Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't think it's a sure thing at all with an enemy unit in the approach. That turns your 3 strength attack into a 2 strength, yes? :ohdear:

Essentially. If the defender is a 2 or 1 strength unit, we're great. If it's a 3 strength, we're boned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

silvergoose posted:

Essentially. If the defender is a 2 or 1 strength unit, we're great. If it's a 3 strength, we're boned.

Really boned, since that's the middle of the line. Hey, can you at least feint with some other unit and see if that unit in the approach is 3 strength? I would rather stay as "biggest screwup on the Allied side".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Really boned, since that's the middle of the line. Hey, can you at least feint with some other unit and see if that unit in the approach is 3 strength? I would rather stay as "biggest screwup on the Allied side".

Hard to do; feinting doesn't give you any information about what it is, and once you've made one attack over an approach, feint or not, you can't make another this turn. You probably mean "send a 2 strength infantry in to get eaten". ;)

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I could have, but I think at this point it would be going against the spirit of limited communication.

I'm definitely hesitant about this, I don't want to ruin a game that other people put lots of time into. At the same time I think you just have to go for a decisive move sometimes so I'm sticking with my orders.

Edit: I think I could have used an artillery to scout, if I had moved it up first? Only then the approach might have been reinforced.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Morholt posted:

I could have, but I think at this point it would be going against the spirit of limited communication.

I'm definitely hesitant about this, I don't want to ruin a game that other people put lots of time into. At the same time I think you just have to go for a decisive move sometimes so I'm sticking with my orders.

Edit: I think I could have used an artillery to scout, if I had moved it up first? Only then the approach might have been reinforced.

Yeah, you can use artillery to "scout" but really then you'd just auto win. Getting artillery in place is the hardest (imo) thing to do properly in the game!

And I agree, you committed, we're just table talking about how the game goes, not about what you should do. It won't ruin everything, not more than the corp on the flank. Just go for it! Learn!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Yeah, getting Dokhtorov shot up was a big rules learning experience for me. Now I know what to do next. Better or worse, this will be the same thing; we'll either press an attack or salvage what we can.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah this goes slightly beyond the limits of limited communication, but no worries. I'd love to get convos here in the threads and they are fine as long as they are post-decision and don't impact future orders, but if it wasn't for the limited communication rule the game would basically be two hive-minds playing each other.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

French Defence Declaration

Gutter Owl
  • 3 Infantry revealed on the approach

Action Queue:
-- Morholt: Attack Declaration.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Gutter Owl
  • 3 Infantry revealed on the approach

Bom bom BOM!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Woopsy!!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

rip

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

gently caress

unit move, one guard attacks

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can either use the independent move to detach or a corps move to detach, which one is it?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

The independent move

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Combat Resolution

Attack Leading Unit

3 Guard

Defence Leading Unit

3 Infantry on Approach

Defence Wins on a -1

Allied Casualties: 3 Guard goes down to 1 Infantry, 2 Morale Lost and 3 Additional Morale for Failed Guard Attack! Unit becomes detached.
French Casualties: 3 Infantry goes down to 2 Infantry

Allied Morale:
French Morale: 21

Updated Map:

Commands Left: 2 Corps

Action Queue:
-- Morholt: Any Further Moves/ Davin Valkri: Perform Actions

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

No further moves.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Wait, how come Prebyshevsky doesn't have to retreat? Is it because he unit attacked instead of corps attacked? Or is the attacker disrupted instead of retreating if they lose?

Anyways, Dokhtorov to the 132-134 approach, Langeron threatens 94-93.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, how come Prebyshevsky doesn't have to retreat? Is it because he unit attacked instead of corps attacked?

Anyways, Dokhtorov to the 132-134 approach, Langeron threatens 94-93.

While you're actually correct that the only thing that can now threaten over 94-93 is Langeron, because all the unit moves are taken up for the turn, generally you want to just identify the border you're threatening over, they don't get to know what is attacking till the actual attack order is required.

The answer to your question is, if it is a corp move (as opposed to a corp detach move or a unit move), the attacking corp is shattered (and returns to the reserve of its locale) upon defeat. If it's a detach move or a unit move (it was a unit move) only the attacking pieces have that happen. Regardless, the attacker *never* has to retreat, only has to return to the reserve of the attacking locale.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

EDIT: Wait, that's probably a limited communication violation.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 16, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

EDIT: Wait, that's probably a limited communication violation.

Your face is a limited communication violation. No, wait, your corp is.

edit: I'm a great commanding general. Good for morale.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gutter Owl
  • Shows 2 Cavalry and retreats to 92

Action Queue:
-- Davin Valkri: Attack Declaration/Movement

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

They're retreating? Well, 93 looks a bit more defensible than 94. Especially since I'm free to use my guard infantry now.

Langeron advances to 93.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Updated Map:

French Turn, 9:00 AM

Action Queue:
-- Allied Team: Run Around Screaming "The Guard has fallen, the Guard has fallen"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The Guard has fallen, the Guard has fallen! :supaburn:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

French Movement

Gutter Owl
  • Unit in 92 Reserve moves to 92 -> 93 approach
  • Unit in 103 -> 102
  • St. Hilaire (2 Units) moves to 72 -> 83 approach (set apart)

Updated Map:

frankenfreak
  • Attack Threat 82 -> 83

Action Queue:
-- Morholt: Defence Declaration

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Detached cav defends, moves to approach afterwards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

French Attack Declaration

frankenfreak
  • Road Feint using Vandamme Corps (1 Unit), revealed as 3 Cavalry, moves to 82 Reserve

Updated Map:

Allied Morale: 16
French Morale 21

French Commands Left: 2 Independent

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

French Movement

Tevery Best
  • Attack Threat 119 -> 135

Action Queue:
-- Aston: Defence Declaration

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I3 and two of the I2s are defending units.

I so hope I've read these rules correctly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

French Feint Option

Tevery Best
  • It's a feint

Action Queue:
-- Aston: Place at least one unit on approach.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I2

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Updated Map:

Allied Morale: 16
French Morale 21

French Commands Left: 1 Independent

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

My unit should be on approach, no?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Have the french retired from the field? Is victory ours?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nope, not yet.

French Movement

Fat Turkey
  • Attack Threat 54 -> 64

Action Queue:
-- silvergoose: Defence Declaration

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No units, 2 cav retreats to 65

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

French Attack Declaration

It was the battery on the Santon, so it does not need to move to the attack locale.

French Commands Left: 0 Independent Commands.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Now, question before I begin my turn, about the Santon. If I do a feint onto the Santon with a unit, it must be named as a defensive unit and thus be ineligible for future defense declarations, correct? Which is to say, two road cav moves can eliminate it.

Is that right, or is that completely incorrect and I have to find a different way to dislodge it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You are correct: it can only defend from one side during a single turn. Are you allowed to feint on obstructions? I'm guessing so, since it only says that cavalry can't lead/counterattack on obstructions.

EDIT: Also, it is still the French Turn, since they still have Corps moves left.

• Locked thread