Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Respectable professionals who's work includes Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan and Magical Witch Punie-chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Devil Tesla posted:

Respectable professionals who's work includes Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan and Magical Witch Punie-chan.

For a given value of respectable, I suppose.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Then he grew up and told the animation staff for GuP they weren't allowed to put in any pantyshots. It apparently caused some whining.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Tarou is funny and charming and he's voiced by Yoshino so that instantly makes him one of the best characters in the show

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Ccs posted:

Apparently the reason Tarou is so insufferable is because he's based on Tsutomu Mizushima, who is directing Shirobako. The director is using Tarou as a way of beating up on his younger self's idiocy and unprofessionalism.

Goes to show even people like Tarou can rise to become respectable professionals.

I dunno man, It seems a pretty Tarou move to include someone like Tarou in the show. I think theres still a little Tarou somewhere in Tsutomu.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The new ED is cool.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

laplace posted:

Tarou is funny and charming and he's voiced by Yoshino so that instantly makes him one of the best characters in the show

Does Yoshino specialize in mostly useless comic relief? He also voiced Meow in Space Dandy (really good job too).

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

He plays Ozu in Tatami Galaxy, Kazuma in Kemonozume, and Firo in Baccano as well. I think he also plays Allelujah Haptism in Gundam 00. He normally plays skeevy rascals or unhinged people, sometimes both at the same time.

He's also known for a bunch of shonen roles and the main character in Sket Dance.

Edit: He's awesome.

laplace fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 11, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Which other voice actors do you have a crush on, laplace?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I really like Shimono Hiro and Aizawa Mai but they aren't in this show :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

If you like Shimono (and understand some Japanese) the radio shows from AoT/SnK are amazing. Listen to him get put on the spot and forced to make up and sing a birthday song for himself :allears:

Davincie posted:

yeah but not knowing basic poo poo like that? one of the two is at least a college grad and shown to read a lot of books, seems like basic knowledge

Also remember that most people in Japan don't have nearly the hardon for military stuff that Americans do, and when history classes sperg about wars it's much more likely to be something from a hundred plus years ago rather than, say, WW2. College in Japan also has less of a focus on general ed. requirements.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I saw the first minute of AKB0048 and now I have to ask, is Exodus supposed to be based on that?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Exodus is based on many different moe shows, but probably the closest to Lyrical Girl Nanoha. Don't watch Nanoha, it's terrible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Which other voice actors do you have a crush on, laplace?

You didn't ask me but I'm in love with Aya Hirano

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How can anyone dislike Tarou, he's an affable goofball who seems to actually do his job competently.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

How can anyone dislike Tarou, he's an affable goofball who seems to actually do his job competently.

When has he ever done his job competently?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

he's an affable goofball who seems to actually do his job competently.

Half of this sentence is true.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's true that we haven't seen Tarou gently caress up massively as he did in the early episodes, but on the other hand we haven't seen him be competent either. Since we haven't seen him be competent I'm assuming he's still postponing work until last minute and poo poo a conflict resolution.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

aers posted:

Then he grew up and told the animation staff for GuP they weren't allowed to put in any pantyshots. It apparently caused some whining.
I guess he isn't opposed to big group bath scene every few episodes, though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

seems to actually do his job competently.

Are you sure you've been watching the show?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

It's true that we haven't seen Tarou gently caress up massively as he did in the early episodes, but on the other hand we haven't seen him be competent either. Since we haven't seen him be competent I'm assuming he's still postponing work until last minute and poo poo a conflict resolution.

He's at the level of competency as the Director. The same position that he wants to aim for.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From what I've heard, as hateable as Tarou is, industry insiders watching the show admit that types like him both tend to go far and are vital because they don't turn into depressed lumps when they screw up (like Ema) or are overworked (like Miyamori).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Bakanogami posted:

From what I've heard, as hateable as Tarou is, industry insiders watching the show admit that types like him both tend to go far and are vital because they don't turn into depressed lumps when they screw up (like Ema) or are overworked (like Miyamori).

Where are they saying this? That's interesting and sad at the same time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bakanogami posted:

This is true in every industry.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

If you know Japanese or are willing to google translate a lot, a ton of anime staff regularly tweet about SHIROBAKO, which is probably where that sort of stuff comes from. Apparently they all watch it!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://altairandvega.net/2015/01/07/shirobako_glossary/

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This is the glossary from the SHIROBAKO website translated! Super cool!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Lots of really useful terms here. I'm really amazed at how specialized the roles in Japanese production can be. My experience with US production has delegated tasks, but you can often end up taking on a lot of different roles in different departments all at once. (In my case I was doing background, layout, and animation assistance.)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Neat. My favorite learning:

"Psycho-Pass 2 is a recent example of using a lot of sakkan. Episodes 9 and 11 had way too many of them, and it’s reflected in the quality of those episodes."

Never thought about that before, usually having more people working together to a point should be a good thing, but here the problem isn't "too many cooks in the kitchen" it's "number of animation directors is proportional to how hosed we are and falling behind schedule/sucking in general".

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah if you ever watch an anime episode and wonder why the quality is all over the place look for the 作画監督 credit, it'll usually be next to director/storyboard/writer or on the animator shot.

A lot of shows with hosed productions will have a ton of ADs and then additionally a ton of assistant ADs (credited underneath).

Another funny incident was an episode of Mahouka had a credit for "総総作画監督", like.. chief animation director with an extra chief. There were a ton of tweets form various people working in the anime industry about it since it was pretty bizarre.

aers fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 15, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Why did Mahouka look so poo poo and move so slowly? This is the same studio that's making Parasyte, which looks great on a tiny budget.

Mahouka's the ultimate pander work, it should have had a ton of budget and talent poured into it.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Why did Mahouka look so poo poo and move so slowly? This is the same studio that's making Parasyte, which looks great on a tiny budget.

Mahouka's the ultimate pander work, it should have had a ton of budget and talent poured into it.

Blew it all on the voice cast and various CGI sparkly effects.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Just because something is made by the same studio doesn't mean it has the same staff or the same priorities. I haven't watched Mahouka but it's obvious a lot of care and thought goes into Parasyte.

It also might just be a case of crap in crap out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Guyver posted:

Just because something is made by the same studio doesn't mean it has the same staff or the same priorities. I haven't watched Mahouka but it's obvious a lot of care and thought goes into Parasyte.

It also might just be a case of crap in crap out.

Mahouka got Tarou in charge of Desk.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Just finished the Mellow Maromi episode of Paranoia Agent and its bizarre that Hiroyuki Yoshino voiced Saruta, a production assistant miles more incompetent and unlikable than Tarou.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 15, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was a Good Episode, and the most hellish meeting.

Shame about Zuka not getting the role, though I still have a hunch she will get called in later for some reason. It sounded like the scheduling for the more veteran actors was heavily booked.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You said everything I was going to.

I probably would have killed someone in that meeting. Good thing it's all just caricature, right?

Right...?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ViggyNash posted:

You said everything I was going to.

I probably would have killed someone in that meeting. Good thing it's all just caricature, right?

Right...?

Hahahahahaa, you poor, optimistic fool.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
There is no way that it was not based on pretty much every meeting for every major anime ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
That meeting was both the best and the worst. I love anytime I get to hear Koyasu Takehito acting goofy. A good ep I think.

I think that Zukachan-senpai might get a part as one of the side characters. At least I am hoping so.

• Locked thread