Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
We all know the simple structure of a good story, a plot and a subplot. All the best stories ever told rest on that skeleton. The A stories are the myths and legends, the ones that supersede culture. The B stories are what entertain us while we learn. But as we saw with EC Comics, with Jim Thompson novels, with Poverty Row cinema, sometimes these B-stories of our time's media are artifacts of beauty.

When's the first time you ever remember hearing of Pottery Barn? If you're like a huge swathe of America and surrounding markets, you'll say it was an episode of Friends. If you're not at all like most, you can possibly even name the episode (Season 6, Episode 11, aired January 6 2000) and that the title is properly "The One With the Apothecary Table" and not "The One With Pottery Barn." Every one of them, though, can give you a brief synopsis of the plot: Rachel buys a table from Pottery Barn, lies to Phoebe that it's a real antique, Phoebe loves it until she finds out it's Pottery Barn. That's what everyone remembers about that episode, and that's a shame because the B-story was at least as good, or better.

The character of Janine came along late in the series when it had already become airless. She was played by bonafide supermodel Elle McPherson as the ultimate in unobtainable fantasy, the soft Poictesme of Joey's prayers, the melting Oz of his oblations. In this episode, she finally agrees to a date with Joey; a double-date with Monica and Chandler.

As a setup, it's straight out of Moliere. The jokes fly thick and fast, but each one has a sting in the tail. If you read the bare script, the words before the sugaring of studio laughter, they are pure and brutal commedia dell'arte, with an occasional side trip to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

quote:

Monica: Joey! Why is Janine not coming over for dinner?!

Joey: Well uh, she didn’t want to hang out with you guys two nights in a row. I’m so sorry.

Chandler: Well, why does she not want to hang out with us?!

Joey: Because she uh, she-she thinks that you are blah and that you, Monica, are too loud.

Monica: (loudly) What?!! (Quietly) What?

Chandler: So she was just pretending to have a good time last night? She was lying to our faces?!

Monica: Ugh, I can not believe this! I mean, who is she to judge us? We could not have been nicer to her!

Chandler: And I am not blah, I am a hoot!

Joey: I know! I know! Come on, please-please you guys, don’t-don’t be mad. I’m sure she just, she just said that stuff because she was nervous and you guys are like my best friends! Y’know? And it was our first date! Plus, she’s really sick!

Chandler: No, you sh—No you said you made that up!!

Joey: I know, but don’t you think the sick thing is way better than the play thing?

Chandler: Eh, they’re both good. I generally just go with, Monica’s drunk again. (Monica glares at him.)

Joey: Come on you guys, come on please-please just give her another chance, huh? She’ll come around I promise.

Monica: Of course we will, come on we gotta make dinner.

Chandler: Okay.

(They exit and close the door.)

Monica: (from the hallway) I do not like that woman!

Joey: (shouting) I can hear you!

Monica: I am loud!

quote:

Joey: So uh, what are you guys doing?

Chandler: Oh nothing, we’re just talking. Y’know, blah-blah-blah.

Joey: Look, come on you guys, you said you were gonna try! All right look, I came over here to invite you guys to a movie with me and Janine.

Monica: Well, I’d like to but, (extremely quietly) I’m not sure we have time to go.

Joey: Ha-ha, very funny—Look! I don’t know what to do! I really want you guys to get along. Just please come to the movie with us. I mean you owe me!

Monica: We owe you?!

Joey: That’s right! I helped you guys out a lot in the start of your relationship. Huh? I helped you guys sneak around for like six months, and I looked like an idiot! And I was humiliated. And I only made 200 dollars!

Monica: We didn’t give you any money! (Chandler is motioning, "No!")

Joey: You don’t think I know that!

It's all naked unpleasantness and aggression, a fascinating contrast to the A-story, which resolves peacefully when Phoebe covets a Pottery Barn lamp in a Manhattan store window. And that's what it's remembered for.

So, what are your favorite forgotten B-stories?

*Some interesting trivia: that episode is considered a masterpiece of product placement that is still driving sales. According to the CEO of Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn's parent company, "phones light up with catalog requests every time it airs" in syndication.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I always liked How I Met Your Mother's running gag of "What the gently caress does Barney actually do for a living" and then finally explaining it in a late episode.

Really, all of HIMYM is an exercise in B-plots and minor characters being way more interesting than Ted.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Happy Endings was another one like that. I never cared much about the Alex and Dave will they/won't they stuff and a show as self-aware as Happy Endings eventually blew that off effectively, but I always liked every other character and their shenanigans way better than Alex and Dave.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think sitcoms that have boring leads tend to do much better with their B-Plots. There's a bunch of Marshall/Lilly (Before they got to be insufferable) stuff from early HIMYM that's a lot better than whatever Ted is doing.

Same goes for New Girl, and Happy Endings.

I think it's because the A Plots tend to get the emotional lesson at the end, usually with a speech of some sort. B-Plots are usually just comedy focussed and just have to worry about being funny. To that end, are there any subplots in dramas that are generally better than whatever the main plot is?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
The sitcom structure led to some really weird inversions of that principle, like Hogan's Heroes. There the A plot is just a loose assemblage of gags around whatever's the theme of the episode, while the B plot, consistently, is about escaping from a loving Nazi POW camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like MTV Dramas for Teens that I enjoy, almost across the board, are really good at B plots. The one that springs to mind is Sadie's life in Awkward. Jenna's stuff is good enough, but Sadie is really complex for Bully Character.

• Locked thread