Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
It occurs to me that I should have posted this earlier so there would be more advance notice in case anyone wants to tune in.

Anyways a bunch of DIY speaker building enthusiasts are getting together on 10/18. We're going to be live streaming the whole thing.
If you're into speakers, wood working, wasting money, or other nerdery you can tune in here to see people show off their designs and talk about them.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iowadiy---grinnell-diy-audio-event

I've been thinking about doing a DIY speaker building thread if that's something people would be interested in at some point. I'm no expert but I'm sure I could throw something together. Anyways I'll be there tomorrow, tho just attending, I'm not showing anything. To any one who tunes in, cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Welp that was a total waste of time for you guys. Apparently the venue had a problem with ustream and I didn't find out till I got back home the next day. Sorry to anyone who actually tried to watch it.

Here's the streamed video on youtube, the sound isn't great but you can't hear how good a speaker sounds through another set of speakers anyways, but it shows off the looks of the designs and you can hear the designers talk a bit about them and whatnot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNnF7yZmTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?12_neK6JlHk

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Actually yeah a pair of Microbes from the old thread about 7 years ago is what got me into DIY speaker building. They're still on my desk serving as great PC speakers. I've built more stuff in my day. Still haven't gotten around to learning the art of the passive crossover, but active stuff is getting so cheap and easy to come by that I may never have to.

The hobby has come a long ways, here's some pictures of this weekend's get together.
http://imgur.com/a/yqY6U

Mofabio posted:

Thanks for posting - not a total waste of time. I'm still rocking DIY microbes from the old AV forum thread.

I'm looking to upgrade at some point though - is there an effort-to-cost-to-sound quality sweet spot?

Not 100% sure what you mean by effort in that equation. I suppose the answer to that aspect would be pick a simple design, something rectangular and don't do any of the crazy shaped poo poo if you're not into it.

As far as cost goes you can build some real giant slayer stuff. In the $300-$800 range you can build stuff that'll probably blow away anything you could get at a hi-fi shop for under several thousand, and beyond $800 in DIY and a couple thousand at the high-fi shop I think you hit diminishing returns pretty hard.

ChaoticSeven posted:

I was just trying to remember the name of those speakers from the old thread. Building those is what got me started in woodworking. Still have them, was thinking about refinishing and repainting them since I'm better at that stuff now.

Yeah my original Microbes look relatively like poo poo. I also plan to give them the box they deserve on some rainy day.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Yes, I believe so. One of my tweeters "blew" but then mysteriously started working fine again. I don't use them right now, but I'd like to put them in the bathroom up high in the corners. They're ported though, not sure how much room they need from the wall.

Yeah the port needs at least an inch or two off the wall to breathe. Unless you re-build the cabinets and relocate the port to the front or side or bottom or something.

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 22, 2014

• Locked thread