Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is looking really familiar. Great work, and congrats on becoming an amageur bricklayer :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
haha thanks guys

been lazy and burned out on shoving mortar into joints, so I decided to dig instead

Ground is super saturated and often muddy here. Before I got the gutters installed there would often be standing water along this side of the house after a good rain. There's no good place to run this off to, so I decided a dry well and curtain drain would be a good fix. Outline of where I want the drain to run and where the dry well will be. Had to order it from El Depot de Casa.

unfortunately TRAGEDY STRUCK

The first known casualty of the project :( I accidentally cut his/her/zer head off partially, it was writhing around and I gave it a clean decapitation. I'M SO SORRY LITTLE SNAKE :cry:

Anyway I got my fiancee to mow the lawn and then hop in the hole and dig for me while I ran some errands. She's awesome.

5' of lady in a 4' hole

In memory of the life that was lost today, may we take a moment of silence and let devin townsend's ballad about the struggle of being a snake let his memory live on forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0apsOhWV2M

Laminator fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 17, 2015

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Glad I don't have to rebuild this wall

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/us/oklahoma-acknowledges-wastewater-from-oil-and-gas-wells-as-major-cause-of-quakes.html?smid=re-share

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So, there are earth quake machines!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

well go ahead and just add me to the crappy construction tales right now

that's like 4 cubic yards of water just chilling in my "drainage system," not sure if I should go ahead with setting gravel, drain, and drywell or just backfill it with dirt and forget about it. If this is what is gonna happen when it rains...

anyway the backyard turned into a mud pit again from the rain, so I decided I'd put off inside stuff long enough

Sistered the cracked rafter (bottle jack under a 2x10 ceiling rafter/rafter tie, jack the rafter back up and fill with PL Premium, lay bead of adhesive along rafter, hammer 2x6 into place, drive lots of GRK rated structural screws through)

Also added a new sister to these butt joints that were sistered with a 1x4...

(RSS stuck, impact driver wouldn't fit in and the screw head stripped)

trying to decide what to do with that horrendously bowed 2x4 back on page 1. the drat thing is hardly nailed to the hip rafter and attached at an odd angle to a load-bearing wall, and there doesn't appear to be any other signs of excessive load there. I may try to build a purlin for that area, but we'll see...

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bet right now you think the worst invention ever is the shovel.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I'm not terribly fond of them, no.

My rhomboids are killing me :(

No pics unfortunately, but got 37' of PVC drainage pipe wrapped in sock, covered in landscape fabric on a > 1/8 slant toward the well put in. Hand lots of help from the fiancee, couldn't have done it without her.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 25, 2015

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Laminator posted:

well go ahead and just add me to the crappy construction tales right now

that's like 4 cubic yards of water just chilling in my "drainage system," not sure if I should go ahead with setting gravel, drain, and drywell or just backfill it with dirt and forget about it. If this is what is gonna happen when it rains...

Seems like it's doing what it's supposed to do. I guess ideally, you would have an overflow drain into a storm system or something like that, but that usually means permits and money and gently caress that.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I suppose you could call that a win... the water's not spread all over your lawn any more!

It's spring; mud happens. If that drain keeps the worst of it away from the foundation I think you're doing well.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

true, true. That's just the nature of the clay here, too, it's like a dense sponge and takes a long time to dry out. And yeah, at least there's now several tons of gravel and 4" drainage pipe taking it away from the house.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

hey remember this???????? Took the makeshift plywood cover out and the veneer came apart

Test fitting the bricks with a 3/8" thick piece of steel as the lintel

vent not in place, just temporary. Need to go to building supply store and see what they have since that one's not my favorite but was the best they had at the big box stores

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
This thread is terrifying and also induces all sorts of schadenfreudian feelings. Keep going!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Sorry, I've been really bad about taking pictures!

Here are some pictures of my car doing things it probably shouldn't

Carrying 600 lbs of concrete and 4x4x8 Doug Fir posts

Passenger 6x6x8!

Anyway, the trench drain and drywell got installed. Rest of the deck was removed, including pulling 2 footings out of the ground with an improvised lifting system involving some 2x10, saw horses, a ratcheting cable puller, and braided steel cable. Moved lots of dirt and worked on the grading. Dug two footings and poured concrete for new deck posts, got the posts mounted and level. Laid landscape fabric and covered with gravel under the area of the deck. Sistered a few more rafters, added more collar ties, and installed a vertical post under a ridge board (need to installed one or two more).

Tomorrow is big trash day, you set out up to 3 cubic yards of poo poo and a dump truck with a little crane drives around and picks it up for you. Pretty nice service. Spent a few hours (in the rain :() hammering, sawing, and moving all this garbage

into a lovely little pile in the front yard

I'll grab more pics once it stops raining, which may be in a few days.

