Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The bulge in the iMac will probably always be there as long as they keep offering platter drives in the iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
Based on what we know of the new Mac minis, is there a sweet spot to order? It seems like maybe the $699 model?

I ask because my dad's old PowerMac G5 has finally gone kaput and he needs a new machine to do mainly Photoshop and Illustrator work on. Even the $499 Mac mini is probably faster than what he has, but I'd like to get him something nice that'll last a while.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

alakath posted:

Based on what we know of the new Mac minis, is there a sweet spot to order? It seems like maybe the $699 model?

I ask because my dad's old PowerMac G5 has finally gone kaput and he needs a new machine to do mainly Photoshop and Illustrator work on. Even the $499 Mac mini is probably faster than what he has, but I'd like to get him something nice that'll last a while.

Probably? Seriously? That mini is 10000x faster.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
The new iMac makes anyone buying a Thunderbolt Display look like an rear end in a top hat. Also, will buy the new air providing it's got 2gb of ram.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

lord funk posted:

Probably? Seriously? That mini is 10000x faster.

Yeah, bad word choice on the "probably." His G5 is dog-slow.

But seriously, though: is the $699 model with no upgrades the way to go if you're considering a Mac mini?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ugh, that 16GB in the new iMac really burns my rear end. I didn't care about it in the phone, because I had already been planning on buying the middle level phone when I presumed it would be 32GB, so I saw it as getting double the storage for free.

But with the iPad, I was planning to buy the lowest level, so only getting 16GB feels like I'm getting ripped off.

EDIT: And no orientation lock switch :argh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Get the $699 mini with a Fusion drive, that makes it $899, that seems like a sweet spot to me, you get the faster GPU and lots of storage and it's not over $1k.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
so Im totally considering the new iMac for work / gaming. I'm obvioulsy going to want to upgrade the graphics card. I am guessing there is no need to upgrade the CPU?

Also, do we know if you can upgrade the ram yourself?

Finally, am I nuts to switch the 1tb drive for the 256 flash drive? I hate mechanical drives now that I used a ssd. Plus, the fusion drive isnt usable in bootcamp.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

G5ANDY posted:

The new iMac makes anyone buying a Thunderbolt Display look like an rear end in a top hat. Also, will buy the new air providing it's got 2gb of ram.

That's a thought, as it also makes people who bought Mac Pros just to shove a 4K screen on look dopey. You would hope Apple does something to correct this as Pros are a lot more money.. wonder what the refresh rate is in 5K?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm kinda worried about pulling the trigger on a 5K iMac because I don't want to update to Creative Cloud and apparently InDesign CS6 does not and will not ever support Retina. There goes my most important use for a Retina display. :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bonobos posted:

so Im totally considering the new iMac for work / gaming. I'm obvioulsy going to want to upgrade the graphics card. I am guessing there is no need to upgrade the CPU?

You can get .5 GHz more for $250, but I doubt it'd be worth it.

quote:

Also, do we know if you can upgrade the ram yourself?

Yep. Says user accessible right on the webpage

quote:

Finally, am I nuts to switch the 1tb drive for the 256 flash drive? I hate mechanical drives now that I used a ssd. Plus, the fusion drive isnt usable in bootcamp.

you can get a bigger flash, but the 1 TB is a 5400 RPM platter drive which sucks moose balls so nah its not crazy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So the ONLY difference in the new mini vs mini 2 is touchID. That's seriously it? So I can pay $400 for touch id and 16gb, or $349 for no touch id and 32gb? Haha that's stupid as gently caress.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

So the ONLY difference in the new mini vs mini 2 is touchID. That's seriously it? So I can pay $400 for touch id and 16gb, or $349 for no touch id and 32gb? Haha that's stupid as gently caress.

But gold!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm... if anything, that makes the $349 iPad mini 2 a pretty good deal now. You'd probably have a good chance of getting a refurbished one for even cheaper, too.

EDIT: Yup, $299:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE277/refurbished-ipad-mini-2-wi-fi-32gb-space-gray

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

alakath posted:

This is what is always frustrating about the mini pricing. In theory, it's a cheap computer, but it gets expensive very fast by the time you make it not suck. Eventually it crosses over with a Macbook Air which has the benefit of portability.

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

Bonobos posted:

I would definitely get the flash drive. I hate going back to computers with mechanical drives because they are so slow. Just get an external drive if you need bulk storage.

Fake edit: My 6 year old laptop crushes my work computer for everyday use (email, Office, etc.) because I put an SSD in it and work computer has an i7 but a crappy 5400 rpm mechanical drive .

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I've been googling around but can't find anything. What time do the iPad orders go online? Am I staying up until 2am like I did with my iPhone?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mulls posted:

I've been googling around but can't find anything. What time do the iPad orders go online? Am I staying up until 2am like I did with my iPhone?

Most likely midnight pacific time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Most likely midnight pacific time.

I'm totally taking a nap now and setting an alarm for 1:30am.

Thanks!

• Locked thread