Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SHIROBAKO - 2 Moe 2 Anime: Tokyo Drift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

I would really love to see a well annotated or commentaried version of this. I gather that pretty much everything has some basis in real events, but I don't know enough of the details to say for sure.

One thing that's pretty much been confirmed is that most of the ongoing gags about the director are in reference to Girls Und Panzer. Its director is the one directing Shirobako, and it infamously had a bunch of scheduling problems that resulted in multiple recap episodes and the final two episodes being delayed by several months.

There was also the line in episode 1 about another studio's bathroom facilities. I can't find reference to who it was, but I remember a while back a story went out about some studio that had like a hundred people working in a building with only a single bathroom.

Apparently PA Works tweeted that the FTP Server making GBS threads itself was something that actually happened to them two years ago. I imagine they've got more real life references strewn about than we can ever realize.

quote:

Anyway, this was a good episode, but I wonder if the focus will start to shift at any point to one of the other girls from the high school group? It seemed at the start like it was going to be more of an ensemble piece, but it's followed the one donut girl pretty closely so far.

They'll be meeting next episode so I imagine we'll be getting exactly this soon enough.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tarou is literally The Worst.

Nice to see a respite from the hectic pace by having the classmates come together for a day off. Enjoyed the entire audition scene as well.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I know I'm quoting myself but screw it, he deserves it.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Tarou is literally The Worst.

Great episode though, this show continues to impress. It's too bad Tarou's gonna get bailed out because Aoi has to get involved now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That isn't even the worst part, even after Endou left all Tarou had to do was tell his bosses what happened so they can figure out what to do from there. Instead he calls Aoi because he's too worried about looking bad.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Good news: Tarou was only a useless shithead for one or two scenes this week

Bad news: Poor Ema. You really get a sense of the standard she holds herself to and how that negatively affects her psyche. And the really sucky part is that despite obviously being too hard on herself, I can't even say she's completely wrong. Like she said, she is a professional now, so empty platitudes like "do the best you can" no longer apply. You need to perform to the standard your work demands or you won't advance. It's no wonder she's so stressed right now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

PA Works throws us a bone by showing Ema work through her mental block and then follows that by showing how thoroughly unsatisfying and droll Aoi's sister's office job is.

It's like they don't want us to work anywhere. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

Exodus seems like a really terrible anime

I don't know, I'd watch the poo poo out of that ending he came up with. Well maybe not the horses with wings, that seems a bit excessive.

So Misa actually has the most stable and well-paying job of the group but it turns out to be total drudge work through and through. As a programmer I feel for her.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

darkgray posted:

I can't stand watching the voice actress sequences, because my stress level shoots straight through the roof.

I had to mute that part because I'm a big coward baby who can't handle second-hand embarrassment.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also Aoi doesn't need a hospital, she needs a mental ward.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hair Highlight girl is in and that's the only thing that matters.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh man that manga editor(?). They somehow made a character more insufferable than Tarou in roughly 30 seconds of screen time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like all the new characters, they manage to differentiate themselves nicely despite joining an already stellar cast. Andou and her enthusiasm (and hair) are my favorite of the bunch.

Oh right, and Musami is well damned screwed, aren't they.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wonder what happens when we go even further beyond?

Tarou 3 with hair going down to his knees would be a new level of obnoxious, I agree. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm loving the running gag of Tarou getting poo poo on by the newbies just like he is by everyone else.

So Ogasawara took to cosplay when she couldn't properly portray the character she was designing and the habit stuck. I suppose creative types need whatever works to get their juices flowing

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Her profile is noticeably wider as a whole and her head is slightly bigger compared to the rest of her body, among other small details. The result is she ends up looking a lot less lanky in the revised designs.

I don't know, it seems like a pretty substantial difference (and improvement) to me.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Davincie posted:

eagerly looking forward to a new age of adult workplace moe

New age? Working! is on its third season!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm guessing Hyuuma Hoshi is not known for his pick-off move?

Somehow I doubt he uses that windup from the stretch :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Just loop this forever.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

If this had been posted early in the series, I would have raged.

Now, I'd actually like to see that.

Nope, sorry, not buying into this "Tarou is a cool dude" narrative that's popped up recently, dude is still a jackass who's best served as Yano's punching bag :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can you imagine a Shirobako 2 series, were Tarou is the director and Aoi is his producer? poo poo would be hilarious.

Is Zuka still scrubbing tables and entertaining small children in large costumes in this scenario?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

drat they really might have Zuka just fail at her goals in the end.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's subtle satire/commentary on the tendency to lazily reuse animation to save money. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I enjoyed watching Aoi handle Hiraoka's flippant and assholish demeanor just by being the consummate professional the whole way through. No outbursts or desperate pleading, just a clear and direct talking-to which more or less boiled down to "Check your frustrations at the door and do your drat job." :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So when Shizuka kills herself, will Ema get her stuff and her apartment?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So they really do make up these little sister characters on the spot to resolve tough plot contrivances! Actually it wasn't clear to me whether Lucy was an existing manga character or an original, maybe I missed it. Too busy marveling at Kinoshita being awesome.

When Shizuka walked in and Aoi's reaction throughout the whole thing, what a great scene. Clearly worth raking Zuka over the coals for :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fangz posted:

I don't want it to be 'much darker'. I would simply have preferred an outcome where, say, Shizuka would have to be compromise on her dream and still have that be a happy ending for her.

Her great accomplishment in this show is voicing a bit character with five lines in a two minute scene. That seems like the very definition of a "compromised" happy ending, though obviously from our (and Aoi's for that matter) vantage point it isn't really like that.

If it makes you feel better just pretend that small bit parts are the best she ever does.

• Locked thread