Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is this one cour?

if so I think i'll just go and read the manga, save myself the couple of weeks to an open ended conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was pretty sure it was two, considering how long its taking to get things going.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
So is this anime really going to have only 11 episodes? At the snail pace they're going only one of four delicious bishies will be introduced.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Candy Dawn posted:

So is this anime really going to have only 11 episodes? At the snail pace they're going only one of four delicious bishies will be introduced.

Last I heard it was 24-26 episodes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also everyone should watch Seirei no Moribito, which is similar but also quite alot better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Phobophilia posted:

Also everyone should watch Seirei no Moribito, which is similar but also quite alot better.

Seirei no Moribito is amazing but other than setting and general plot outline it is a very, very different show in what sort of character relationships it is about and its tone. I feel they are too different to make a straight better/worse comparison.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Moribito is great and Balsa is probably my favorite female anime character ever but it's not really made for ogling dreamy dudes.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Yeah, I don't really see how Moribito is anything like Yona aside from being vaguely-eastern fantasy-adventure stories.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Polearm wielder protects royal child from assassinations and political intrigue.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Polearm wielder protects royal child from assassinations and political intrigue.

Yes, like I said, it is only similar in the vaguest and most superficial of ways.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
White dragon looks weird as gently caress

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I guess everyone has lost interest in this show due to glacial pacing?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I still catch it. It might be glacial, but it's cool. I think blue dragon dude is the best so far,

Hopefully the pace picks up a little once all the dragons have been collected, though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gnossiennes posted:

I still catch it. It might be glacial, but it's cool. I think blue dragon dude is the best so far,

Hopefully the pace picks up a little once all the dragons have been collected, though.

I suspect that the meat of the show *is* collecting the dragons. Once they're all together, actually fighting the emperor and removing him from power will be relatively brief.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

There Bias Two posted:

I guess everyone has lost interest in this show due to glacial pacing?

Nope, still watching. I'm really liking blue dragon dude's little arc so far and am looking forward to even more bickering in the boy-harem after he joins.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Still watching here too, the pace is relaxed, not too slow.

I'm liking Blue Dragon, his voice actor is really doing a good job of portraying how timid his life long shunning has made him. I'm looking forward to him opening up a bit once he has people around him who appreciate him instead of hating him. :unsmith:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

I suspect that the meat of the show *is* collecting the dragons. Once they're all together, actually fighting the emperor and removing him from power will be relatively brief.

There is about zero chance that they'll fight the emperor before the 24 episodes are up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Squirrel dude is cool, the squirrel is even cooler

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

The manga's still ongoing isn't it?

And yeah, I really like blue dragon's arc. I hope his life gets happier once he inevitably gives in to Yona :unsmith:

coathat
May 21, 2007

I can't wait till Yona completes her harem and they get to murking fools.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I stopped watching cause I began reading the manga instead and once I've read the manga I don't feel like going back to the anime for stuff like this or last year's Even So, the World is Beautiful.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A friend introduced me to the series, and we've spent the last few days watching all of the episodes. It was a fun experience! The show's definitely best suited for marathoning though. The slow pacing during the beginning would have driven me mad.

The thread was right: Hak is dreamy. Squirrel guy (and the squirrel) are also great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This week's episode had some pretty great scenes, for all that they didn't really go anywhere or do anything. Blue Dragon guy is pretty adorable, he's more like a pet than the squirrel is.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
This is my favourite series this season but I just wish Hak didn't have so many predatory lines. :|

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The new opening song is just like the last opening song, only the exact opposite.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

If by exact opposite you mean terrible. The new ED is a pretty, though.

Also the dragon collecting is more interesting than Soo-won and tribal politics imo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the more action-y opening animation but kinda felt like I went back in time to a 90s anime with the song.

From the preview looks like Su-won already smelled rebellion from the Earth clan and is using the war games as an opportunity to put the beat down on the general and win his loyalty. Fire is in his pocket, Wind has the baggage of Hak hanging over them so they can't really act up too much, the Sky general is his advisor or something? but is maybe feeling some of the same restlessness as Earth so maybe that will also be settled next episode? I don't remember seeing much about the Water tribe so maybe we'll be seeing another strategy later on to pull them under his influence unless next ep. also sorts them out. TBH it had been so long since we'd seen his POV I almost forgot who he was when he first showed up. I haven't read any of the manga yet but just glancing at the wiki there was a popularity poll and some pirate guy was #3 after Hak and Yona and now there's some pirate stuff in the opening so maybe we're going to get sidetracked with hot pirates soon. :pirate: :hf: :wiggle:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 21, 2015

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Still watching it too. I like the new OP but I like Jpop trash too but it does not really fit that well.

