Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
Holy crap, that base-model Mac Mini has the dog-slow 1.4Ghz dual core i5. Same as the new base model iMac. Blegh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Any idea if the 5k iMac has user upgradeable ram? I assume so as the normal 27inch does.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

badjohny posted:

Any idea if the 5k iMac has user upgradeable ram? I assume so as the normal 27inch does.
I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't. Every iMac has had upgradeable RAM.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

new mini specs are up

$499 gets you 1.4 GHz i5 turbo boost to 2.7 GHz, 500 GB 5400 platter drive, 4 GB RAM (ugh), Intel HD 5000

$599 gets you 2.6 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB platter drive, Iris (fancy name for Intel HD 5100)

$999 gets you 2.8 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Fuchsia drive, Iris

802.11ac wireless across the board

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

badjohny posted:

Sure, if you like guitar picks and foam tape.

I'm super-excited about the inevitable quad-1440p Cinema Display, because it'll lead to a whole new generation of kickass cheap Korean monitors.

Belan
May 7, 2007

tarzanspuma posted:

Holy crap, that base-model Mac Mini has the dog-slow 1.4Ghz dual core i5. Same as the new base model iMac. Blegh.

Didn't the previous base model have 2.5Ghz i5? How does that compare?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't. Every iMac has had upgradeable RAM.

I should say easily upgradeable ram. the 21.5 inch has upgradeable ram, but you have to put some work into it. the 27 has a panel you remove and your good to go.

edit
excellent. time to buy one.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 16, 2014

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

badjohny posted:

It does:

http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

badjohny posted:

http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/

quote:

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
Configurable to 16GB or 32GB.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

badjohny posted:

It probably does since it has the same RAM hatch in the back. Ever upgrade the RAM on a post-2012 iMac? You have to hit a button hidden in the AC plug-in socket, it pushes the hatch out, then the RAM comes out on this cantilevered bomb bay rack kinda thing, neat. No more forcing chips into a narrow slot.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Binary Badger posted:

new mini specs are up

$499 gets you 1.4 GHz i5 turbo boost to 2.7 GHz, 500 GB 5400 platter drive, 4 GB RAM (ugh), Intel HD 5000

$599 gets you 2.6 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB platter drive, Iris (fancy name for Intel HD 5100)

$999 gets you 2.8 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Fuchsia drive, Iris

802.11ac wireless across the board

That mid-level option is actually $699.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They do actually let you upgrade the $499 mini to Fusion drive, so that would be a decent computer. Unknown pricing though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redstormpopcorn posted:

Sure, if you like guitar picks and foam tape.

I'm super-excited about the inevitable quad-1440p Cinema Display, because it'll lead to a whole new generation of kickass cheap Korean monitors.
Yeah, I don't care for a retina iMac personally, but this hopefully forces everyone else to finally make non-lovely resolutions on monitors a reality.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Apparently the iPad Mini 3 DOES NOT come with the A8 .. ugh!!

"Don’t let its size fool you. iPad mini 3 is powered by an A7 chip with 64-bit desktop-class architecture. A7 delivers amazing processing power without sacrificing battery life. So you get incredible performance in a device you can take with you wherever you go."

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Also worth noting that although the most expensive Mac Mini defaults with the 1tb fusion drive you can substitute the 256gb SSD for the same price.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

fordan posted:

HBO Go is already in the existing Apple TV?

Yeah, but HBO and CBS both announced al a carte streaming subscriptions in the last 24 hours. Currently you have to be a HBO subscriber for HBO go.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Binary Badger posted:

It probably does since it has the same RAM hatch in the back. Ever upgrade the RAM on a post-2012 iMac? You have to hit a button hidden in the AC plug-in socket, it pushes the hatch out, then the RAM comes out on this cantilevered bomb bay rack kinda thing, neat. No more forcing chips into a narrow slot.

Okay, I've only ever worked on a 21-inch; this is cool as gently caress. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2639+RAM+Replacement/20249

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

tarzanspuma posted:

That mid-level option is actually $699.

i stand corrected

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I can tell, the only difference between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Mini 3 is Touch ID. Otherwise the specs are identical, down to the dimensions. Unless I'm missing something, this is another cash grab -- $100 for Touch ID.

E: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

Okay, I've only ever worked on a 21-inch; this is cool as gently caress. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2639+RAM+Replacement/20249

it's been cool as gently caress for two years but people always seem to order with 32 GB preinstalled since Apple's RAM taxes went down so I didn't see this until recently either

edit: they kinda do the same thing on the trash can pro except with two banks on either side of the back panel

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if Apple will finally lower their Fusion Drive / SSD upgrade prices. They are getting a bit out of touch with the market. The new Apple Tax!

