Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

THIS IS THE ALLIED THREAD, IF YOU ARE ON THE FRENCH SIDE PLEASE DO NOT READ IT

Current Chain of Command:

Commander in Chief: silvergoose (Corps: Bagration Constantine)
2nd in Command: Aston (Corps: Kienmeyer Liechtenstein Kollowrath)
3rd in Command: Morholt (Corps: Miloradovich Prebyshevsky)
4th in Command: Davin Valkri (Corps: Dokhtorov Langeron)

French Chain of Command:

Commander in Chief: Gutter Owl (Corps: St. Hilaire Davout)
2nd in Command: Frankenfreak (Corps: Lannes Vandamme)
3rd in Command: Tevery Best (Corps: Legrande Bernadotte)
4th in Command: Fat Turkey (Corps: Murat Bessiers)

Reference Map and Starting Troops:

Order of Business:
- Elect Chief Commander and set up the chain of command.
- Have the conference: decide on Corps allocation, strategies, deployment, general orders etc (remember you deploy first as well).

Restrictions:
- I will make one restriction for Corps allocation in order to add to the flavour: players can either control Russian Corps or Austrian Corps but NOT BOTH at the same time. There are currently 3 Austrian Corps and 6 Russian Corps.
- Remember that on your turns you can move up to 3 independent and 5 of your Corps.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't know about anyone else but I think silvergoose should be out chief commander.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Agreed, I think he knows this game?

Never played this but I played GoG.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm cool with commanding, sure. The only team game I've played was four players, French, and I was the subcommander. Tek can you spell out which corps are which? Also that makes me think one person should take the three and the other three people take two each from the six.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Should the head commander take 3 corps or should that be someone else?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Should the head commander take 3 corps or should that be someone else?

Could go either way. If the commander uses three corp moves and all three independents, then there's two total corp orders left for the entire army, so I might go with the top having only two? Just a vague sense, I don't know what a good division would be.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Come to think of it, given the restriction, I guess we'll have one Austrian commander and three Russian ones. I'm completely new to the game, so maybe I should take a block of two Russians.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Awright, so I guess I'm heading this band of misfits, who all wants to be my second, third, and then fourth? I don't have any preferences, so sound off yours. The functional things that matter for this are that the lower down you are, the later in the turn you go. This means that there may be fewer orders left for you to use.

On the French side, this would mostly just involve fewer independent orders available. Since we're a massive hulking army of disparate nations, we only get 5 corp orders as well, so the first two commanders could use everything (assuming one has the 3 corp set) and then the latter two get to do nothing that turn. Obviously, in general, we'll avoid doing that; use what you need, take opportunities as they are presented, set up for later orders, but don't just use a corp order when it could be used better by someone else.

So, with all that said, who wants to be earlier (and therefore shoulder more responsibility, but have more options available to them)?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I would prefer later than earlier please.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Noted, though if everyone says that I'll just have to start choosing. ;)

Oh also please say whether you'd rather two or three corps, I think I'm set on giving three people two corps each, and one person three.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'll be last and take two Russian corps. Honestly I'm still in rules reading mode.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Also noted. Please do ask any rules questions, I'm happy to answer (and we'll see if Tek lets us do rules questions in this thread mid-game since ffff sending messages is hard and takes a long time).

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'll take either 2 or 3, I might have a bit of trouble figuring out my first combat but other than that I think I'll be ok

Should we be discussing our general strategy here?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aston posted:

I'll take either 2 or 3, I might have a bit of trouble figuring out my first combat but other than that I think I'll be ok

Should we be discussing our general strategy here?

Cool, you're most likely going to be 2nd in command with 2 or 3 depending on whether I want the full three corps or not, then.

Yeah, this is the place. I *usually* end up sending at least one cavalry corp to the right side, a smallish force to the left to just keep the French holed up on ridges, and have some heavy corps to smash through the middle.

I am, of course, completely open to any suggestions or thoughts, and also where people want to be and whether they'd like to have lots of cavalry, or mostly infantry, or try to outsmart our opponents with the artillery batteries.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I don't have a preference for command.

I guess the overall strategy is to make the French call for reinforcements, whether by attack or feint, and then switch to defensive play?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Morholt posted:

I don't have a preference for command.

I guess the overall strategy is to make the French call for reinforcements, whether by attack or feint, and then switch to defensive play?

Yeah, generally allies need to move forward, establish some lines of battle, force the French back, and threaten to take a blue star. At that point, either they bring on reinforcements, or they don't and we take a star and hold it. I've mostly had games end through morale, but had a couple last turn objective victory or suicide-because-otherwise-french-loses.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Austrian generals, by the way, are Kollowrath, Liechtenstein and Klenmayer. I have added silvergoose as the Commander in Chief, please make resolutions on command chain AND allocation of corps!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Awright, lemme take a look at the map and I'll get those to you by, oh, tomorrow or so? What timeframe are you looking at for getting turn 1 started, i.e. when do you want the actual unit locations set?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Setup can take some time, so ideally I'd like setup done by Friday so the frenchies have the weekend to do their setup and we can get started on turn one next monday. Sooner the better though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Setup can take some time, so ideally I'd like setup done by Friday so the frenchies have the weekend to do their setup and we can get started on turn one next monday. Sooner the better though.

Kay, I'll try to have corp allocations and command done today and then unit setup by thursday, I'm seeing family on Friday and the weekend so availability will be a bit limited.

Now's a great time, by the way, for anyone who cares which side of the map they're on to let me know, because yeah.

My *general* thought is that the left is going to have some solid units but pretty small corps and just plan to stop any potential french advances in their tracks, and probably be pretty low on the command structure; this is a little unfair, but we can't have equal strength all across the line! So if anyone wants or does not want that side, make sure to let me know.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Please also note that the Austrian commander will have command all over the fields since the austrian corps aren't clumped together. Should be interesting in terms of relying orders though, and maybe it will add a bit of realism as well :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Please also note that the Austrian commander will have command all over the fields since the austrian corps aren't clumped together. Should be interesting in terms of relying orders though, and maybe it will add a bit of realism as well :v:

You're just trying to make this harder on me, aren't you. ;)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If our general plan is to just hold the left and advance on the right, is it worth pointing out one or two specific blue stars we should aim for, or is that more something that needs to be decided a bit down the line via orders?

On the other hand it looks like the main french army is on our right so maybe that isn't the best place to attack.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I more plan to advance in the center, send cavalry out to the right, and hold on the left; obviously plans will change as soon as we meet the enemy. Goal #1: don't let French cavalry get behind us. Goal #2: don't stop advancing. Goal #3: smash the French.

I do like having a strong corp move up the main road immediately, though, to make it so they can't advance and cut us off.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In that case I think I would prefer to have units on the left hand side. From what I can tell the infantry and artillery are the more defensive units, is that accurate?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aston posted:

In that case I think I would prefer to have units on the left hand side. From what I can tell the infantry and artillery are the more defensive units, is that accurate?

Somewhat. You need cavalry to scout, feint, and sometimes smash through, artillery is fabulous on defense, but really infantry is used everywhere cause there's so much of it. And I love using artillery on offense, actually; move a corp up as if to defend it, then attack through with an artillery barrage first. Requires some deception though, or to have them feint and let you move up.

I rarely put more than one battery on the left, but yeah, it's probably going to be mostly infantry and a battery. Maybe a cav unit or two so if there's an opening, you can sneak a unit through to start harassing them from behind.

Hmm interesting, the Austrians are mostly to the left but hmmm. Still pondering!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh thank god, I found this. This looks a lot easier to wrap my head around!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morholt/Aston, please let me know which position in the chain you want to be in.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Erm second I guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

All right, the corp allocations (not by person, but dividing them) will be:

3 corps, Austrian, Kienmeyer Liechtenstein Kollowrath, designated as "Back line", code name "Left side best side"
2 corps, Russian, Bagration Constantine, designated as "Right flank", code name "Get around them"
2 corps, Russian, Dokhtorov Langeron, designated as "Front line left", code name "Smash the French"
2 corps, Russian, Miloradovich Prebyshevsky, designated as "Front line right", code name "You also smash the French"

Anyone have strong preferences? So the Austrians will most likely play a defensive role, shifting as needed, preventing any sort of French advances on our left. Right flank will definitely have a full cavalry corp, try to get around them, and the other corp will have strong units to stop the French from advancing too much along the main road (I anticipate at the start, sending Bagration to the right and Constantine straight up the main road, as a note). Front line left will advance and probably have a battery or two, and front line right will advance and also have a battery or two. Guard infantry placement I have not had much thought on.

Thoughts, people! We have a French general to embarrass!

(by the way, a very important note for both front line groups, though it's true for everyone: the roads do *not* go where you want them to, ever. Oh, you wanted to get to *that* locale? Sorry bub, takes you two turns to get there, from wherever you happen to be, guaranteed.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Let's keepin things simple for me, I guess. I'll take Front Line Left or Right, at anyone else's option.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kay, I'm gonna start figuring out unit placements. Davin is getting Front Line Left, I'm going to take Right Flank because I want to make sure our cavalry has the chance to get around their line before anyone else uses orders (selfish, perhaps? I probably know how to use cavalry the most effectively, at least), Aston can have the Austrians on Back Line, and that leaves Morholt on Front Line Right!

Overall units are going to be: I get one artillery battery in a very mixed corp and a fully cav corp, Back Line is getting mostly middle infantry (I find it very hard to break through the left as Allies, so more defensive in nature), and Front Lines are getting lots of heavy strength and are expected to Smash The French.

Tek, I'll plan to have allocations ready by eod today, and will find it hard to check in over the weekend but I'll make sure to get in the thread at least once a day or so.

Anyone with objections can speak out now, please! I'll give some general orders and strategy discussion as well. Remember, once the game starts we don't get to actually talk anymore, so we gotta get all our talking done soon!

edit: Basically, the command structure is going to make it so that we take care of Important Business early in the turn, i.e. take care of our flanks if necessary, then what's left goes to the center for some french-smashing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Alright, preliminary assignments. I'm shortening units to NUMBERTYPE, with types being GI, I, C, A
Totals
GI: 3
I: 5, 19, 2
C: 2, 6, 3
A: 4

Right flank
Bagration gets: 3C, 3C, 2C, 2C, 1C
Constantine gets: 3I, 3I, 2I, 2I, 2C, A

Back line
Kienmayer gets: 3I, 2I, 2I, 2I
Lichtenstein gets: 2I, 2I, 2I, 2C
Kollowrath gets: 2I, 2I, 2I, 2C

Front line left
Dokhtorov gets: 3I, 2I, 2I, 2I, 1C
Langeron gets: 3GI, 2C, 2I, 1I, A, A

Front line right
Miloradovich gets: 2C, 1C, 3I, 2I, 2I
Prebyshevsky gets: 3GI, 3GI, 2I, 2I, A

I think that's the right numbers of units. Anyone have any thoughts? About where things go, where people go, strategy, anything. If nothing is heard before, oh, tomorrow night, Tek let's assume we're going with this.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So the plan for me is to have Langeron be the advancer (with its guard infantry and artillery) and Dokhtorov as the defender (with lots of infantry)?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 24, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

So the plan for me is to have Langeron be the advancer (with its guard infantry and artillery) and Dokhtorov as the defender (with lots of infantry)?

Guard infantry is best held in reserve, actually; Langeron should advance, but so should Dokhtorov. Maneuver so that you can bring the guns to bear (i.e., you want to get Langeron into an approach, "defending" against some French move) and then smash the French!

Dokhtorov, with tons of infantry, can move forward, try to flank, send small divisions forward to test their strength, that sort of thing.

Remember, artillery can *only* fire if they are already in the approach, and making a Guard Attack is extremely risky, so generally do it over a wide approach and after you're sure they're out of 3-strength units in that locale. Ideally when the enemy is in the reserve, too, since infantry get a penalty if the enemy is in the approach.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, last warning: gonna show the dispositions to the french if no more objections are raised.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I agree with the disposition.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Here are the dispositions as shown to the Frenchies:

Will provide your own map showing you the actual units soonish.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just noticed: you have an extra 2C and one 1I less :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Just noticed: you have an extra 2C and one 1I less :v:

Hah, it's true. I triple checked it and still missed one.

Okay, lemme think. Reduce one of Constantine's 2I to 1I, and change Lichtenstein's 2C to the 2I. Sorry about that.

• Locked thread