Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's more descriptive than you might think but you have a point, I'll PM Zorak.

SHIROBAKO - This is why anime is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Demicol posted:

When they say they are "filming" an episode, that just means the part where they animate it, right?

No, filming is taking the individual drawn character animation cels, laying onto the background art, and photographing those onto a negative film. That film would then be developed and sent to final editing, and finally either positive prints made (for projection in a theatre) or telecined (for broadcast or home video).
Or at least that's how things went before production went digital.

In modern production with a semi-digital workflow, as it looks like they're using here, I assume they mean scanning in the line art produced by animators, for digital coloring and effects, and finally producing+editing movie files from it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Waiting for the president to cook up some donuts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Someone please gif Tarou getting smacked with the rolled up paper.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Razzled posted:

The real way for them to make money overseas is to improve their digital distribution methods. Licensing is always a pain in the rear end but if Netflix and CR can figure it out I'm sure they can figure out a way to do it better.

DAISUKI is proof that it's apparently hard for Japan to make something overseas viewers will want to use.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay Aoi really needs to watch her stress levels. That's some seriously bad hallucinations she's having this time.

:cheers:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx posted:

Whoever did Kanno's voice (assuming it's not Anno himself under a pseudonym) was incredible. The VA manage to sound EXACTLY like Anno--not only the voice, but also the tone, inflection, the weird pauses when Anno talks, the whole nine yards were the same. Did this VA voice anything else?

Shouto Kashii, he's done a ton of minor characters in all sorts of anime, but nothing major it seems.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guyver posted:

The blurays come with staff interviews conducted by Aoi's voice actress and in a change of pace someone actually subbed the first one with pa works' CEO, Horikawa Kenji.

That was worth the watch and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Second half has begun, and things are looking great (but hectic). Aoi gets a major upgrade and it looks like the team might finally get assembled by conincidence. Go Zuka, I know you'll win that audition. The plot demands it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A somewhat odd thing I noticed.
The new ending song is performed by the "Donuts Quintet", nothing surprising there. However, it was written and composed by Momoi Halko. Has she stopped performing her own things now, or did they just get her to do something unusual for this show?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's true that we haven't seen Tarou gently caress up massively as he did in the early episodes, but on the other hand we haven't seen him be competent either. Since we haven't seen him be competent I'm assuming he's still postponing work until last minute and poo poo a conflict resolution.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://altairandvega.net/2015/01/07/shirobako_glossary/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was a Good Episode, and the most hellish meeting.

Shame about Zuka not getting the role, though I still have a hunch she will get called in later for some reason. It sounded like the scheduling for the more veteran actors was heavily booked.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I could imagine it was more fun to let the VAs ad-lib those scenes and then make animation fit that, yes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ccs posted:

Wait are you loving with me or this really how little difference there is between designs? The skirt pattern is changed slightly and the hair highlight is very very slightly different, and the shoulders are the slightest bit narrower, but that's it.

And yet, I guess there really are manga authors that would demand these slight changes.

Yeesh.

The chin shape and expression of the eyes too. Actually the entire cranial shape is different. It's "minor" but it does make a difference in the kind of character expressed.
I'd say the skirt pattern isn't really changed, it's just differences in drawing, in fact the final design has it somewhat different between the frontal and rear views. However it does seem she has slightly lower/more relaxed shoulders in the final design.
And I think the chest was made slightly larger too. Notice that there is a visible wrinkle in the jacket after.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

your wish was granted with new aria announcement

Aria? As in gondoliers in Neo Venezia?
Because that will make me very happy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hey, cool PV there!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tarou is a loony, but he isn't (any longer) putting production in danger. The new dude is definitely going to ruin things on several occasions. He doesn't seem to actually care about the job or his colleagues.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aoi was cool about wanting to hire that legendary backgrounds guy. She already had the guts to attempt to get not-Anno so surely she can get another.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Studio Titanic is everything you imagined.

And Yano returns!

Make sure to watch the part after the ED.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

So as bonus OVAs that are needed, we now have Exodus!, Andes Chucky and Third Aerial Girls Squadron.

You forgot Gothloli Baseball.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not quite Andes Chucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5Lu3eQGMc

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Andes Chucky sequences seemed to be digitally composited, at least, but they definitely did use some older techniques in it. I don't think it was just some filter run over it, I think they might actually have drawn and painted cels and backgrounds by hand, then scanned those and composited in digital.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Newbie Animator Hourly Wage: Around One Dollar

quote:

A newbie animator in Japan gets paid around 120 yen – that’s one, yes, one dollar – an hour.

That’s the word from animator and character designer Sachiko Kamimura (City Hunter, Arslan) in a recent blog post where she appeals for the industry to change its ways.

Kamimura writes “after seeing so many new animators unable to eat and slowing wasting away, I feel like something must be done.”

The problem, Kamimura writes, is animators are paid not on a monthly salary, but for each completed drawing.

Twenty years ago it might’ve been possible to draw enough frames to earn a decent living, she writes, but that’s impossible with the style of today’s anime, which requires more delicate lines.

She estimates that people with high skill who cut down their sleep and take no vacations can draw about 500 frames a month, earning far less than Tokyo’s minimum wage of 888 yen ($7.50) an hour.

In her appeal to the industry, Kamimura argues without decent wages, newbie animators are forced to drop out of the industry, which ultimately compromises the quality of anime.

Source: Kamikura's blog via Xavier Bensky

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

EXODUS! was dumb and fun. I'd watch it.
(I'll also watch the new episode of SHIROBAKO.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What needed to happen did happen. This was a most excellent episode and I can't wait to see how things will implode once more next week only to fix itself magically.

But you know, a season 2 will almost inevitably feature Tarou as a director.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not seeing it, who else has noticed them?

The fact that they are even present on the photo?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Make a gif out of the Aoi column please.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And if anyone wants to make their own, here's some Avisynth:
code:
function getimg(clip img, int x, int y) {
  return img.crop(x*231+1, ceil(y*231.6)+1, 226, 228)
}

imagesource("H:\anime\Wq3MSP7.jpg")
animate(0,13, "getimg", 4,0, 4,13) # <-- change this line
trim(0, 13)
assumefps(10)
lanczosresize(100,100)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fangz posted:

3rd Aerial Girls is actually pretty good. I can see myself watching a season of this.

Seconding this. I wish they'd make more of it.

• Locked thread