Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

i like super metroid ever so slightly more than metroid prime but they are both masterpieces

v. good opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

i like super metroid ever so slightly more than metroid prime but they are both masterpieces

i hold the same opinion

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
OtherM ruined metroid fusion for me, once the first text bit comes up about Adam I turn off the SP by reflex.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I dont like super metroid because it made me get lost in the very beginning like a million times until I finally stumbled on some upgrades but I can respect it and gamers who like it

if you think nes metroid is bad please go jump into the nearest lake wearing your finest pair of iron boots

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tardcore posted:

OtherM ruined metroid fusion for me, once the first text bit comes up about Adam I turn off the SP by reflex.

youre a bitch baby

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

elf help book posted:

youre a bitch baby

Yea I kinda thought so too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

only metroid i havent 100%'d is fusion, it is a pretty loving hard one to find all the powerups in.

ZM, you can tell that there's something up with a room and there's a puzzle that needs to be solved with your end-game suite of powers, but fusion they're actually really hidden and it's kind of a pain imo. only weak point of the game for me.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

well there's also a million power ups in fusion because your ability upgrades don't count towards percentage like they do in other metroid games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

only metroid i havent 100%'d is fusion, it is a pretty loving hard one to find all the powerups in.

ZM, you can tell that there's something up with a room and there's a puzzle that needs to be solved with your end-game suite of powers, but fusion they're actually really hidden and it's kind of a pain imo. only weak point of the game for me.

I never had a problem finding them so much as had problems executing the ridiculous shinespark tech needed to acquire them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Bobnumerotres posted:

thats how every metroid is. once youve gotten every upgrade the story is wrapping up and youre being told to deal with the final big bad but it's the perfect time to just chill and re-explore everything for the poo poo you missed.

i hope the new metroids just show you how many upgrades youre missing in an area, ala ZM. MP3 went overboard by literally just telling you where everything you missed is, regardless of whether or not you've even entered those rooms. way to suck the fun right out of backtracking.

but then if youre not shown if youre missing things in a given area it can become an enormous chore, in MP1 and 2 i was constantly hunting the upgrade humming sound through every room one-by-one because i had loving nothing else to go on.

iirc the powerup tracker in MP3 was activated by going out of your way and launching these two satellites on the steampunk planet that you could only set off if you had gotten the last power from the space pirate world, so it's not like you had knowledge of all their locations from the start, just if you were already hunting for them as your endgame

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

iirc the powerup tracker in MP3 was activated by going out of your way and launching these two satellites on the steampunk planet that you could only set off if you had gotten the last power from the space pirate world, so it's not like you had knowledge of all their locations from the start, just if you were already hunting for them as your endgame

From what I remember it involved a really cool spiderball sequence so it was worth it anyway.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

No Such Thing posted:

From what I remember it involved a really cool spiderball sequence so it was worth it anyway.

Yeah, it was a really fuckin cool sequence all around (and involved launching a bunch of satellites into high orbit around other planets which is pretty great on its own) and personally I thought was a pretty elegant solution to just looking things up online. It might have also been that you could unlock the satellite for each planet after clearing it of other things rather than waiting for them all it once, which is also a nice little touch if you just wanna get one setting out of the way as soon as possible (which I wouldn't know why you would, MP3's planets were all fantastic).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I liked MP3 all told but once I figured out that the corruption mechanic was a non issue the difficulty fell off of a cliff

Kinda sad about that

(edit) not that combat is the primary focus of metriod games, but ehn

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I liked MP3 all told but once I figured out that the corruption mechanic was a non issue the difficulty fell off of a cliff

Kinda sad about that

on hyper (hard) mode there are a lot of attacks that will insta-kill you if you're going through corruption, thought that was a nice way to tie that up and keep you grounded with the regular abilities unless you absolutely needed hyper mode.

MP3's combat was very fun and dynamic compared to 2 and especially 1. i think the only enemies that were a threat in 1 were the wave troopers the first time you fight them since it's in a tiny corridor where your dodging is limited and their shots hit hard.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

didnt read a single word of the thread other than the title but I fully agree

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bobnumerotres posted:

on hyper (hard) mode there are a lot of attacks that will insta-kill you if you're going through corruption, thought that was a nice way to tie that up and keep you grounded with the regular abilities unless you absolutely needed hyper mode.

MP3's combat was very fun and dynamic compared to 2 and especially 1. i think the only enemies that were a threat in 1 were the wave troopers the first time you fight them since it's in a tiny corridor where your dodging is limited and their shots hit hard.

Oh i thought hyper was just the "enemies are now retarded bullet sponges even in corruption" difficulty, didn't realize there was a close to that particular loop

drat now I wish I still had it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Oh i thought hyper was just the "enemies are now retarded bullet sponges even in corruption" difficulty, didn't realize there was a close to that particular loop

drat now I wish I still had it :(

Hyper difficulty is pretty daunting at first, until you learn to use Hyper Mode properly. The enemies do a LOT more damage, and in turn can take a lot more. With normal fighting this is trouble, but since when in Hyper mode you return to normal if you loose your "charge", getting hit with enemy attacks replenishes your charge, letting you stay in crazy-kill mode longer. Plus you can always return to normal if you take too much damage and absorb too much gunk by sacrificing an E-tank.

• Locked thread