Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

dogsicle posted:

I guess I interpreted it more as "How did this girl succeed at all professionally if she can't participate in a mandatory meeting/talk to another person." I do get that she's probably just crazy talented, whether or not she's always so on edge.
She's kind of over the top but after spending a few years working with the kind of creatives in the show, she's not really that far-fetched. There's so little space for personal growth that talented people can end up having a comfortable bubble put around them that enables them to work, at the cost of things being a nightmare the moment you need them to do something new (or have to interact with them). The way characters like the director are depicted in the show, it's not unreasonable for her to be terrified of saying something in error and immediately regretting it.

Working with someone like that would be incredibly frustrating, either way. I'm curious to see whether they're going to give her some growth in the rest of the series or she'll just be a problem that the other girls have to handle.

I think the bubble they had around Sugie in the first arc is kind of an analogue. In that case he turns out to be very relatable and skilled and a good teacher, but you can tell most of the characters had just decided that it wasn't possible to interact with him, or that he was inflexible, or that they shouldn't bother him. Once something like that is in effect long enough it becomes a self-reinforcing rule. I've worked with a considerable number of people who, for whatever reason, ended up walled off in their own little silo at work. Some of them were incredibly productive and smart but management/producers had decided they were too difficult to handle/manage and just left them to their own devices.

(I was one of those people for a while, actually, and it was pretty depressing. I tried hard to avoid letting that happen to my reports when I moved into a production role later.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread