Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Didn't we just have one of these events? No bother, maybe they'll get the streaming right this time. What can we expect from the event?
  • iPad Air 2: This is basically guaranteed as the updated Apple iPad User Guide leaked today showing the new iPads with Touch ID sensor. Also expecting A8X, 2GB of RAM, and possibly a resolution bump as evidenced by 3x iPad assets.
  • iPad Mini 3: Similar to the Air 2, this is a lock.
  • 12" iPad Pro: Don't bet on it.
  • iOS 8.1: Bug fixes, mostly. Camera Roll is back, I guess.
  • Apple Pay: Part of iOS 8.1 and expected to go live sometime around October 18-20.
  • Mac refreshes: Rumors keep swirling about a Retina iMac, and others are clamoring for Broadwell Macs. However, Intel's timeline only shows BGA, SoC-type Broadwell parts for tablets/ultrabooks this year. The socket 1150 (read: desktop) parts are coming next year.
  • OS X Yosemite: Some folks are saying it'll be released tomorrow, but my money's on next week following Apple's earnings call a la Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks before it. Apple's got a rather predictable system now. Maybe developers will get a GM tomorrow.
Live stream from Apple: Right here.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Already in line at the Apple Store.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Looking forward to the iPhone mini announcement

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if TouchID + iOS 8.1 might bring Apple's version of user accounts? The groundwork already seems to be there with Apple IDs, TouchID, and the family sharing stuff that landed in iOS8. Regardless, I'm hoping for a polished, smooth presentation tomorrow. Apple's been uncharacteristically sloppy lately. :(

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

User Accounts is killer feature that would make me interested in purchasing an iPad. I know many (all?) Android tablets have this, but my wife and I are tied into Apple's ecosystem, happy with our phones. But we're not interested in having to log each other in and out of Facebook or email.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I guess they probably won't hype the watch again...but I wish they would.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
There's already been 3 Yosemite GM candidates, and the latest has most if not all features going, as well as good battery life (indicates most of the error logging has been removed).

Is iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay going live today? I'm ready to go buy some stuff at the store!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't wait to order a retina Macbook Air today.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Is iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay going live today? I'm ready to go buy some stuff at the store!
Most everything I've read from rumors to internal documents say it will go live on Monday. USAA (my bank) says they will not support it until November 7th. While that sucks, USAA is the only financial institution that I am actually glad to have oversee my vast fortune (read: $20 bucks).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Come on iTunes Radio Canada :saddowns:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I just want one thing: an iPod Touch 6th generation. Just strip the phone functionality out of the iPhone 5c and call it a day.

But I am a fool to dream.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

delfin posted:

I just want one thing: an iPod Touch 6th generation. Just strip the phone functionality out of the iPhone 5c and call it a day.

But I am a fool to dream.
Yeah, I really want that, too, iPod Touch buddy. 2 years with no update is feeling rough.
I'd hope for at least 5s-level parity, though, not just 5.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Kobayashi posted:

I wonder if TouchID + iOS 8.1 might bring Apple's version of user accounts? The groundwork already seems to be there with Apple IDs, TouchID, and the family sharing stuff that landed in iOS8. Regardless, I'm hoping for a polished, smooth presentation tomorrow. Apple's been uncharacteristically sloppy lately. :(

Apple wants you to think of an iOS device like your toothbrush: use it every day, buy a new one every once in a while, and never ever share it even with people you're really close to. The point of touch ID is to uniquely link the device to you, not to let a bunch of different people log in.

If they do change course and introduce something as big as user accounts, though, it won't be on a point release.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Multiple users will require more than 16gb storage, that's for sure.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Hoping for an iMac refresh. A 21.5" non-retina with a decent discrete graphics card would be perfect.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
I wonder if the livestream will actually work this time. The September event was a farce. It alternated between Chinese dubbed coverage, and no coverage.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So is it now unlikely that we'll see a Mac Mini refresh/update?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple probably took steps after the other event to make sure that crap doesn't happen again. They tend to obsess with anything related to their image.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I'd also wager that being at their normal venue will probably help.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe 8.1 on the iPad will have that split-screen apps thingie.

