Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I absolutely adored this film, and I got a somewhat different message from it than it seems most people did. The first thing I thought of when I walked out was this Calvin and Hobbes strip:

The point isn't that Reagan deserves to be taken seriously as an artist and not just as a blockbuster superhero actor, but that the concept of high art vs. low art (dramatic theater vs. titillating film) is complete loving bullshit.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I got out of the film. It's pretty much explicitly stated toward the ending, when Spider-man and Optimus Prime take the stage with the drum line. Heh, there's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

And while the critic seems like a gigantically obnoxious strawman, I'd argue that the superhero movie fantasy sequence is just as overblown--the difference is I, and I think most people, know that the movie in question actually exists (at least, I think it does, I haven't seen any of the Transformers films beyond the trailers, but I have no doubt that it's exactly what they are like). And from reading some theater reviews, I have no issue believing that somewhere out there a critic like her exists too.

Also if anyone wants to read something so overwrought and off the mark that your eyes will roll straight back into your head, here's The Dissolve's review of the film: http://thedissolve.com/reviews/1152-birdman/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread