Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Directly on the heels of HBO soon offering a stand-alone service to get non cable subscribers access to their programming by 2015, CBS has quickly and almost quietly thrown up a paywall to access next day streaming of most all CBS shows.

Named CBS All Access, subscribers must pony up $5.99/month to access next day episodes of CBS' primetime shows. The subscription does have a few other perks in it's model. Paying customers will be able to access previous seasons of current CBS shows and it will open CBS' classic library of owned shows like The Twilight Zone, Taxi, Frasier and Cheers among countless others. The classic library will be available commercial free in most instances. Also, in markets where the CBS affiliate is an O&O (owned and operated) there will be a feature to watch your local affiliate live. CBS has O&Os in most all of the Top 10 rated markets (NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Philly, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Seattle & Pittsburgh). Showtime content is also rumored to maybe become available in the future.

Non-subscribers will have to wait 8 days from original air date to be able to stream show content and content will only be available for approximately 3 weeks before it returns back behind the paywall.

CBS All Access is obviously a counter attack to sites like Hulu+ which CBS has never ever fully embraced because they have no skin in that game. This changes that. Expect any and all CBS owned property to be removed from Hulu if it hasn't happened already.

The part of this move I dislike most is the removal of being able to view next day content for free. For example, I tend to always miss The Amazing Race airing on Friday because I'm doing other things and catch up sometime over the weekend. Starting today, I'll have to wait until at least next Saturday to watch the episode airing tonight. I also fully believe CBS will eventually just shut the brief free window viewing down and force you to pay, period. While $6/month isn't a huge kick in the teeth, you know the other nets will be following suit soon. If ABC/NBC/FOX all do the same in addition to services I already subscribe to like Netflix and Amazon Prime, I'm already getting close to that $80/month cable bill I ran away from years ago. This is also a precursor as to what an "ala carte" system would look like.

Unfortunately, this might be the start of the complete dismantling of so-called "free TV" as we know it. While over-the-air broadcasts are still available and probably will be for at least another 5-7 years I would not be surprised if stations out in the sticks start going dark over the next decade citing they are no longer profitable and turn into yet another Religious Godsquad Pay-To-Pray abomination.

I'm not even addressing the elephant in the room that are :filez: which we all know know are easily obtainable. I'm just throwing this discussion out for the legal means of watching program content.

So, I ask you. Are you willing to pay $6/month for online content from The Tiffany Network? What about when The Mouse & The Peacock & Cletus the Robot all fall in line? At what point do you draw the line and say "Enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Robnoxious posted:

So, I ask you. Are you willing to pay $6/month for online content
Nope, not for anything that isn't sports. I'd have cancelled cable years ago if not for the fact that I need my baseball fix, I haven't watched anything on network television without an .MKV extension in over five years. The fact that I have cable eases my soul, and having netflix and hulu covers that most of the way already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wonder how long it will take before CBS owned shows start disappearing from Amazon and Netflix and other streaming services. If lots of networks get in on this I can see a trend of only being able to see their shows on their service.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If they take Cheers and Frasier off netflix I will :argh:

But they alone aren't worth the price, and I think I watch 2 shows on CBS total so not worth it for me. Especially since there are still ads. Goddammit if you make me pay don't make me watch ads too. Ads are for the free version you jackasses

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
But I never got a chance to watch Deep Space 9 :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

you know the other nets will be following suit soon.

Several of them have only had new episodes go up after 8 days for years now.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CaptainYesterday posted:

But I never got a chance to watch Deep Space 9 :(

In theory, there's nothing stopping you from watching it. Or any other tv show ever, easily, so don't be sad.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Fateo McMurray posted:

If they take Cheers and Frasier off netflix I will :argh:

They were mentioned in the op too but since when are cheers and frasier cbs shows? Did nbc sell them to cbs or something?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ProfessorGroove posted:

They were mentioned in the op too but since when are cheers and frasier cbs shows? Did nbc sell them to cbs or something?

Both were produced by Paramount which is owned by CBS' Viacom.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ProfessorGroove posted:

The network that airs a show doesn't necessarily own it. Years and years ago yes each network would produce and own their own shows. With company mergers and takeovers and catalog buyouts over the years the line starts to get blurred as to who owns what especially nowadays.

Mister Kingdom is correct with why Cheers and Frasier fall under CBS properties. Another example is Modern Family which has its first runs aired by ABC but FOX owns the show. Ted Turner owns the bulk of MGM's library that's worth a poo poo (everything prior to May 1986). It's because of that buy that Turner Classic Movies exists on cable.

