Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SHIROBAKO is an original anime by P.A. Works about an anime production teetering on the brink of collapse (so, a regular anime production). It opens with sweet scenes from a high school animation club, who's idealism is put to the test by the demands of the entertainment industry. This clip shows what I mean.

The show is fast paced and packed with smart gags and a likable if goofy cast. It reminds me of something Aaron Sorkin (the dude who made the The West Wing) would make, in that it gets the technical details of the job right but is kind of rose colored about everything else, but instead of politicians with ideals it's cute girls getting jobs in animation production two years out of high school.

That conflict might have been a lability, but the show pushes it so far that it comes out gleefully mad, and even two episodes in seems to illustrate a point. These people are working their hearts out sweating the details on what appears to be a really lovely anime, and despite how pathetic that can be there's something about it which is kind of wonderful.

You can watch it on Crunchyroll!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I thought that was a joke LN title?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I Think My Harem Is Slowly Faling Apart But I Might Just Be Imagining It is a joke from the show.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
You might try a title that doesn't completely turn off newcomers. Or one that is even slightly descriptive of this actually good show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The one thing that kind of nags at me about this show is that the men get a variety of character designs while the women don't.

It's still really different and good though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

I Think My Harem Is Slowly Faling Apart But I Might Just Be Imagining It is a joke from the show.

welp

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the passionate several minute argument about the characterization of one of the girls, and whether she was the right kind of cute, in their seemingly terrible anime was pretty great

this is a good anime

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

.Clash posted:

You might try a title that doesn't completely turn off newcomers. Or one that is even slightly descriptive of this actually good show.

It's more descriptive than you might think but you have a point, I'll PM Zorak.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I would watch I Think My Harem Is Slowly Falling Apart, But I Might Be Imagining It

i mean, every show has a harem, that's nothing new

but a harem falling apart? Sign me up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's more descriptive than you might think but you have a point, I'll PM Zorak.

SHIROBAKO - This is why anime is poo poo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thread title owns, gently caress the haters who don't understand jokes/references.

This anim also owns.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Namtab posted:

Thread title owns, gently caress the haters who don't understand jokes/references.

This anim also owns.

You're the only person on this board who ever calls anime "anim". Why do you do that? It's weird!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

One anim, many anime

E: veni, vici, anime

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 17, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Namtab posted:

One anim, many anime

Anim et circenses.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I thought I was watching Initial D by accident.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wait, this was the PA Works show for the season? How did I not know that?

I'm so glad PA Works is making something good after the nonsense that was Glasslip. They're doing a fantastic job on this show, and it looks like the staff knows what they're doing too.

This might be my favorite for the season if it keeps this up, despite stiff competition.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cake Attack posted:

the passionate several minute argument about the characterization of one of the girls, and whether she was the right kind of cute, in their seemingly terrible anime was pretty great

this is a good anime

The director just got more and more cringeworthy.

So far I'm having a bit of trouble telling all the characters apart but I'm often like that when it's just episode two, and this show has some potential.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

StandardVC10 posted:

So far I'm having a bit of trouble telling all the characters apart but I'm often like that when it's just episode two, and this show has some potential.

All you need to remember is drift girl and red head voice actor girl!

But yeah, it's a good thing they're still posting up the names and their job titles everytime it cuts to someone unfamilliar

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Heh, more references to Itou Shizuka being a drunk.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Cake Attack posted:

this is a good anime

I also liked how there then was a random discussion about another character growing up to be a drunk. But the other girl doesn't drink, no no, but she will hang out.

Let's go nuts for donuts.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

When they say they are "filming" an episode, that just means the part where they animate it, right?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Demicol posted:

When they say they are "filming" an episode, that just means the part where they animate it, right?

No, filming is taking the individual drawn character animation cels, laying onto the background art, and photographing those onto a negative film. That film would then be developed and sent to final editing, and finally either positive prints made (for projection in a theatre) or telecined (for broadcast or home video).
Or at least that's how things went before production went digital.

In modern production with a semi-digital workflow, as it looks like they're using here, I assume they mean scanning in the line art produced by animators, for digital coloring and effects, and finally producing+editing movie files from it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't know if my favorite thing so far is the car race from episode 1 (which I was happy to see made it into the opening).

or this:

edit: holy moley that was big

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 18, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Part of it is because there's such a large cast and since they're all in plainclothes and normal, some of the more distinctive features aren't there to help remember characters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

neat!

edit found more:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 18, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
That's most likely the wrong Tanaka Rie. The one in the photo is the voice actress, as far as I can tell. There's an entirely different person working as a sound producer who happens to have the same name.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I shouldn't be so surprised that the men have reasonable anime facsimiles and the women don't. At all. But god drat is that a stark contrast.

