Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Shirobako site has a big dictionary for all the terms used in the show with new words each episode.

http://shirobako-anime.com/words.html

It's in Japanese of course but it's nice that they put enough thought into the show that they knew a lot of these terms would be unknown to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If anyone doesn't know, key animators get paid by the cut so when Taro said it's great he has less work now it also meant he'd be getting paid less at the end of the month. Considering the loan remark he probably needs all the work he can get.

Taro is a poo poo head.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

I'm really enjoying seeing the end product of each conflict arc. It's just a really satisfying way to conclude each crisis.

I don't know much about the actual production of animation; how accurate were the key frames at the end to what an animator would actually produce? Like, were they prettied up significantly or simplified for the show?
Pretty close.

http://unkoer.tumblr.com/

That's a tumbler that collects images of animation stuff from places like Yahoo Auctions and Mandrake. It doesn't update anymore (edit: or it does and isoreader just doesn't update the feed for some reason...) but it has a lot of examples of keyframe art.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

sincx posted:

What is "Mountain Hedgehog/Porcupine Andes Chucky" referring to?

Also, I gotta say, Tarou is growing on me. He's somewhat incompetent but he's a good person who provides needed comic relief. Probably the most "moe" character (hopelessly pathetic but in a cute way) in the show. He's also the only guy drawn in the big-eyed, flat-nosed style of the girls on the show. I kinda hope he gets with Aoi just to see the rage on 4chan, MAL, etc.

Edit: ever since I found out Kinoshita's VA voiced Madarame I can't stop hearing it. This guy has such an unique, slightly raspy voice.

I'm guessing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCgtQXetqso

Fables of the Green Forest aka Rocky Chuck the Mountain Rat

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

kazakirinyancat posted:

How the heck is a part-time waitress earning more than a full-time animator?

Maybe Ema should just go get a job at Denny's or something.
Like I mentioned earlier key animators get paid by the cut. I think there was an interview with Yamasaki Osamu were he said young animators get paid 4000 yen a cut, about $34, and there's an average of 300 cuts per episode in anime (which I'm unsure if that counts OP and EDs or not). So that's $10,200 split between all the key animators. Looking at just episode one of Shirobako there was 22 key animators. So $463 a person; if all the cuts are original, the same 22 animators are used and split evenly. Over 24 episodes and almost half a year that's $11,127. But they wont be the same 22 animators, there's bound to be recycled animation, recap episodes and it's never going to be an even split because more experienced and faster animators are going to get more work than the new guys. If during the year you only get to work every three episodes that's $8,025.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I really liked Aoi's realization at the end because a horse's gait is one of the hardest things to animate correctly and it's going to be a nightmare for the animators.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

I should assume the answer is no, but I'll ask anyways: is this the first instance of an anime girl being tsundere for car wheels?
The scene in the parking lot is there to tell us that while she's disappointed in not working on anime she still likes working in CG animation and isn't completely burnt out yet. So when she sees something related to her work, a certain rim size on a certain car, she focuses on it and examines it. It's almost the same scene from last episode with the cat but under different circumstances.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's actually 24 episodes. Amazon Japan has eight volumes up. Volume eight lists having episodes 22-24 on it.

If you're going by ANN, don't. They stick 12 on any airing show that they don't have an official episode count for.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

New top image on the website for the second half.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The blurays come with staff interviews conducted by Aoi's voice actress and in a change of pace someone actually subbed the first one with pa works' CEO, Horikawa Kenji.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=642589

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Why did Mahouka look so poo poo and move so slowly? This is the same studio that's making Parasyte, which looks great on a tiny budget.

Mahouka's the ultimate pander work, it should have had a ton of budget and talent poured into it.
Just because something is made by the same studio doesn't mean it has the same staff or the same priorities. I haven't watched Mahouka but it's obvious a lot of care and thought goes into Parasyte.

It also might just be a case of crap in crap out.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He actually never told them if the author approved anything. Just that it wouldn't be a problem. Turned out it was and they're hosed, kind of. Japan is pretty big on author's rights so they shouldn't have been doing anything without his go ahead but scheduling and excitement of a big series got the better of the producers. Hopefully what ever the problem the author had with the character designs is minor then it's just them being behind a bit.

The next episode is titled Table Flip so some one is probably going to lose their poo poo. Maybe Aoi will finally have that full on psychotic break.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I liked that they addressed Aoi's role in the show and in her group of friends through Aria.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Definently Aoi. Shizuka and the others all know what they want. Become a voice actor, a CG animator, a 2D animator and a writer. Aoi doesn't, she loves anime and she loves her friends but she doesn't really have a goal out side of helping her friends. Which is exactly what production does, helps facilitate the creation of art.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's more like they've already been dealt with. Ema too. Misa choosing between stability and her passion, Shizuka's auditions and Ema's insecurity. Even Diesel pretty much has her foot in the door as a writer; she's only getting as much screen time as she is because her position is close to Aoi's. Shizuka finally getting a role is kind of the only dangling thread.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Some storyboard pages showed up on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

From episode 01

From episode 07

From episode 08

From episode 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

More storyboards showed up for auction, this time on Mandrake.

Episode 4

Episode 11

• Locked thread