That is sort of what I was trying to get at with this thread. If every production library owner were to break off to solely online distribute their wares in house like CBS is attempting to do there would be a huge amount of places you'd have to separately subscribe with to watch everything you'd want to. I truly believe that is the direction we are going.

There would be no point in subscribing to Netflix expect for only the things Netflix produces if everyone else pulled out to go at distribution on their own. It's no coincidence Netflix got into the original programming game. They see the writing on the wall too.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 18, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Robnoxious posted:

The network that airs a show doesn't necessarily own it. Years and years ago yes each network would produce and own their own shows. With company mergers and takeovers and catalog buyouts over the years the line starts to get blurred as to who owns what especially nowadays.

Mister Kingdom is correct with why Cheers and Frasier fall under CBS properties. Another example is Modern Family which has its first runs aired by ABC but FOX owns the show. Ted Turner owns the bulk of MGM's library that's worth a poo poo (everything prior to May 1986). It's because of that buy that Turner Classic Movies exists on cable.

That is sort of what I was trying to get at with this thread. If every production library owner were to break off to solely distribute their wares in house like CBS is attempting to do there would be a huge amount of places you'd have to separately subscribe with to watch everything you'd want to. I truly believe that is the direction we are going.

There would be no point in subscribing to Netflix expect for only the things Netflix produces if everyone else pulled out to go at distribution on their own. It's no coincidence Netflix got into the original programming game. They see the writing on the wall too.

Hey I know what will stop people from downloading our shows! Paywalls as far as the eye can see!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey I know what will stop people from downloading our shows! Paywalls as far as the eye can see!

No, Commercials in content behind paywalls. That'll bring the people back.

Maybe they can try TV show DLC, too. Pay $10 extra for the season finale of each show.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can't disagree with you there.

However, unlike the record companies that refused to change their business model for the digital age until they were deemed next to worthless, television is trying to do something to cash in. I wouldn't call it altruistic but they certainly aren't putting their fingers in their ears and closing their eyes refusing to see what's coming next.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

That is sort of what I was trying to get at with this thread. If every production library owner were to break off to solely online distribute their wares in house like CBS is attempting to do there would be a huge amount of places you'd have to separately subscribe with to watch everything you'd want to. I truly believe that is the direction we are going.

This sort of thing might work for the major networks, but I see it going very badly for others, and it would probably have the side effect of killing newer networks. I think some might try and stay in the game by offering shows free (by that I mean free to watch with ads you can't skip through), which could boost their viewers. But I feel like it would be cheap to charge people for their cable and then make them pay again if they want to watch online, unless each network/company allows you access through Comcast/Verizon/what have you (like HBO does with HBOGo).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Robnoxious posted:

It's worth pointing out that there's already a precedent for this happening with digitally distributed video games. The response from publishers to Valve gaining a massive amount of control over PC digital distribution has been to launch their own separate services and, in EA's case, refusing to play ball with Valve on their larger titles. It's an objectively bad move from a consumer point of view, but it's happening anyway and it's likely the trend is going to continue. I can't see why large holders of television content would be any more likely to work together and do what's best for consumers instead of what's best for themselves.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind this. People have been asking for years to pick and choose what channels they wanted in their cable package. This is just the networks beating cable companies to the punch.

When I had cable television I would mostly watch the same few channels. If that ends up pricing out lower than cable then I'm all for it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I wonder how long it will take before CBS owned shows start disappearing from Amazon and Netflix and other streaming services. If lots of networks get in on this I can see a trend of only being able to see their shows on their service.

How many shows does CBS actually own? I thought most off-air shows have more to do with production companies and distributors than they do with whatever channel they aired on.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Fragmentation seems pretty bad but honestly it's unlikely that anyone would need to subscribe to more than a couple services anyways.

It is also unlikely that a lot of channels or content makers would be able to create successful streaming services anyways. CBS pretty much creates garbage content to act as background noise for old people and the 1% of shows that they do make aren't enough to justify subscribing to a service for more than a month if even at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The thing with this kind of paywall and theoretical explosion of network based streaming services is that no single network has sufficient content to justify the $6 per month price tag that CBC is floating. Using CBS as an example, there's exactly one show I watch on the network. If theoretically I could no longer get that show except through their paywall (I don't pick up over the air signals very well here) then I'd just drop it. There's plenty of other things to entertain me at a much better value (not that you do those calculations, of course; you just go, "Yeesh, why would I pay that?" and walk away).