It feels like they need *something* interesting to talk about. If it's really just iPad updates and they are just small improvements, why even bother with an event?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mikul posted:

I wonder if the livestream will actually work this time. The September event was a farce. It alternated between Chinese dubbed coverage, and no coverage.

I can live with a Chinese dub, as long as it means there's an actual stream up at least. Still allows me to read all the fancy slides with pretty pictures.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't give a hoot about the new iPads, but I am curious about the Retina iMac and wish they'd provide some sort of insight into their AppleTV plans, but I think even they don't know what they're going to do yet.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I read somewhere that the connectivity problems had something to do with the constant refresh of their live blog triggering constant recaching of their website every second for every user who was looking at their desktop/mobile page. I'm probably explaining that wrong but that was the gist of the article I read. Hopefully they've learned from that mistake.

So far I don't see a live blog going, just a placeholder for the video player.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Apple probably took steps after the other event to make sure that crap doesn't happen again. They tend to obsess with anything related to their image.

Also, it seems iPad launches don't have the same hype surrounding them as iPhones. As an Air owner, I'm not even that fussed about this one. Touch ID and a thinner device wont tempt me to spend hundreds of pounds on a tablet for the second time in a year.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

mikul posted:

Also, it seems iPad launches don't have the same hype surrounding them as iPhones. As an Air owner, I'm not even that fussed about this one. Touch ID and a thinner device wont tempt me to spend hundreds of pounds on a tablet for the second time in a year.
I'm still rocking an iPad 3 (The New iPad), and I have absolutely no desire to upgrade.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

mikul posted:

Tablets seem to have a more PC-esque upgrade window that amounts to a few years. I'm guessing it's because you don't use the iPad as much as you use a phone on a daily basis and the things you do with it don't evolve as much between each iteration. You can browse the web and make bad posts to SA with an iPad 2 just as well as an iPad Air.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm still rocking an iPad 3 (The New iPad), and I have absolutely no desire to upgrade.

I'm in the same boat. I wish I had the newer lightning adapter for charging purposes, but that's not worth paying to upgrade. The 3 does everything I need it to, the only other thing that would push me to update is fear that being as many generations behind as I am means ios 9 won't install on it next year and the resell value will tank more because of that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

kinda hoping to see an updated mini

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stream is doing stuff... it's not a broadcast truck!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

phosdex posted:

kinda hoping to see an updated mini
It's already confirmed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there a link to watch this on Windows through VLC like there was for the iPhone event? If not, it's cool, I'll just watch it on my 6.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My butt is lubed up and ready to go. Hopefully the new iPads will be available to order right after the address.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

I read somewhere that the connectivity problems had something to do with the constant refresh of their live blog triggering constant recaching of their website every second for every user who was looking at their desktop/mobile page. I'm probably explaining that wrong but that was the gist of the article I read. Hopefully they've learned from that mistake.

That was definitely what that blog post said. It wasn't very technically sound though, and got reblogged a lot before people realized it was kinda bullshit. For instance, no reason that would cause problems with Apple TV streaming.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

McFunkerson posted:

I'm in the same boat. I wish I had the newer lightning adapter for charging purposes, but that's not worth paying to upgrade. The 3 does everything I need it to, the only other thing that would push me to update is fear that being as many generations behind as I am means ios 9 won't install on it next year and the resell value will tank more because of that.

I'm in the opposite boat. I have an iPad 3, and ever since iOS 8 i've been feeling some definitely slowness. Everything in the OS feels jittery and sluggish, and god help me if I try to load a thread or website with a ton of images on it.

If the new Air has 2GB of RAM, I'm in.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
VLC Streaming link:
code:
http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/14pounqefvoiubefvpiub10/m3u8/sl_mvp.m3u8

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

CoasterMaster posted:

VLC Streaming link:
code:
http://p.events-delivery.apple.com.edgesuite.net/14pounqefvoiubefvpiub10/m3u8/sl_mvp.m3u8
Thanks!

Daddy wants a new Mac Mini. Come on, Mac Mini.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

iPhone release video. Ugh.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Incoming "we have sold millions of these"

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

iPhone release video. Ugh.

I find these things very creepy and unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Guess they're not showing the video of the guy that purchased the first iPhone 6

• Locked thread