Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

And that was only the second biggest upper deck HR Brett hit off Gossage.

Also, I had forgotten what a hayseed Bobby Murcer was. I could hear the theme from Hee-Haw every time he spoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's been crazy that the playoffs have been this entertaining despite no series going more than five games and St. Louis Cardinals being prominently involved.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Wouldn't pine tar that far up the bat decrease the chance of a home run?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Any fan of any team other than the Giants who isn't rooting for the Royals this series is a terrible person, and I say that as a Giants fan.

I guess? The Royals have one injury (technically two, but the other one will be back in time for the next game.) The Giants have two of their most important players out for the season, and a morsel of Michael Morse. I certainly don't expect it to be easy.

I'd be cool with either result in seven games, though I can understand some Royals fans who won't accept any losing so that they can have the weirdest playoff record that's been recorded for a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Who knows, but it was a dumb rule intended to save money on baseballs that had to be put out of play because they had pine tar on them. This was back when they hoarded foul balls hit down the line and wouldn't let ball boys toss them to fans.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm rooting for the Royals, because they haven't been relevant in my entire life and their postseason run has been ridiculous.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'm real sick of smug Giants fans that I have to work with.

Go Royals. For gently caress's sake.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

hatred of the giants aside I hope the royals lose 2 or 3 because a short world series is boring, and also so they can win it at home in front of a sea of blue :3:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Each team wins all of their home games. The Royals' streak hits 10 games, we get a nice long series and they win the series at home.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bawfuls posted:

Why won't people root for my favorite team to win their 3rd championship in 5 years I don't get it!??

I know it hurts, Lord do I know it hurts, but we super don't get to say this, dude.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Seattle Pilots directly led to Bud Selig's rise to power, gently caress them.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
They also led to Ball Four, so it's not all bad.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Wilkes Booth posted:

They also led to Ball Four, so it's not all bad.

I need to read that book.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

I need to read that book.

yeah, you do.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I love the poo poo out of the Giants; I've never had a reason to dislike the Royals, and I've found many reasons to like them a lot since the postseason started. One of my best friends hails from Kansas City (he's ecstatic), and I will happily root for the Royals with him all the way. Having said that I want each team to win each of their home games by a nose.

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid
Can someone buy billboards in San Francisco and Kansas City demanding both teams wear high socks

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Eat_at_Milliways posted:

Can someone buy billboards in San Francisco and Kansas City demanding both teams wear high socks

This should just be an MLB dress code rule. Stirrups can be optional, however.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk

If you haven't heard about George Brett making GBS threads his pants, you should.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

L-Boned posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk

If you haven't heard about George Brett making GBS threads his pants, you should.

That video will never get old, and it basically has a perfect ending.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Last year I wondered why everyone hated the Seahawks so much (hint: it's the 12th man) then I said gently caress it, and reveled in the hate. If your team is hated it probably means they are successful, or they get players with questionable backgrounds like the Rays.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I root for the Cardinals of the NFL and the Browns of the MLB so I get the best of both worlds!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The rule was made because a baseball exec thought the players were wasting money by using so much pine tar, or so the goes.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
According to the Wikipedia article it was to keep the balls from getting dirtied, which is why that particular decision was eventually overturned.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

This should just be an MLB dress code rule. Stirrups can be optional, however.

I don't think they're even really stirrups anymore. At least, not always. The socks have that design printed on them, so it looks like stirrups, but it isn't.

tadashi posted:

The rule was made because a baseball exec thought the players were wasting money by using so much pine tar, or so the goes.

It was about money, but not about the price of pine tar. The rule was made because at the time, this would quickly discolor and tar-up the ball. These were the days when a ball would be used until it started to fall apart or was lost; the owners didn't want to spend money on too many balls. I believe this is why, in the end, they just got rid of the rule: at the time of the Pine Tar Incident, MLB was well into the era of changing balls frequently, so the impetus for the rule just didn't exist anymore.

Edit: GrumpyDoctor beat me to it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I know it hurts, Lord do I know it hurts, but we super don't get to say this, dude.
ummm what?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I seem to remember reading that Billy Martin knew Brett had been doing that to his bats in the months prior, but never brought it up until that time because he never really needed to.

Also, pretty sure I've never seen someone so angry on a baseball diamond.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Also, pretty sure I've never seen someone so angry on a baseball diamond.

Lou Piniella literally exists.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

nerve posted:

I root for the Cardinals of the NFL and the Browns of the MLB so I get the best of both worlds!

The Browns won a title

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Feranon posted:

hatred of the giants aside I hope the royals lose 2 or 3 because a short world series is boring, and also so they can win it at home in front of a sea of blue :3:

The streak must not be broken until they win the whole thing.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Browns won a title

When everybody was fighting Hitler and also they just got swept in the ALCS so

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Browns won a title

:negative:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Browns won a title

Yes, they did.

The best illustration of the war-thinned talent pool is probably a picture of Pete Gray, the one-armed outfielder.

Edit: nevermind. I looked it up, and Pete didn't play until 1945.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 18, 2014

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

bawfuls posted:

ummm what?

I think he's an LA Kings fan, and assumed you were one too.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stupid sexy Flanders.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The guy that caught Ishikawa's homer gave it back to Travis, no strings attached. The Giants gave him an Ishikawa autographed bat and 4 World Series tickets for giving it back. :)

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The guy that caught Ishikawa's homer gave it back to Travis, no strings attached. The Giants gave him an Ishikawa autographed bat and 4 World Series tickets for giving it back. :)

fortunately for him the fair market value of a signed ishikawa bat is probably $5 so he only has to pay like a $1 of tax on it

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Mods please change my username to "Ishikawa Autographed Bat" tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I love how the Giants as Flanders looks just about perfect but the A's don't even make for a good Homer.

• Locked thread