Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm working on my first TV animation production right now and this show hits really close to home. Except their schedule seems like its cranked up to 11. The Japanese work ethic is really... insane? I think that's the word I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, it seems animation is really being squeezed by people not wanting to pay for content anymore. I dunno, I'm trying to remain optimistic because I just managed to get into the industry, but there's a lot of doom and gloom from people who have been in the industry for a while.

Anyway, at least it's better than Japan.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

I found this chart of typical salaries in the anime industry. I knew it was bad for people at the bottom of the totem pole, but not this bad:

And just how many voice actors are considered "A-list"? It can't be too many.

This is why most animators skip college and do a short training program before going straight into the industry. By the time their peers graduate college, they'll at least be close to being a key animator and not subsisting just on ramen and financial help from their parents.

As an animator, the Japanese industry is definitely a mix of good and bad. Good includes some creative control over the final product that outsource studios in China and India don't get, and consistent work. You never have to worry that the work will run out or that you'll have a period of unemployment. In America and Canada, animators always face periods of unemployment.

Then again, I can make in a week what a Japanese animator makes in 3 weeks, while working 3/4ths of the hours.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Japan is probably the worst place for animators these days (though China and India are also quite bad). With Japan you have high cost of living combined with low pay and a shrinking market of anime fans who actually buy the product. It's why the attrition rate is so high and why so much of the animation talent goes to the video game industry instead. And then, if possible, jump ship to Vancouver to work in the Canadian animation industry, which is awash in government subsidies.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I felt so sorry for the newbie key animator who feels so hopeless when she has to do the retakes. Because it actually is amazing that someone can become a key animator in only a year and a half. Most take 3-5 years to get there. But I guess she really wanted to be one of those genius people able to do it in 3 months especially when she feels the industry only values geniuses.

Maybe if these animators were better compensated they wouldn't feel this same sense of hopelessness. But now it's like their artistic pride and financial future is tied up in how fast they can become a great and fast key animator. That is so much pressure.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mikl posted:

A guy I know did some work on a triple-A video game some time back. Production lasted a couple years, and he did two things: blades of grass and water ripples. For two years.

Bet he knew all kindsa poo poo about blades of grass and water ripples by the end of those two years.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

They're meant to be caricatures, don't think about it too hard.

Also, they work in animation production. Everyone is on the autism spectrum in this industry.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Miyazaki got the name "Ghibli" off of an airplane.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently the reason Tarou is so insufferable is because he's based on Tsutomu Mizushima, who is directing Shirobako. The director is using Tarou as a way of beating up on his younger self's idiocy and unprofessionalism.

Goes to show even people like Tarou can rise to become respectable professionals.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He seems stand-offish but if he's able to get his work done efficiently then he'll be better than Tarou.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Artists can be like that though. Totally unable to regularly communicate with humans, but beasts at their trade.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Especially in an industry as strange as the anime industry. When the workers are being paid almost not a living wage and having to work crazy hours, you've got to put up with some of their eccentricities.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait are you loving with me or this really how little difference there is between designs? The skirt pattern is changed slightly and the hair highlight is very very slightly different, and the shoulders are the slightest bit narrower, but that's it.

And yet, I guess there really are manga authors that would demand these slight changes.

Yeesh.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright, I guess there's changes. It would matter in CG a lot, where they use one model per character as base, but I wonder how much it'll actually change the quality of the 2D animation, as all animator's styles vary slightly. Though I guess they've got animation checkers to bring everything back on model.

BTW speaking of anime production, did anyone back the Under The Dog kickstarter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkN4apus2gA

Apparently they changed most of their creative team, spurred by two companies butting heads over the direction of the project. Now they're back on track to deliver, but it really hits home how fraught any production can be. Even, or maybe especially, one that is placing a lot of power in the animation team's hands.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

How is it possible to live off this?

It's not. Animators are subsidized for the first few years in the industry by their parents. After a few years they might have enough skill to do key-frame animation which will at least pay a living wage, though I doubt almost any animator is able to own a house or have a family, unless they're incredibly successful like Miyazaki. Miyazaki also came from money, so he's a different story.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, I would like these kind of people as colleagues. Earnest workers who are also able to have some fun.

Although, this just came out about what it's actually like working in the industry. Does make Shirobako seem very idealistic, despite the hardships it depicts:

"For a salary that’s been as low as $100 a month, the never-ending work schedule has landed Thurlow in the hospital three times for exhaustion and illness. "

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danmeth/thi...ares#.ngaWyx51b

gently caress you, anime industry.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, but the California industry is totally oversaturated. Anyway being an animator is hard anywhere, though if you're a childless person in the US without student loans (not likely) and you actually have work, you can live a fairly comfortable life, as in you'll have shelter and won't starve to death. And in Canada, animators even get to have families and go on vacation sometimes! Truly a paradise (thanks, government subsidies).

• Locked thread