Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Plot
In the peaceful and vaguely Eastern kingdom of Kouka, citizens and nobility alike prepare to celebrate the 16th birthday of the King's only child, Princess Yona. Yona lives a carefree life with her doting father and childhood friend, Hak. A spoiled and naive young girl, Yona is accustomed to getting anything she desires. Except for the affections of her first love, Soo-Wan. However, on the eve of her 16th birthday, Yona's life is thrown into chaos. When a traitor assassinates her father and stages a coup d'état, she is forced to flee the kingdom with Hak. Lost and frightened, the peaceful life Yona knew is gone forever. To take back her kingdom, Yona must rebuild her life and also raise an army. An army of powerful and handsome young men, naturally.

Characters

Princess Yona - CV: Chiwa Saito (You should know who Chiwa Saito is)
The 16-year-old princess of Kouka. Spoiled and naive. Dislikes her unruly vermillion hair.

Son Hak - CV: Tomoaki Maeno (Naotsugu in Log Horizon, Pain in Naruto)
Yona's childhood friend and bodyguard. One of Kouka's five generals, and said to be the strongest warrior in the kingdom.

Soo-Won - CV: Yusuke Kobayashi(Honoka Takamiya in Witch Craft Works, Kazuki Kurebayashi in WIXOSS)
Yona's cousin and childhood crush. Wise, confident, and a skilled fighter.

PVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb5QStlHuHQ

Streaming
Akatsuki no Yona has been licensed in NA by Funimation, but is still available for streaming on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I'm really enjoying this so far! After episode one I spent the next few days reading the manga and I'm really enjoying it. I hope that the anime pushes translators to catch up. Only like 47 chapters are translated and I read that there are 90 chapters out so far. :(

I can't wait for Yona to get more badass.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wait, everyone is a young man in the traveling party? That's kinda weird :v:

The MC looks cute w/her short hair though. I wonder if Yona learns sword mastery later on because I like swordswomen...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm liking this so far. I'm hoping most of the harem-y romance stuff I expect from looking at the promo art stays fairly low-key (because Hak is clearly the best guy and there should be no competition :colbert:)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How annoying is this show? Please answer on a scale of 1-Fushigi Yuugi.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Yay! New chapter of the manga is out. And it's awesome as usual. I can't wait til the anime has the whole group together. They play off one another so well, MUCH better than Fushigi Yuuji imo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I like pretty boys so my answer may be biased but if you dislike shoujo already this show isn't going to improve your opinion of them.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Alder posted:

I like pretty boys so my answer may be biased but if you dislike shoujo already this show isn't going to improve your opinion of them.

So far there hasn't been a constant stream of things like
"Tamahome!" :sparkles:
"Miaka!!!!!!" :sparkles:
So that's always a plus.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Sakurazuka posted:

I read the manga for this and this is decidedly less annoying than Fushigi Yugi. Yona is good people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool.

Alder posted:

I love lots of shoujo, but all the shots I've seen of this screamed FY which is one of most disliked shows.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i watched the first episode and Hak is the dreamiest anime guy so far

i will keep you posted on how episode two affects my thoughts on this matter

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hak widens his already large lead, but the guy from the ending scene with the mask and squirrel shows promise

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
See, I'm aiming for a come-from-behind Soo-Won victory at the last moment.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

See, I'm aiming for a come-from-behind Soo-Won victory at the last moment.

Soo-Won always comes from behind. :pervert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does this show compare with 12 Kingdoms? Is it like a 12 Kingdoms that doesn't pass the Bechdel test or something?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

How does this show compare with 12 Kingdoms? Is it like a 12 Kingdoms that doesn't pass the Bechdel test or something?

It's definitely aiming for a similar feel, but with something between a dash and a gallon of Fushigi Yuugi thrown in (time will tell).

I... I don't think it's possible for this show to even take the Bechdel test. It'd probably fail the reverse test, though.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I... I don't think it's possible for this show to even take the Bechdel test.

Yona talks to that female servant in this episode, does that count? :v:

I hope this show starts introducing the other dudes next episode. I'm afraid this whole season is just going to be collecting bishies, and I'll have to wait for a theoretical second season to see them actually do stuff.

That sure was an adorable flashback though :allears:

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Another great episode. I loved the flashback, they were all so cute!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Episode 3 was painfully boring. Just about every single thing they showed I had surmised from the first two episodes. It doesn't help that I hate all of their childhood voices.