BONUS PICTURE
The fiancee helped with mixing and pouring the concrete, and when I went to do something else she asked if she could use the extra concrete. I go off and work on whatever, and about 30 minutes later she has poured these little planters in some spare kitchen storage containers and cups. And she made a concrete doodoo

oh, I've been resizing pictures too 1600x900 too for bandwidth purposes. sorry for the [56k BEWARE IMG HEAVY]

Laminator fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 6, 2015

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Oh yeah, I just remembered something. My neighbor 2 doors down moved out recently. Or at least I thought he moved out. One morning there were a bunch of people taking all the appliances, furniture, etc. from the house and loading it into trucks and then a for sale sign went up a few days later.

Turns out the previous homeowner got in some sort of tiff with some meth heads, so they decided the best course of action was to bring their meth'd out buddies and steal everything from the house and then beat the poo poo out of the homeowner. The HO got scared and decided to sell the house off.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That's kind of terrifying. Don't get into any tiffs with meth heads, ok?

Also, nice progress being made! Thanks for the pictures.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

whoooo boy, sorry for no updates. been feeling the pressure of having to finish the house, get ready to move, find a renter... And the fact that this has been one of the wettest months EVER in Oklahoma hasn't been helping. We've gotten almost 10" of rain this month - the clay is so freaking saturated and it's raining so often that outdoor progress has been slowed. I tried to get some Bermuda sod and couldn't because it's so wet that the sod can't be cut out of the ground. :sigh: Ready to be done with this house... I'll get some pics up soon

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

partial update time. Went to remove the soldiers from the other door since I'm getting ready to build some stairs from that door out to the yard. Bricks are coming apart as expected (i.e., put together like poo poo) and then...

kastein posted:

This is looking really familiar. Great work, and congrats on becoming an amageur bricklayer :respek:

uh oh...

kastein posted:

This is looking really familiar.

NOOOOOOOO

Rotten sill under the french door, probably because that poo poo's been exposed to the weather for god knows how long. Thankfully after some investigation the rot only extended down three joists, or about 44", and I just so happened to have a piece of PT 2x6 that was like 46" long. Jacked up the two joists with a 20-ton bottle jack (I like overkill) and my Subaru's screw jack (hum, ok), cut out the old sill, put the new one in place, and then painstakingly managed to get the two 2x8 Doug Fir sisters in place along the joists. Then of course my impact driver's batteries died, but it was like 10:30 PM by that point anyway and my fiancee was tired of me muttering to myself in the crawlspace.

I also got some PL Premium in my hair. Good thing I haven't cut my hair in like 2 months and am getting a haircut before my med school graduation next Friday.

Oh, and about the rain...

Mud. I hate it, I hate it more than anything else I've done. I don't mind crawling around in a crawlspace, I can deal with sweating my rear end off in an attic, but my god, the mud. And it's going to rain all weekend, so it's here at least for the next few days. I think at this point I'm just going to lay down some more landscape fabric and get some nice looking gravel to cover that area of soil in the backyard. Low-maintenance and it can be reversed pretty easily.

oh, and I've been watching the fiancee's sister's husband's doge, Xela. She's a pain in the butt, mostly because it's so muddy that it's hard to play and get her energy out.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Clearly some kind of mysterious power doesn't want me to finish anything outside. We just broke the precipitation record in OK, with more than 14" of rain this month, and it's predicted to be more than 16" by the end of the month.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I know how you feel. Every day I have off is a day it rains. I can't get the gardening done no matter how hard I try, and that window that needs replacing? Ha ha ha.

God, I hate weather. I can't wait until we all live in domes.*

*I don't actually mean this but nature does seem to find all kinds of ways to gently caress up a workday.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hahaha, welcome to hell...

... I use the bottle jack from my old Cherokee to push new sills into place so they seal the foam against the next one over nicely, and a 12 ton to do all the lifting.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Weather map looks like you're getting crushed right now. Stay safe, Laminator dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Thanks dudes, we're all safe here. My house it near the apex of a hill, so the area directly around the house doesn't flood much, but about 500 ft away it can get up to like 3 ft of water when it flash floods. We're not anywhere near as bad as Houston.

So, I'm basically just waiting on a few more things to be done. I need to repair some concrete on the porch. I've got the porch railing at a local welder getting some flanges welded on so I can bolt it to the concrete. Ordered 2 tons of 3/8" river rock for ground cover behind the house, which will be "delivered at some point this afternoon" (thanks for the helpful time frame, brick and stone supply :waycool:). I still need to get a staircase off the other set of doors, I'm between building some and just buying some precast concrete steps. I'll do an effort post after this weekend to showoff all my shoddy workmanship!

• Locked thread