Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It is cool, I'm still mostly feeling quite bewildered and frightened which I imagine is how the real generals felt

e: just noticed this is the main thread not our team's thread, ignore the above and replace with "yes, I'm glad our carefully laid plan is coming together, I don't think the french suspect a thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's great for me! I get to see how mistakes are made! ;)

I mean, all of my generals are fabulous with a capital ous.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I'm hooked. This is shaping up to be a lot more direct than the Sample Game. We're not doing a positional dance-off here, we're just lining up and bloodying our fists.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

I'm hooked. This is shaping up to be a lot more direct than the Sample Game. We're not doing a positional dance-off here, we're just lining up and bloodying our fists.

You have no idea. Just wait until/unless artillery comes into play. Two corps sitting across from eachother can just smash into eachother till they're both whittled down to nothing, it's super fun.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I hope there will be a review on the battle when it's done, because i'd like to know what people think of decisions made, things missed, opportunities ignored etc.

Enjoying it though. It does look like we got right to it!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

silvergoose posted:

You have no idea. Just wait until/unless artillery comes into play. Two corps sitting across from eachother can just smash into eachother till they're both whittled down to nothing, it's super fun.

I really hope it doesn't play a big role in our battle, it's been super fun thus far to just carefully manoeuvre around and panic about every move. Having cannons just go ahead and frag everything doesn't sound equally exciting.

Also I'm really enjoying things, at first I was a bit unsure about how combat works, but after resolving the first few battles (esp. against Dokhtorov) I am really enjoying the intricacies of it. Calculating every possible move my opponent might make and how I can respond to it is fun, and I find that you don't know how large an advantage knowing the enemy army composition is until you do know it. It was a huge eye-opener.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tevery Best posted:

I really hope it doesn't play a big role in our battle, it's been super fun thus far to just carefully manoeuvre around and panic about every move. Having cannons just go ahead and frag everything doesn't sound equally exciting.

Also I'm really enjoying things, at first I was a bit unsure about how combat works, but after resolving the first few battles (esp. against Dokhtorov) I am really enjoying the intricacies of it. Calculating every possible move my opponent might make and how I can respond to it is fun, and I find that you don't know how large an advantage knowing the enemy army composition is until you do know it. It was a huge eye-opener.
Artillery is limited and vulnerable. Also, there aren't too many hills that make it possible to hammer away every turn.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am also angry about artillery because it's pretty much a whole new battle resolution sequence to learn :argh:

I really, really hope everyone's writing down their battle memoirs.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm sorry for holding things up

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
This isn't a World War 1 trench, there will be no ceasefire and friendly kick about on No Man's Land just because its Christmas! :argh:

(No problem, do what you have to)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've posted in what I feel is the equivalent of the wartime kickabout except at half time the english all take out their machine guns and massacre the germans (who were winning 3-0, so it's justified)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's a Christmas miracle! Don't worry about getting orders in until the 26/27! The troops in the ground are right now shooting each other marginally less than before!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, let's get this show back on the road! Please start posting again from now on.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

For the benefit of those not reading the French thread (I don't think any of this needs to be classified):

Tekopo posted:

Allied Movement

silvergoose
  • Attack Threat 42 -> 54

Since the Artillery defended on another approach, it cannot defend this one.
Artillery is destroyed and the french lose one morale.

Allied Morale: 16
French Morale: 20

Gutter Owl posted:

Wait, how the hell did they pull off this poo poo? The Santon is obstructed against cavalry.

Section 18, Santon special rules, bullet point 3: Approach penalties apply to attacks into the locale even when the defending pieces are in reserve.

Section 11, Attacks, paragraph 9: Cavalry units cannot lead an attack, lead a defense, or counter-attack if the defense approach is obstructed.

They could not have possibly declared a legal attack along the road, as the attack would be invalid on declaration, when they have to demonstrate that the attacking units are cavalry (Section 11, paragraph 8).

Tekopo posted:

Read the highlighted part very carefully. It says that cavalry cannot lead an attack. This is a very specific term in the game. So it is possible for a cavalry unit to do feints on obstructed approaches. As well as that, it is possible to perform an attack (that isn't a road feint) with a cavalry on an obstructed approach, have the cavalry be the only unit declared in the attack declaration, and then be forced to have 0 units named as leading units (although why you would is unclear when you could just declare a feint).

Gutter Owl posted:

gently caress, nevermind. 11.5, bullet 3, "there are no leading units in such attacks [feints]." Which means the obstruction penalty apparently does nothing, because the cavalry aren't actually leading an attack.

This makes no goddamn sense to me. A bunch of cavalry who can't even get up the hil run around and make some noise, and somehow this convinces our soldiers to panic, throw the battery off a cliff, and loving commit suicide. loving brilliant.

