressive, but I don't like lurkers basically being removed from their analysis.

I knocked you off the list too Fast Luck, and you clearly aren't a lurker. I was narrowing things down, it doesn't mean I'm unwilling to listen to other people's ideas about who is scum. I'm not casting those lurkers off entirely, but when two of them have repeated votes for the same person over and over (and one of them votes themselves, I mean c'mon) it is hard to look at that and draw any definite conclusions. I really didn't feel like I got enough information from their posting or Epsilon's to be able to say whether they were scum or not. If you guys think you can, or if my post helps you do that then that would be cool and I'd like to hear about it. Anyway, in my post I chose the people who looked the worst to me and decided my vote based on that. Pretty straight forward imo.

I did notice Epsilon has been acting a bit weird though. This concerns me a bit:

Epsilon Plus posted:

This is bad reasoning, just like everything else ##vote Pez

because I'm wary of people not 'explaining to the class' when they make an early vote. At the same time, Pez simply saying 'you're scum because you want me out and I'm town!' is bad reasoning and I can just as easily make the same argument about Pez.

I'll read Epsilon again. I think your point about them saying Pez was scummy for being panicky was decent, because I also felt a bit of panic was justified and that part of Pez's posting seemed fine to me.

Fast Luck posted:

As for my opinion on Dragonatrix, could vote if it came down to it, but basically in my big pile of unknown players.

Could we make the unknown pile a little more known, though? I really don't mind people having differing opinions from me on who they think is scum, but each of us should really start narrowing things down or we won't have much to go off of.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Carpet Shark posted:

I knocked you off the list too Fast Luck, and you clearly aren't a lurker. I was narrowing things down, it doesn't mean I'm unwilling to listen to other people's ideas about who is scum. I'm not casting those lurkers off entirely, but when two of them have repeated votes for the same person over and over (and one of them votes themselves, I mean c'mon) it is hard to look at that and draw any definite conclusions.
Well, when you say, like, "gee, HiipFire hasn't given us enough to work with," couldn't that be a scum tactic? One funny thing is that I believe both Hiip and Ep have at one point 'today' said "maybe we should target a lurker" which, well, lol? It's like they're lurking while trying to say they're not lurking or something (even if Epsilon is more actively posting now).

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

Well, when you say, like, "gee, HiipFire hasn't given us enough to work with," couldn't that be a scum tactic? One funny thing is that I believe both Hiip and Ep have at one point 'today' said "maybe we should target a lurker" which, well, lol? It's like they're lurking while trying to say they're not lurking or something (even if Epsilon is more actively posting now).

It could be, it's true. They both voted for Fathis. Hiip has voted for themselves, Allen Wren, Fathis and now Pez.

I don't think they could be on a scum team together though since Hiip suggested killing Epsilon for lurking at one point. Although they also voted themselves so they could be using it to try and appear not scummy. It seems risky to rely on the town's incompetence though, even if we have been pretty scattered.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

You are all completely wrong. But feel free to vote me off, this town deserves to lose. In 3 votes we'll have had no lynch, a townie, and I'll be another townie. Good job.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Nice alt Allen

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

The difference is Allen didn't make a case he just freaked out at day one accusations. Plus it's frustrating knowing your side is about to lose this badly, we didn't get any scum voted out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, there's still over a day before the deadline. Seems a bit preemptive to be throwing in the towel so soon and suddenly. :shrug:

• Locked thread