Just wish it isn't going to end with all the dragons collected and probably some nonending. And that today's episode wasn't almost entirely spent on Soo-won and his posse.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is definitely a show I wish they had waited on until the Manga was done. Hak is awesome and Yona is an interesting heroine so I'll be sad when their story goes unfinished.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been listening to the Topics in Korean History podcast (made by a goon!), and it's fun to see some of the little inspirations taken by the show. Kouka is a bit like Goguryeo (but more lush and with fewer horse archers), the two southern kingdoms are Silla and Baekje, and Tang China is Kai.

We've not seen the King hold court, and he travels around with much less pomp and procession than historical Korean kings. Also they seem to not have any the Confucian trappings that have been a traditional part of Korean governance.

Edit: also, Japanese people have a long history of grabbing a sword and a boat, and raiding Korea.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 21, 2015

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
The new op is truly horrible mainly because they only changed a few pictures so what was the loving point even. This is like a slap in the face. Okay, I'm just being dramatic. But I really loved the old opening :(

Also this episode only reconfirmed that Su-Won is still the best waifu in the series.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I've been listening to the Topics in Korean History podcast (made by a goon!), and it's fun to see some of the little inspirations taken by the show. Kouka is a bit like Goguryeo (but more lush and with fewer horse archers), the two southern kingdoms are Silla and Baekje, and Tang China is Kai.

We've not seen the King hold court, and he travels around with much less pomp and procession than historical Korean kings. Also they seem to not have any the Confucian trappings that have been a traditional part of Korean governance.

Edit: also, Japanese people have a long history of grabbing a sword and a boat, and raiding Korea.

Also I'm fairly certain the four dragons are a reference to the Four Commanderies of Han.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Not a fan of the new intro, the song is worse than the orchestral piece used in the first intro and just doesn't fit the show very well and the animation is mostly recycled, I like the new outro and song though.

The episode itself was good, I like how they are leaving the various characters morally ambiguous, I mean most anime have morally grey characters to one extent or another but I think this one does a much better job of moral ambiguity than most shows. Did Su-Won do the right thing in the big picture by killing and supplanting King Il? Is Yona doing the right thing in seeking revenge on Su-Won? It's pretty interesting and really well executed compared to a lot of other media out there.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I don't mind the new intro as I wasn't particularly fond of the original, but what was the point in just changing the song?

I haven't read the Manga so I'm not sure if Su's relaxed and cheerful personality right now is just him being deceiving or he's really that chill. I'm hoping it's the former, I want him to reveal himself to be a truly evil and ruthless king, this show has too many nice people for my liking.

I'm enjoying seeing Yona learn more about her father though, and that despite her own little bubble being perfect; the common people were actually suffering. I'm hoping it sets her on a path to become a truly great leader eventually, and with Hak by her side not as her partner but as a general. I don't think Hak is a suitable love interest for her because their love is only based on his duty to the King, he would do everything for her and I think she needs a husbando who will keep her set in reality and to remind her that she isn't always going to be right.

Solefald fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 21, 2015

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Solefald posted:

I don't think Hak is a suitable love interest for her because their love is only based on his duty to the King, he would do everything for her and I think she needs a husbando who will keep her set in reality and to remind her that she isn't always going to be right.

In that case, Gija and Shinha probably aren't it either. Really, none of the dragons would be.

So as you can see, it's clearly Su-won all the way down.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Solefald posted:

I don't mind the new intro as I wasn't particularly fond of the original, but what was the point in just changing the song?

:10bux:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That played out pretty much as I expected.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah and I hate that it took up an entire episode but at least we get the pirate stuff and the green dragon next. There's pretty much no way this ends any other way than "get all the dragons together, dramatically look toward the capital in a still frame, roll credits" or something of that sort, kinda wondering if they're hoping for a second season to actually get some war on.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what you guys are talking about, that episode owned. It wasn't a complex story but it was fun and well produced, and it's this kind of additional detail that makes the series so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It was pretty eye opening for how much I like the quality of this show tbh. I should HATE soo-won by all means but the narrative is just so well done that i'm actually torn between sympathy for Yona and pragmatic acknowledgement of soowon's actions.

• Locked thread