Edit: Store is up. Nope. Mac mini still costs $200 to upgrade from a 1 TB HDD to a 256 GB SSD.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 16, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

WD has a kind of Fusion drive thingy out for windows hope that will drive prices down

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Apple's mobile-CPU situation is fuckin' stupid right now. The 6+ should run A8X, and everything else released since August should run A8, minimum.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I can't belive Apple is still selling iOS devices with A5 and 512MB RAM. iOS 8 pretty much runs like rear end on them, and I doubt 8.1 will do much to change that.

Definitely upgrading my iPad 4 to the Air 2. The 4 runs okay but the Air 2 looks pretty future proof with 2GB RAM.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Apple's store page has been updated with the iMac Retina but it's still only showing the old 21.5" iMacs. :ohdear:

Did they specifically mention iMac upgrades outside the iMac Retina?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

They might have a lot of A7s and A5s built up in inventory so they're shoving that poo poo in and saving the A8X's for the flagship only, sounds like typical Apple to me

They didn't get skillions of billions of dollars burying A5s and A7s in the desert.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Exodor posted:

Apple's store page has been updated with the iMac Retina but it's still only showing the old 21.5" iMacs. :ohdear:

Did they specifically mention iMac upgrades outside the iMac Retina?

Nope, iMac with Retina is just a new model, they're not going to discontinue the others so long as they have tons of inventory on them

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Binary Badger posted:

They might have a lot of A7s and A5s built up in inventory so they're shoving that poo poo in and saving the A8X's for the flagship only, sounds like typical Apple to me

They didn't get skillions of billions of dollars burying A5s and A7s in the desert.
Maybe they should have made iOS 8 scale down better then.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hypersleep posted:

I can't belive Apple is still selling iOS devices with A5 and 512MB RAM. iOS 8 pretty much runs like rear end on them, and I doubt 8.1 will do much to change that.

Definitely upgrading my iPad 4 to the Air 2. The 4 runs okay but the Air 2 looks pretty future proof with 2GB RAM.

Where do you see the Air 2 having 2 GB of RAM? Apple never publishes the RAM size in their specs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

From what I can tell, the only difference between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Mini 3 is Touch ID. Otherwise the specs are identical, down to the dimensions. Unless I'm missing something, this is another cash grab -- $100 for Touch ID.

Just pretend they didn't announce the iPad Mini 3 and just dropped the price by $100.

It is kind of disappointing they didn't upgrade the screen since that is the weak point of the mini.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

More egregious is the storage. The iPad mini 3, despite sharing the same specs as its predecessor, doesn't offer a 32GB model while its predecessor does. That's horseshit.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Just turned in my equipment request for a 5k Mac. Just waiting on the denial now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

hypersleep posted:

If Apple hadn't gotten rid of it, the iPad 2 would probably continue to be their best seller. People are cheap. Can't fault Apple for taking advantage of that imo.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

smackfu posted:

Just pretend they didn't announce the iPad Mini 3 and just dropped the price by $100.

It is kind of disappointing they didn't upgrade the screen since that is the weak point of the mini.

The screen is gorgeous as it is?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Perhaps he is referring to the original Mini?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Where do you see the Air 2 having 2 GB of RAM? Apple never publishes the RAM size in their specs.

Unless this turns out to be inaccurate, it likely has 2 GB RAM:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/13/ipad-air-2-a8x-2-gb-ram/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Huge missed opportunity to have nVidia GPUs in the Retina Display, there's people running After Effects who would have killed to be rendering with CUDA on a 980 based iMac.

they can't totally freeze out nVidia but who knows.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hypersleep posted:

Unless this turns out to be inaccurate, it likely has 2 GB RAM:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/13/ipad-air-2-a8x-2-gb-ram/

well all we have to do is wait for iFixit to tear one apart and verify i guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

It's not really as good as even the old iPad Air. Check out the Anandtech review:

quote:

The iPad mini with Retina Display has the same color gamut as the standard iPad mini, which is narrower than the iPad Air and less than the sRGB coverage we normally look for. The biggest issue here is that there are other smaller tablets in this price range that do offer sRGB coverage (e.g. Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/3

Maybe you can only tell the difference side-by-side, but it's still something that could have been improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
256SSD is same price as the 1TB fusion drive. holy poo poo.
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina?product=MF886LL/A&step=config#

• Locked thread