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The thing with this kind of paywall and theoretical explosion of network based streaming services is that no single network has sufficient content to justify the $6 per month price tag that CBC is floating. Using CBS as an example, there's exactly one show I watch on the network. If theoretically I could no longer get that show except through their paywall (I don't pick up over the air signals very well here) then I'd just drop it. There's plenty of other things to entertain me at a much better value (not that you do those calculations, of course; you just go, "Yeesh, why would I pay that?" and walk away).

I would expect them to offer season passes for select shows (much in the same way that iTunes handles it) that would allow people to watch a single show on their network without gaining access to the rest of their content. That way they can still squeeze money out of people who are only interested in a particular show rather than their entire network.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They just announced Person of Interest coming to Netflix. I guess that won't last.

Does anyone know how Hulu's pay service has been doing? I'm going to guess that CBS will fail at this because who wants to watch CBS shows from this century? Twilight Zone and Star Trek are the only shows of theirs that I've ever wanted to see or enjoyed.

What happens if CBS tries this and it fails? Does tv stay on tv for a while longer?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PoI is only getting its first 3 seasons on Netflix, due to some syndication deal. S4 onwards will be on the CBS thing, however long that lasts.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I couldn't possibly care that CBS itself is doing this, except the trend it threatens to set. I don't like any single show on CBS, but it will be obnoxious if most or all other broadcast networks start thinking their poo poo is all good enough to hide behind an online paywall, because in an environment where I'm picking and choosing where to spend my money, well network TV suddenly becomes more dead to me than it already was. HBO and premium cable has its appeal because there are no loving commercials, no FCC oversight, no advertisers, and the content therefore doesn't suffer in time, quality of content, or immersion breaking commercials every few minutes. Network TV and its content has all of this. It's an inferior product that's not itself worth paying for, it's barely worth wasting my time watching advertisements for maybe two or three shows across all of those networks. I don't know the kind of person who wants to pay a premium to stream broadcast network television, but it's not me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah gently caress those plebeian network TV watchers and gently caress dumb network tv loving idiots!!!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

PoI is only getting its first 3 seasons on Netflix, due to some syndication deal. S4 onwards will be on the CBS thing, however long that lasts.

The bigger question is how it'll affect syndication deals in the long run. Reruns of Big Bang Theory are huge for TBS, and CBS sold the syndication rights to 2 Broke Girls a few years back for an insane amount. If those shows' libraries aren't available on-demand, then what's the point of CBS's service? And if they are available, then what happens the next time CBS tries to syndicate one of its hot new shows?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

How many shows does CBS actually own? I thought most off-air shows have more to do with production companies and distributors than they do with whatever channel they aired on.

Each of the big 4 networks has their own production studio, which combine for about 80% of what gets aired on network tv. The bulk of the rest is from Sony and Time Warner.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah gently caress those plebeian network TV watchers and gently caress dumb network tv loving idiots!!!

There isn't enough quality programming on network tv to justify this versus even basic cable, and yeah a whole heaping bunch of it is brainless and terrible. As premium cable and digital services become more ubiquitous there is going to be even more brain drain. I hope it's not hard to realize that the kind of programming that's currently thriving on the networks isn't the kind of stuff that typically carries a premium service, and their stuff that comes close suffers a whole hell of a lot because it's made for network tv. It's not about viewers as much as it's about the networks. You can reduce down to strawman :smuggo: nonsense if you want but network tv isn't loving good enough to go against premium cable services when it comes to competing for subscription dollars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're all owned by the same parent companies. Guess which goes away first.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm going to guess that CBS will fail at this because who wants to watch CBS shows from this century?

Well, they do love to say that they're "America's most watched network", probably because old people can't get enough NCIS. That same demographic is likely to treat any kind of online service as toxic, though.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

Well, they do love to say that they're "America's most watched network", probably because old people can't get enough NCIS. That same demographic is likely to treat any kind of online service as toxic, though.
Good point. This is the demographic that still go to their bank branch to make deposits and withdraws with bank passbook in hand because they still don't trust that "ATM racket".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

How does one compete with a more convenient free product (besides the whole it's stealing thing)? Make it less convenient, have ads, charge money. See guys? Online doesn't work! That eight day thing really is baffling; so you want me to never ever watch your show on TV because I can't ever catch up?

• Locked thread