Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Just got back from this. GF was bored, I found myself a bit bored as well. I love Keaton, the acting was great, but the movie just wasn't very entertaining. It felt like some kind of dogwhistle for theater geeks.

Don't regret watching it, but I wouldn't see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Honestly, it felt like a hamfisted "did he or didn't he?!?1" ending shoved into a movie that was a little too full of itself.

It wasn't written or conceived as "and then he flew because he really did have telekinetic powers" or "he died and his daughter saw a rainbow" - it was written/conceived as "and then I'll put this metaphor in which will make people guess because I'm a hipster and it's edgy *nudges glasses*"

I hope it gets enough love that we get more Keaton in things though.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 17, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Advice posted:

:words:

I really really wanted to like this movie. Now please tell me about how I'm too stupid to have understood it because that it honestly a favorable reality to this one where critics whose opinion I respect are jerking this movie off with both hands and I'm left wondering if I accidentally took crazy pills this morning.

I think you put into words my feelings better than I could have, except I didn't really hate the movie I just didn't find it to be very good.

Kind of like how Prometheus had great cinematography but was a total piece of poo poo, this movie had a lot of great performances but was overall not very enjoyable.

I'm also a little surprised that critics loved it so much when the movie calls out critics pretty boldly. Maybe they just justify it by thinking ":smug: heh, those stupid theater critics, not like ME the MOVIE critic :smug:"

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Surlaw posted:

Criticism is fine and good but this is really stupid, sorry.

No it's a pretty apt description of the people gushing over this movie :smug:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

I like good movies. Sometimes artsy movies are great, and sometimes they're pretentious. This movie wasn't really pretentious, but it was definitely for theater geeks and film school dorks.

It was objectively 'good' - I just didn't enjoy it very much as an experience.

• Locked thread