Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Episode 1 - Now this is interesting, a series about the realistic problems an anime studio faces during production.

Episode 6 - poo poo, the director escaped from his cage!

And I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm really enjoying seeing the end product of each conflict arc. It's just a really satisfying way to conclude each crisis.

I don't know much about the actual production of animation; how accurate were the key frames at the end to what an animator would actually produce? Like, were they prettied up significantly or simplified for the show?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
And my (not really mine, somebody else came up with it in an old thread) dream of an animated moe rendition of Waiting for Godot comes one step closer to fruition.

Also, more Tokyo Drift action. I don't quite get why both of the two studios are using that same lady but I guess anime has freelancers of that sort?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

I'm really enjoying seeing the end product of each conflict arc. It's just a really satisfying way to conclude each crisis.

I don't know much about the actual production of animation; how accurate were the key frames at the end to what an animator would actually produce? Like, were they prettied up significantly or simplified for the show?
Pretty close.

http://unkoer.tumblr.com/

That's a tumbler that collects images of animation stuff from places like Yahoo Auctions and Mandrake. It doesn't update anymore (edit: or it does and isoreader just doesn't update the feed for some reason...) but it has a lot of examples of keyframe art.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's pretty cool that while they were in the exhibit the background music was pretty close to Ideon's OP theme.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
What is "Mountain Hedgehog/Porcupine Andes Chucky" referring to?

Also, I gotta say, Tarou is growing on me. He's somewhat incompetent but he's a good person who provides needed comic relief. Probably the most "moe" character (hopelessly pathetic but in a cute way) in the show. He's also the only guy drawn in the big-eyed, flat-nosed style of the girls on the show. I kinda hope he gets with Aoi just to see the rage on 4chan, MAL, etc.

Edit: ever since I found out Kinoshita's VA voiced Madarame I can't stop hearing it. This guy has such an unique, slightly raspy voice.

sincx fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 14, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uh no Tarou sucks.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

sincx posted:

What is "Mountain Hedgehog/Porcupine Andes Chucky" referring to?

Also, I gotta say, Tarou is growing on me. He's somewhat incompetent but he's a good person who provides needed comic relief. Probably the most "moe" character (hopelessly pathetic but in a cute way) in the show. He's also the only guy drawn in the big-eyed, flat-nosed style of the girls on the show. I kinda hope he gets with Aoi just to see the rage on 4chan, MAL, etc.

Edit: ever since I found out Kinoshita's VA voiced Madarame I can't stop hearing it. This guy has such an unique, slightly raspy voice.

I'm guessing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCgtQXetqso

Fables of the Green Forest aka Rocky Chuck the Mountain Rat

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Making up over classic mecha anime. I approve.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Holy god I want to smash Tarou's skull into the next galaxy, what an annoying fop.

He gives me flashbacks to the amount of terrible incompetence at work

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In this episode Tarou displays his single good point: everyone around him forms a bond of shared loathing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 14, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tarou is so bad that he can't even give the premise of an anime without people getting mad at him, that takes talent.

I hope the show eventually addresses why he's not fired because holy crap I want to know his secrets.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I hope the show eventually addresses why he's not fired because holy crap I want to know his secrets.

Director's self-insert.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wis someone please loving kill fire Tarou? I seriously cannot stand to see his face at this point, and the VA is doing too good a job sounding like a snarky shithead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sincx posted:

Director's self-insert.

I recall hearing that he is actually based on the director or something? I wonder if he looked back at the beginning of his career and is being way too hard on himself.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tarou is the best character in the show. Plz do not kill Tarou.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Tarou is the worst character in the show. Plz kill Tarou.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's not what I said at all!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm working on my first TV animation production right now and this show hits really close to home. Except their schedule seems like its cranked up to 11. The Japanese work ethic is really... insane? I think that's the word I'm looking for.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ccs posted:

I'm working on my first TV animation production right now and this show hits really close to home. Except their schedule seems like its cranked up to 11. The Japanese work ethic is really... insane? I think that's the word I'm looking for.