It's probably mostly the fact that one group is allowed to have noses and the other is not.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AnacondaHL posted:

This is the actual show the animators in Shirobako are making. I don't think I can accept any other explanation.

Having watched one episode of that lovely twintail thing, I Disagree. Twintails is too self-aware and is constantly winking at the audience. No, Yu3 is that show, wher Seiji Kishi really wants to tell a deep emotional story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Having watched one episode of that lovely twintail thing, I Disagree. Twintails is too self-aware and is constantly winking at the audience. No, Yu3 is that show, wher Seiji Kishi really wants to tell a deep emotional story.

How did you manage to switch threads?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This series is hilarious just in that pretty much every single little thing is based on some sort of actual events with names slightly changed. It's pretty much just a long string of inside jokes. I'd love to see some sort of commentated/annotated version.

I saw someone in the industry said that while the Initial D drifting race sequence might not have been quite true to reality, they said that the animation runners' cars were full of dents and accident damage, and everyone felt nervous riding as a passenger with them.

Anyway, personally speaking this seems like the most interesting PA works show in a while. Most of theirs have had trouble getting me hooked.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anything P.A. Works been amazing before now? I really liked The Eccentric Family but that was mostly because the source material was good, and while they didn't gently caress it up they didn't do anything really exceptional with it. They seem like a low rent KyoAni with a little more eclectic output.

To be honest though, that this show is coming from this studio makes the whole thing more likable and more convincing. Maybe this is the moment they come into their own?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Has anything P.A. Works been amazing before now? I really liked The Eccentric Family but that was mostly because the source material was good, and while they didn't gently caress it up they didn't do anything really exceptional with it. They seem like a low rent KyoAni with a little more eclectic output.

To be honest though, that this show is coming from this studio makes the whole thing more likable and more convincing. Maybe this is the moment they come into their own?

I guess it depends on your taste? I personally thought true tears, Hanasaku Iroha and Uchouten Kazoku were all excellent.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

darkgray posted:

I guess it depends on your taste? I personally thought true tears, Hanasaku Iroha and Uchouten Kazoku were all excellent.

This basically. I didn't much care for True Tears, but that was largely because I didn't like the girl he ended up with in the end. The other two of these were great. Was that Hanasaku Iroha movie any good, anyone know?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Blhue posted:

Was that Hanasaku Iroha movie any good, anyone know?

It was like an extended episode, fitting in somewhere toward the end. I enjoyed it.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Yeah, I also think that True Tears, Hanasaku Iroha and Uchouten Kazoku are all fantastic.

Blhue posted:

Was that Hanasaku Iroha movie any good, anyone know?
I thought it was pretty good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nagi no Asukara had a pretty good first half and ending.

I think some studios have a distinct hallmark. PA Works have excellent backgrounds and you can almost feel the texture on the screen. Shaft have wacky metaphorical backgrounds. Deen usually looks like poo poo but they've been making up for it by ripping off Shaft. Dogakobo has extremely detailed hair physics. Kyoani has consistently good animation. Ufotable has a certain style to their faces and colour gradients.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'll defend Angel Beats by saying that if P.A works didn't have half the show pulled out from under them it probably would have been amazing instead of pretty good. I still like it regardless.

P.A works generally had been pretty good. I'd say that recently their output has been a little bad because I think they tried going to the same story idea well too many times (kids/teenagers get displaced out of their element! Wacky comedy and romance ensues) with Hanasaku Iroha, then Nagi which was good but didn't have the same spark, and then Glasslip I didn't even bother watching because it felt like I had already seen the show before it aired just by its plot summary.

So I'm glad they're doing this show because it feels fresh and fun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I'll defend Angel Beats by saying that if P.A works didn't have half the show pulled out from under them it probably would have been amazing instead of pretty good. I still like it regardless.

P.A works generally had been pretty good. I'd say that recently their output has been a little bad because I think they tried going to the same story idea well too many times (kids/teenagers get displaced out of their element! Wacky comedy and romance ensues) with Hanasaku Iroha, then Nagi which was good but didn't have the same spark, and then Glasslip I didn't even bother watching because it felt like I had already seen the show before it aired just by its plot summary.

So I'm glad they're doing this show because it feels fresh and fun.

I'm with you there. Angel Beats is one of my personal favorites and I'm disappointed that it got gimped the way it did. Also it is one of only 2 non lovely shows Seiji Kishi has directed.

Cannon was another decent show they did.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ViggyNash posted:

I'm with you there. Angel Beats is one of my personal favorites and I'm disappointed that it got gimped the way it did. Also it is one of only 2 non lovely shows Seiji Kishi has directed.

The other being Sunred, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...What does Shirobako mean, anyway? I assume it's not "White Baka?"

• Locked thread