Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if anybody here has watched Paranoia Agent, but I've started watching it and reached episode 10, which is a filler episode about an animation studio that's working on an anime adaptation for the pink dog mascot that's prevalent throughout Paranoia Agent. The episode made me instantly think of Shirobako and Tarou 'cause there's this dude named Saruta who has to be at least 10 times worse than Tarou:

I wanted to strangle this guy through my TV screen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

They have the same VA, too.

Neeksy posted:

This episode felt like an homage to that episode, right down to the dolls explaining the process.

Having the same VA is just amazing icing on the cake.
Wow, I had a feeling they were done by the same actor. Makes me wonder just how much planning is put into Shirobako...

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

Has anybody gotten their hands on the Sentai blu-rays, how good/bad are they
I've actually had it for a while but had yet to open it. Watching it now, and so far it seems fine. Somebody on Amazon complained that the video quality is not as good as CR's SD stream, but it looks crisp and clean to me. :shrug: Audio sounds fine too, but it's not like there's much going on in terms of sound in Shirobako.

Translations, for the most part, are fine... Sometimes, the translation will sound funky or sometimes just incorrect (for instance, "Okay?" instead of "What?" or "Huh?" when somebody said "Hai?")

Sometimes, there'll be a translation note at the top, which... is fine. Like, sometimes it helps to add the note, sometimes it's not necessary. Honorifics are added to names at times, sometimes dropped completely. Not sure how they determined when to drop them, but it's better than using English honorifics (Mr, Ms... etc. I personally hate it when translations do that.)

In terms of complaints... they used a plain yellow font (blech.) They disabled the ability to turn off subs. When name cards pop up next to the characters, the English translations are placed directly on top of the Japanese text, so it gets hard to read. When they're subbing background and foreground lines, they'll bunch both of them at the bottom, so it gets hard to tell which you should be paying attention to (whether it's the top or bottom line, or the white or yellow font.)

One super annoying thing is that they added a completely silent black and white credits chapter to the end of each episode.

Overall, it's definitely not terrible. It's got its flaws, but I think it's worth the money. However, I also really Shirobako, so I would've gotten the BD regardless. :)

Edit: The first OVA is not included.. I doubt either OVA will be included in the second BD.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is it all out as one set yet?
No. The second half isn't out yet.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 4, 2016

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Rewatching Shirobako, made me wanna rewatch Iroha, and thats making me wanna go on a PA Works tour.

Canaan was pretty okay (great show with a terrible last ep resolution to a penultimate ep cliff hanger). I went into glasslip all psyched off iroha and was incredibly disappointed. Other than that i havent seen any of their stuff. Will be interesting to explore.
I think I'm one of the superminority that enjoyed watching Glasslip. I'd just come home from work and wind-down by watching it for the art, colors, environment, and music. Then again, I didn't have any expectations for the show; I didn't know anything about it going in and didn't have much of an opinion once it was over.

(I've watched Iroha, Tari Tari, Nagi-asu, Glasslip, Shirobako, Charlotte, Haruchika, and currently watching Kuromukuo.)

In other news, I ordered the 2nd volume of Shirobako. :dance:

• Locked thread