Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zettace posted:

To make more connections with GuP. The main character in that series was also voiced by a newcomer voice actor.

For that matter, isn't Aoi's voice a newbie as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes.

Also WOO YANO, BEST FRIEND

Sorry, but this is actually what's going to happen

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

If this had been posted early in the series, I would have raged.

Now, I'd actually like to see that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Did you change his named to "Based Tarou" or do you have the best subs?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nope, sorry, not buying into this "Tarou is a cool dude" narrative that's popped up recently, dude is still a jackass who's best served as Yano's punching bag :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Nope, sorry, not buying into this "Tarou is a cool dude" narrative that's popped up recently, dude is still a jackass who's best served as Yano's punching bag :colbert:

Can you imagine a Shirobako 2 series, were Tarou is the director and Aoi is his producer? poo poo would be hilarious.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can you imagine a Shirobako 2 series, were Tarou is the director and Aoi is his producer? poo poo would be hilarious.

Is Zuka still scrubbing tables and entertaining small children in large costumes in this scenario?

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

For that matter, isn't Aoi's voice a newbie as well?
The 5 main girls are all voiced by pretty much newcomers (which makes the mocking of committees in the 14th episode all the more amusing):

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't think they expected Shirobako to be such as hit so it's more of them being able to afford to use newer actors.

Edit: Not to mention creative freedom since this series isn't tied to anything. In the show's VA debate Kinoshita actually pushed for the newbie (Shizuka) while the other reps of the industry rejected her because it could damage the series (and thus their profits). With none of that pressure from outside reps then it makes sense that newbie VAs would be used. Plus they're cheaper.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 13, 2015

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
there's such a spirit to this show that makes me glad they chose newer actresses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wonder how the voice actors feel about voicing the judgmental voices on the other side of the window.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want to see then do a bit where at least one of the Bakos meet with their RL VAs

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This has become the show I'm most consistently excited about watching each week. It's been ages since I've enjoyed an anime this much. The earnestness of all the characters, the relatability of their difficulties, the familiarity of the office bullshit, the obviously-real life-inspired side characters - it all really works. The doll & bear less so, but that's minor.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The dolls are cool because, as Aoi's inner thoughts, they illustrate that it takes being both very mean and a big loving softy to do her job.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
shirobako saved amine (this season)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Razzled posted:

shirobako saved amine (this season)

Relatively literally, too.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Clarste posted:

I wonder how the voice actors feel about voicing the judgmental voices on the other side of the window.

How about directing the guy voicing the director on delivering dialog about bad voice acting

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This has become the show I'm most consistently excited about watching each week.

I would be the same, if not for G-Reco. So Shirobako gets to be number 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

i wanted that girl to get fired so the redhead could get a job, but then she was really sad and i got all feels for her

I love Zuka and she's the most interesting character in the show because she just quietly simmers in the background never achieving any of her goals. Shirobako is so good

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

MonsieurChoc posted:

Agreed.

I think there's a decent chance this could happen too.

Tarou is Shirobako director Mizushima's admitted self-insert, and Mizushima did start out as a production assistant. Maybe this is how he got into directing?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What's the normal career path to director anyway? If there is one?

I suppose there could be worse ways to learn directing than seeing how storyboards get translated into the final work.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I know a lot of Toei's directors first show up as assistant directors, then direct other people's storyboards, then start storyboarding themselves. That sort of thing is pretty common elsewhere too.

Although it is rarer, some animators become storyboard artists/directors, and many of them turn out to be pretty good at it - people like Yuasa, Anno, Imaishi were all animators before they started directing.

Hell, Miyazaki was an animator in the 60s and 70s before and after his debut as a director on the original Lupin series.

Shirobako's director (Tsutomu Mizushima) got his start as an assistant director on Doraemon and then spent all of the 90s working on Shinchan as a director.

aers fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 15, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There are also manga artists who become directors as well. Satoshi Kon, for example, was not trained in animation and his background was illustration and comics. I think Otomo is the same in that regard, too.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 16, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In "I read reddit so you don't have to" news, scans from the Shirobako mini fanbook have been uploaded here:

http://imgur.com/a/VWtvD

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I love watching this show, even if the final episode is more and more likely to end up with the girls all visiting Myaamori at a mental institution.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I liked this episode a lot. I got a just genuinely nice feeling all around. The studio head is the coolest dude. :3:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
We might not get the Donut girls together, but maybe one other group of friends are coming back together to make an anime... :3

Also, if that sour taste scene involved someone eating sour plums IRL to draw characters eating sour plums so that they can draw anime characters eating something sour....

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So as bonus OVAs that are needed, we now have Exodus!, Andes Chucky, Gothloli Baseball and Third Aerial Girls Squadron.

Edit: Forgot about that.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 19, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

So as bonus OVAs that are needed, we now have Exodus!, Andes Chucky and Third Aerial Girls Squadron.

You forgot Gothloli Baseball.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
That episode was amazing. I would even say movie-quality. The staff is putting so much effort into this show.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not quite Andes Chucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5Lu3eQGMc

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

All those disillusioned anime industry people. At least noone has killed themselves yet.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm starting to wonder if the junior keyframe girl has actual brain damage.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's just regular autism.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I'm glad Ookura achieved his dreams of moving people's hearts, the background art in the Ghost in the Shell movie was both visually appealing and when the tank shoots the tree of life it was thematically appealing too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

girl you look like a dishrag

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man the studio President used to have some amazing hair.

Speaking of amazing, this episode, wow.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yano continues to be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So as bonus OVAs that are needed, we now have Exodus!, Andes Chucky, Gothloli Baseball and Third Aerial Girls Squadron.

Edit: Forgot about that.

But two of those are already confirmed

• Locked thread