Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Finally saw this, my feelings are a bit mixed.

I was really enjoying the first three quarters or so, but like a lot of people here I wasn't sure what to feel about the ending. Ed Norton really does disappear from the movie (and I found him to be the most interesting character), Emma Stone's character gets gradually less and less interesting as the movie goes on as well.

Loved the fact that it looked like one take. The movie is super indulgent but it's always really playful and fun to watch. The way the camera is always following people around combined with the awesome score made everything very frantic and energetic, it's a really snappy movie. I loved how the play seems kinda hokey and overdone, it's just so ridiculously dramatic. I loved the gratuitous action scene. It felt like it was right out of Transformers. Pretty much perfectly done.

Whoever said it feels like a play was spot on. I'm not sure why the one take makes it feel like that but it certainly does.

On the other hand a lot of the dialogue is really on the nose, especially the critic scene. Characters just straight up announce their motivations to the screen. Maybe that's sort of the point though. In most scenes where people are doing this, the person they are speaking to is completely out of frame. It's like they're speaking to the audience directly- I think that contributes a lot to the play-like feel of the movie as well.

I read the telekinises as the power of celebrity. He's tempted by it when The Birdman is speaking to him- you belong here, above all these people. And remember that his daughter shows him the youtube video where he's in his underwear, and she says "this is real power." So at the end he's become a celebrity again. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a positive thing or not. Does he really have more integrity at the end than he did at the start? He gains fame from his crazy behaviour and the "gimmick" of shooting himself on stage. But I suppose the important thing is that he's accepted it, it's no longer torturing him? That would tie into the movie's idea of there being no difference between high and low art. Still not sure about those last 30 seconds though.

One thing that was really subtle and I might be imagining- anytime Riggan is having a horrible time backstage his performance seems better and more sincere. When his producer tells him there are people lining up outside and Riggan is super happy about it, his performance gets worse again.

I thought the movie was going to be all these actors destroying themselves and going through horrible drama backstage- resulting in an amazing play despite all expectations. So I was a bit disappointed that everyone else sort of dropped out of the movie by the end.

A final thought- I've been watching a lot of Paul Thomas Andersen movies lately and this really felt like if you took one of the extended take party scenes from Boogie Nights and stretched it into a whole movie. The subject matter would be something PTA would be all over as well, although his version would probably be a lot more ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread