Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Bonsoir, messieurs. I have no idea what I'm doing. Please give me a few pointers and a hint of what's expected of me. Much obliged. Vive l'Empereur!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Gutter Owl posted:

Okay, we can still make this work. Pulling the north cavalry back to 55 isn't a huge issue, as it still limits Bagration's road march. Likewise, 119 still slows Dokhtorov. The only problem is that either can clear out or lock down the screen with a cavalry feint.

The cavalry at 105 is the tricky one, since it doesn't have a simple find/replace answer. We could move it to 83 to slow the center attack a bit, or send it to 41 to shore up the north flank.

Alternately, we can reattach the cavalry and use the detachment to send one of our artillery into position. Either sending from St. Hilaire to 102, or from Legrande to 140 (with the intent to move to 147.)

I'm favoring the Artillery detachment to 102, as reflected above. This means we can finish the "plug" by using an independent action to move a 2N to 102, and St. Hilaire's corps move into 82. (Otherwise, we'd have to use St. Hilaire's order on a detach to send both plug units, and delay the maneuver into the city.) I've reassigned the spare cavalry to Bessiers, since he's got more open ground to work with. Everyone else is (intentionally) mired in obstructions.

Thoughts?

(Also, welcome to the thread, Tevery.)

Would they be unable to do that if the cavalry were at 66? I think it actually makes it harder for them, since we're a bit further away and the roads don't facilitate it as much.

Do we not risk losing our artillery by setting it completely on its own? Or do we have a plan for it?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What's the role of the artillery at 102? Is it there to cover a possible retreat?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
OK, talk to me about the practicalities of the thing. What should we aim to achieve? What's the difference between a bad manoeuvre and a good one? In combat, which units should I post as leading and what should I keep in mind while making the decisions?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, what should my plan be? Just hold the line and retreat the cavalry as necessary? Is there anything I should do to reform my position, or is it good enough as is for now?

This is roughly what I'm thinking will, tell me if it makes any sens:

Option A: Allies only attack my position with Kienmayer. That means they can either go right at me through 135 and 119 (this would take at least two turns), which would be a major blunder, as they'd just bleed themselves dry. They may also attempt to go around me, either through Das Schloss to 132 or through 131 to 117. In the first case, I just fall back to 132 and then we'll see what happens. If they go through 131, should I attempt to intercept them? With cavalry feints, I should have an advantage if I can catch them in the open.

Option B: Allies go at me with Kienmayer and Dokhtorov. That rules out any attempts at attacking until (if) we bring Bernadotte out, so once they get to 131 or 134, I fall back to 132. Once there, feint with the cavalry to eat up their activations if they want to attack in full force, detach forces to approaches, prepare for the last stand.

Option C: Kienmayer and Dokhtorov also bring out Langeron. Goes like Option B, except that the last stand comes sooner and pretty much means it's merde time.

Am I getting this correctly?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
OK, we'll see how it develops, then. Gotta say that I'd say that having both Dokhtorov and Kienmayer push for me early seems like the most likely solution (although I may be biased).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Gutter Owl posted:

Well, good. That's what we want them to do.

I know.

Don't tell the men, though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
All right, I'm just gonna hold position for now.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
No movements, again :( .

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
No defenders. Retreat to das Schloss (134).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Rules question: can the cavalry in Das Schloss attack Dokhtorov's corps? In other words, is the approach obstruction there bidirectional, or only on the way in?

If they can, Attack threat on the 134-119 approach. If not, Attack threat on the 135-119 approach.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Okay then. Attack threat on the 134-119 approach.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Press the attack.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Attack threat on the 135-119 approach.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Detach Move the 2-inf piece to 132.

Question: when did Kienmayer's corps get that fourth unit? There are three set-up bars on his locale, and I don't recall anyone moving in there. Is it just my memory?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Was the revealed Guard unit a part of the Corps or an independent?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Tekopo, could you please keep count of remaining Allied orders for us? That would be very handy.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Attack threat: 119 -> 135

Also, what time is it? My notes say 10 AM, your posts say 9.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Feint, stay in reserve

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Nothing more from me.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- French Team: Proclaim an early victory

Madame, Messieurs, félicitations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If that's it for frankenfreak, then I'm gonna say I stay put, no orders.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Retreat to 133.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Rules clarification about something I noticed a bit late:

could Dokhtorov attach that unit, if it was in reserve? The rules say that for an Attach command to work, a unit needs to be in the same position as the corps it attaches to.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Just to confirm, entering the first locale does count as a reinforcement's first move, like Gutter Owl assumed?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yes, of course. Sorry about it, had a rough week. Will post tomorrow.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Attack threat 133 -> 119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Unit Move 2 CAV.

Corps Move: Bernadotte off map -> 147 -> 148, then 148 -> 141 -> 142

• Locked thread