Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

bargain if you're planning to go sbl, not that amazing otherwise. idk how well sbl and conj combine but you can probably make it work if you really want.

I can blind guys and turn invisible so I get some stabbing opportunities. Plus as a draconian with no armor I can sneak up on dudes anyway without even training stealth. I haven't trained short blades all that much yet so I could still switch to crosstrained long blades. Would that be a better choice? I'm also using a shield.

Edit: Pre-lair I'm already having attacks do 0 damage with a +4 dagger so maybe short blades aren't that good?

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Draconians are just really good, for new players too i suppose. You can basically do anything you want with a draconian and if anything you can usually abuse the poo poo out of your XL-7 breath attack. You don't have to worry about armor at all. They can only wear capes/hats/shoes/gloves and get natural AC to compensate.

They are my favorite species, really...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

Edit: Pre-lair I'm already having attacks do 0 damage with a +4 dagger so maybe short blades aren't that good?

they are good to stab with

they are generally not good to stand in pitched combat and slash at people with except in niche circumstances

p much as expected really

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'll probably just look for a good long blade then. I wanted this guy to be a hybrid fighter guy and not a stabby guy anyway.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i don't know

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

yo im getting sick of trapsing through pandemonium finding gently caress all. this is my first time in postgame and it's packed full of lovely tier 4 demons and nothingness :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Stoat posted:

yo im getting sick of trapsing through pandemonium finding gently caress all. this is my first time in postgame and it's packed full of lovely tier 4 demons and nothingness :argh:
Sounds like you're getting the correct postgame experience. If you stick with it, eventually you'll get to do tomb(which is 3 levels of mummies, mummies, and a few new enemies added because people complained about the mummies) and hells(which is like pan, except with less wandering forever and more unavoidable bad effects at random intervals).

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I died because a pan lord turned me into an ice beast

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Haifisch posted:

Sounds like you're getting the correct postgame experience. If you stick with it, eventually you'll get to do tomb(which is 3 levels of mummies, mummies, and a few new enemies added because people complained about the mummies) and hells(which is like pan, except with less wandering forever and more unavoidable bad effects at random intervals).

tomb is like less than 50% mummies these days, I think.

hell is insanely good, and always has been. you go through creepy dangerous places and dive like crazy while under the constant threat of bad poo poo falling on your head. it's a very different experience from the rest of crawl, in a good way.

but yeah pan is really bad. it's kind of unfortunate, there are a few neat enemies there these days, it's just that an "infinite dungeon" is just such a fundamentally terrible design.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

there should be like intermission levels through pan on the way to other stuff

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pan-difficulty versions of the lair branches would make it less samey

Until you got Pan Shoals and didn't have flight >:D

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PleasingFungus posted:

it's just that an "infinite dungeon" is just such a fundamentally terrible design.
and yet crawl has two of those. makes you think.

I think abyss by itself or pan by itself might be okay, but two infinite branches is Bad and Not Good and all that.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

and yet crawl has two of those. makes you think.

I think abyss by itself or pan by itself might be okay, but two infinite branches is Bad and Not Good and all that.

the abyss is good, because it's its own thing. really distinct levels, enemies, etc.

pan is just The Dungeon, But Infinite And Only Demons. which is really bad!

Stoat posted:

Pan-difficulty versions of the lair branches would make it less samey

Until you got Pan Shoals and didn't have flight >:D

lol if you're in extended without flight

several coc/geh endings won't let you reach the rune at all without flight (or teleport spamming). pretty funny if you get all the way to the bottom and have to go back because you don't got either

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Pan is definitely my least favorite branch but Tomb is up there.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Abyss is the chillest branch because there's always a new surprise~

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I don't think Abyss is that great because it's fundamentally tied to the fucktarded banishment mechanic.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think Abyss is that great because it's fundamentally tied to the fucktarded banishment mechanic.

Erolcha Did Nothing Wrong

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i thought pan was fun, but abyss is real bad

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Banishment is a learning moment

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The trick to the Abyss is having high stealth and just ducking corners all the loving tyme until lucy has mercy on your soul and spawns an exit.
Getting marked over there is the single worst thing that can happen probably but i do like the flavor of the byss

then you could also play as a lugonu knight and just banish the poo poo out of everything that looks funny and escape the abyss with a 2button press :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Guess im gonna do just that and run some Lucy Spawn or Dracos cus my attempts at getting hydra form castable on a char is going absolutely nowhere :/

• Locked thread