I've had a production for an hour-long special where we were given maybe 2 months to produce it, 2 weeks of which the studio (not the people who proposed and commissioned the special) to come up with the script. VH1 had no idea how to commission a studio with a sensible timeframe.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, it seems animation is really being squeezed by people not wanting to pay for content anymore. I dunno, I'm trying to remain optimistic because I just managed to get into the industry, but there's a lot of doom and gloom from people who have been in the industry for a while.

Anyway, at least it's better than Japan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

That's not what I said at all!

It's what you know, in your heart, to be true.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

The KA actually shown in the show was completely realistic, actual KA. It was also really really good and they got a good animator in to do it, lol.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/10562/animals-animated-creatures-effects-genga-kiyotaka_

Here's some examples of raw genga from the Space Dandy blurays.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just finished watching the episode.

Taro status: still the worst, and it's great that everybody recognizes it. A small selection:

"Why didn't you come to me right away?"
"I'm sorry!"
"Not you, HIM!"

"See?"
"Don't "See?" me!"

"I'm glad things were solved by my hard work!"
"Did that just come out of your mouth?"

:allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And thus, Tarou is clearly not Producer material. Director is a whole other ball game however.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course, the only person causing more problems in this production than Tarou is the director.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

aers posted:

The KA actually shown in the show was completely realistic, actual KA. It was also really really good and they got a good animator in to do it, lol.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/10562/animals-animated-creatures-effects-genga-kiyotaka_

Here's some examples of raw genga from the Space Dandy blurays.

I'm sure whoever did it was psyched about it--it's probably pretty rare for their work to be broadcast as-is without going through the rest of the production process, and he/she had a lot of motivation to make it look good.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Does this show exist to troll whoever the Director is based on?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Someone please gif Tarou getting smacked with the rolled up paper.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Good news: Tarou was only a useless shithead for one or two scenes this week

Bad news: Poor Ema. You really get a sense of the standard she holds herself to and how that negatively affects her psyche. And the really sucky part is that despite obviously being too hard on herself, I can't even say she's completely wrong. Like she said, she is a professional now, so empty platitudes like "do the best you can" no longer apply. You need to perform to the standard your work demands or you won't advance. It's no wonder she's so stressed right now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

But that's the best part of the show!

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I found this chart of typical salaries in the anime industry. I knew it was bad for people at the bottom of the totem pole, but not this bad:

And just how many voice actors are considered "A-list"? It can't be too many.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If you're wondering how Japan can make so much animation for such a small, otaku audience: there you go.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Super Jay Mann posted:

Bad news: Poor Ema. You really get a sense of the standard she holds herself to and how that negatively affects her psyche. And the really sucky part is that despite obviously being too hard on herself, I can't even say she's completely wrong. Like she said, she is a professional now, so empty platitudes like "do the best you can" no longer apply. You need to perform to the standard your work demands or you won't advance. It's no wonder she's so stressed right now.

This week hit really hard for me, especially about how she feels like she's wasting her time not getting better. Shirobako's too real man...

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

I found this chart of typical salaries in the anime industry. I knew it was bad for people at the bottom of the totem pole, but not this bad:

[snip]
And just how many voice actors are considered "A-list"? It can't be too many.

How does being a college student make more than anyone doing any work?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Scholarships plus part-time work, maybe? (I've got no clue either.)

Re: college students, also in this episode: "I've just now woken up after being up late last night, and I was planning to stay in and do nothing all day."

Speaking as a member of the working class: college students can gently caress right off :arghfist::(

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I hope things get better for Ema next episode. I'm sure old man animator has some more sage advice that can help out. I trust in him :smith:

As a side note, what the hell lady. Don't eat someone else's donut.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ema :smith:

Roboharu: The Robot I Made is Going Through Puberty, and It's Rough. sounds like a really awful series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Good Listener posted:

I hope things get better for Ema next episode. I'm sure old man animator has some more sage advice that can help out. I trust in him :smith:

Clearly, this Tarou's time to shine and talk to Ema.

• Locked thread