Tekopo posted:

There is actually a distinction. Cavalry CAN move up the hill. They just can't attack up the hill. So the presence of the cavalry threatening an attack would still potentially cause a unit to panic, especially if it appeared that they were attacked from two sides.

Tekopo posted:

Also, you need to think about it in terms of how the attacks would be conducted in real life. The first attack would gain the attention of the battery, who would set up for defence, when they suddenly hear about enemies infiltrating on the other side, upon which it would be too late to shift the defence. There's a lot of ways to rationalise it.

Gutter Owl posted:

Fine, fine, I get it. I'm just really sore because this is a significant loss caused by confusing rules rather than tactical missteps. Play on.

Tekopo posted:

To be fair, I hadn't realised the implications of road feint on the Santon before the Allies made the move. I'll know for my next game to keep a bodyguard on the Santon in my future games.

Yeesh. Good loving play, silvergoose. You not only caught us with our pants down, we weren't even aware that our pants weren't on in the first place.

I can recognize that Rachel Simmons is a brilliant designer of games. But christ, she's downright awful at teaching those games to you. Teaching board games is a not-insignificant part of what I do for a living (writing credit, not the voiceover). And writing something as unintuitive as these rulebooks would get me fired.

But then, this is true of a lot of beloved wargame rulebooks.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 1, 2015

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Gutter Owl posted:

didn't read this yet

I'm barely following these threads but I *THINK* you need to take that map image out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I have to say that I've had to read and re-read the rulebook over quite a few times before I understood what the rules attempted to do. I've seen worse rules, but the rulebook doesn't help at all when trying to learn the game. On the other hand, some of the wargame rulebooks I've read (especially from GMT) were some of the best rulebooks I've ever read.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And hey, all it does is remove your fixed battery, it's not like you aren't doing pretty great on the other side of the line!

But yeah, I've been setting up try to remove the fuckin Santon battery for a while now.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

As have I. I'm glad our plan succeeded, SilverGoose.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Now all we need to do is complete the penetration in the north...and salvage the center...and maybe do something in the south...

...this would be a lot easier if we didn't have limited commands!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy the last couple of days. I will update once again tomorrow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Morholt posted:

Tekopo please use this when posting the French orders

we want them to achieve full immersion after all.

So does that mean the French are the Orcs in the new Hobbit movie?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Busy during the weekend, update coming tonight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Update coming tonight if people are wondering.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Has this died the sad death of a forum game? Moves have been very few and far between. Will I have to take Tep up on his London offer to get some more NT in my life?!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nah it hasn't died, I've just been lazy. Also it might look sometime that not much has gone on, but it's because only the other thread is being active.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Ooooh ok, cool, I hope I don't come across as impatient but as eager. And that I'm not cheating because I never went near the other thread!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
There's a copy going for £65 with a day to go on eBay UK.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been ill + on holidays so if you are wondering this game isn't dead yet.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

:ohdear:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
It will be a shame but I wouldn't mind if this is dead, but if so what I would like would be a review of how the game played, any obvious mistakes or good moves, just to learn more about it really.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well the main issue now is that the laptop where I have my stuff is dead and I'm evaluating if it is worth repairing it or not. Don't buy MacBook pros.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Hmmmm. Would it be a detriment to the game in process if previous turns were analysed? I guess it would be because there's still hidden information on the field.

How many games does it take to get a real understanding of what I can do and should do?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It depends on how quickly you take in information, to be honest. There are things that didn't become clear to me when I was running the game, for example. One thing that I didn't realise the implications of was how good defensive artillery is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

It depends on how quickly you take in information, to be honest. There are things that didn't become clear to me when I was running the game, for example. One thing that I didn't realise the implications of was how good defensive artillery is.

For deterrence in keeping enemy units out of a locale, or in actual save strength combat?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

In combat, for example how an artillery in defense on approach is pretty much immune to 2 strength infantry and will fight them off for no loss.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I'm in favor of calling it at this point and looking at what we were thinking and where we were going. I mean, if the game did restart, I'd be completely lost anyways. I forgot my battleplan like a month ago. (Not to mention it's hard to HAVE a battleplan when you've only got direct control of a handful of pieces, and can only communicate in the most abstract and useless ways.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Call it a draw then? I guess the units under my control were dead men walking anyways. Or at least Dokhtorov was, at least.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm in favour of calling it a draw.

As long as I am officially recognized as the Most Corps-Shattering Commander on the Field.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tevery Best posted:

I'm in favour of calling it a draw.

As long as I am officially recognized as the Most Corps-Shattering Commander on the Field.

Likewise as the most Santon-assaulting Commander on the Field.

Also, if it's a draw, I would like to note that I have STILL not ever lost at this game. Someday, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sure thing, well call it a draw. Sorry for dropping the ball on this! Feel free to look at each other's threads. Btw, the French center would have been absolutely crushed if it had gone another turn.

• Locked thread