I was wondering why they showed the endgame of Yona being all badass archer lady, and this is why. If it weren't for that promise, I think this episode would have convinced me to drop this. Next episode looks to be somewhat better, thankfully.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This series has a pretty great opening sequence, I was surprised. Hopefully the rest of the series keeps the pace up after all this story history/foundation stuff is through.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Razzled posted:

This series has a pretty great opening sequence, I was surprised. Hopefully the rest of the series keeps the pace up after all this story history/foundation stuff is through.

yeah the main theme is really good

almost as good as hak is dreamy, for that matter

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cake Attack posted:

yeah the main theme is really good

almost as good as hak is dreamy, for that matter

I can't wait for us to meet the furry hippie squirrel ninja

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the sound mixing is really bad in this, wow

anyway, i like the blond guy who's name I don't remember, who would be a good candidate for the best guy if it weren't for hak, whose noble decision at the end of this episode made him only dreamier

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is a pretty good show, with some interesting character dynamics. Soo-Won is still a cipher, and it's a good cipher because you can see hints of his true feelings hidden under the realpolitik that this is the Correct Thing For The Kingdom.

This gives an interesting strain of nationalism, where it's about the kingdom's factions not just jockeying for power, but also trying to remain united in the face of outside threats. Injustice will be (temporarily) left to stand, there are greater foes to worry about. And since this is Fantasy Korea, those outside threats are probably Fantasy China and Fantasy Japan. I can see why Japanese nationalists are so bent out of shape about the show.

Seriously, those fuckers are the gamergaters of anime. At least the shows that try to cater exclusively to them are artless garbage like Mahouka or Kancolle. And there are interesting anti-nationalist shows out there, like UN-Go and Kids on the Slope and Rahxephon.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

And since this is Fantasy Korea, those outside threats are probably Fantasy China and Fantasy Japan. I can see why Japanese nationalists are so bent out of shape about the show.

They are? I know I'm probably going to regret asking this but what's the story there?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Phobophilia posted:

And since this is Fantasy Korea, those outside threats are probably Fantasy China and Fantasy Japan. I can see why Japanese nationalists are so bent out of shape about the show.

Mostly Fantasy China. Kouka Kingdom is analogous to Goguryeo Kingdom, the northern of the Three Kingdoms, and the tussles between them and China are "well documented" on both sides.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

They are? I know I'm probably going to regret asking this but what's the story there?

In general? There are lots of racist jerks on the Internet. Notably relevant: Japanese racism towards Korea. So imagine telling them that during this time a bunch of Chinese and Korean immigrants were integral to the cultural development of Japan and became key historical figures.

Bonus content: Hilarious map of not-Korea I found for reference:

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Goddamnit. I assumed this was based on an otome game. I wanted to marry some generals :negative:

Though just looking at the OP, Hak is really the only hot one??? The others look like they were designed in the 1990s.

Actually, I take that back. Soo-Won is the best and prettiest husband.

Cake Attack posted:

anyway, i like the blond guy who's name I don't remember, who would be a good candidate for the best guy if it weren't for hak, whose noble decision at the end of this episode made him only dreamier
He obviously only did it for the Good of the Country because King Papa was actually a tyrant or something. he is still loving husband material.

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 3, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well that was a pretty great episode, glad things are finally starting to move in a direction with more rear end-kicking. I actually got a little bit of a chill there at the end when Yona finally got all fired up. Also, from the preview it looks like next episode she'll be getting a haircut.

I support more flirting from Hak but please don't be creepy with it dude.

Posting my nomination for Heang-dea as best throwaway side character, because he stole the show in the last episode and this one as well.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 4, 2014

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Everything Burrito posted:

Posting my nomination for Heang-dea as best throwaway side character, because he stole the show in the last episode and this one as well.

Isn't that guy dead?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Aw, I was totally expecting Yona to pick up the bow and go all Hunger Games on some dudes.

Also I hope we got all the obligatory Creepy Shoujo Guy pick-up lines out of the way in this episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yona what the heck was that weak sauce Japanese-style kneeling bow

my immersion :qq:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a lot of manly acts by Hak this episode

it's like he knows no other way to live.

RIP Hang-dea

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Redcrimson posted:

Also I hope we got all the obligatory Creepy Shoujo Guy pick-up lines out of the way in this episode.

Thankfully, she doesn't really seem to be reacting to them. But they're super annoying anyway. I don't like that the episode ended with her standing so close to the cliff she just pushed that dude off :|

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show seems to be moving along at a snail's pace.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

:captainpop:

but then again, who doesn't?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It think it's safe to say that gay innuendo is just a thing that Shows For Girls do, the same way that aiming the camera at tits and asses is just a thing that Shows For Boys do.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Phobophilia posted:

It think it's safe to say that gay innuendo is just a thing that Shows For Girls do, the same way that aiming the camera at tits and asses is just a thing that Shows For Boys do.

There's nothing gay about wanting a beautiful man like Son Hak

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You guys weren't joking when you said Hak was very dreamy. And I'm still only on the third episode.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Razzled posted:

There's nothing gay about wanting a beautiful man like Son Hak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I'm so unbelievably happy that the manga is being updated more frequently. This story is such a delicious guilty pleasure.

• Locked thread