Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unless there are permitting/setback issues that garage is a tear-down. Maybe you'll be able to save some materials, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laminator posted:

You think so? There are a lot of garage restorations online that were in way worse condition than mine... What in particular makes you think demo?

Regardless, if it needs so go, then so be it.

Yes, I think so. Just because other people make bad decisions about restoring simple structures that are best demoed and rebuilt doesn't make it a good idea.

It's a small garage. It can be framed in a couple of days and finished the following weekend and be 100% correct. As opposed to dicking around with trying to find and fix everything wrong with that......even if you rack it back, it's still not gonna be right by a long shot. It's a whole lot easier to make it right without siding and a roof on it. If you're going that far it makes no sense not to start over. Especially when the thing is missing simple poo poo like sill plates.

People try to "save" things like this because they are afraid of building something from scratch. Don't be. It's not hard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy crap. Are those really pulled that far away or were the angles never cut properly to begin with?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Also.....are you sure that last pic is of "poor quality lumber" or has it been bent from shifting in a direction it wasn't meant to control. It looks like it's bent from compression when it maybe possible was put there to control shear.

It's hard to tell exactly where/what is it without seeing more and how it's attached (and to what) below the insulation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm not about to contradict a structural engineer who 1.) should be more qualified than I am and 2.) saw it in person but I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where anyone would actually use a piece of lumber that bent in a structural element......even if the didn't really know what the hell it was for (because they simply wouldn't have done or it wouldn't have passed inspection if they did it solely for that purpose).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laminator posted:

This may be the issue. Any suggestions for how to fix it? The roof over that area doesn't carry a ton of load, so I'm not really sure where the compressive force is coming from. Maybe I'll have the engineer come back and take another look.

If it carried enough load to bend the poo poo out of it and I sure as hell wouldn't be able to tell you what to hydraulic jack back into position without seeing it in person.

This is why you have a structural engineer on site. I'm not going to internet diagnose this job for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

gently caress me. My wife and I are looking at houses (in the Chicago area, so kind of expensive) and reading all these home repair/renovation threads has encouraged me to look into an alternative living situation, like a tent, or a cardboard box. I feel like I'd be fine doing some of the more minor repairs, but if I found a bent board like that in the attic, and a leaning garage, and some of the other poo poo you're finding in your crawlspace, I would run far far away. Good luck!

This is why a home inspection by a competent person is critically important when purchasing a home.

It won't (can't) find everything, but it would have immediately identified huge obvious red flags in this place. And that doesn't mean it's not worth buying. It's just not worth buying at the price of a comparable home that's not a poo poo show.

• Locked thread