Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

on? Who's calling these the game of the year and what are their credentials? And multiple ones come out in the same year, so they can't all be the game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
It's called Game of the Year Edition because it's the Game of the Year. Durr.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Bribed reviews said so.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it just means that someone, somewhere, could have theoretically said that it was a game of the year.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr Tastee posted:

on? Who's calling these the game of the year and what are their credentials? And multiple ones come out in the same year, so they can't all be the game of the year.

There are actually multiple people in existence, OP, and they don't all have to pick the same Game Of The Year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my game of the year every year is shadow hearts for the ps2

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

mr tastee: whos releasing all these game of the year editions. there can only be one....who are the people that are naming these games game of the year?? WHAT ARE THEIR CREDENTIALS....THEY CANT ALL BE GAME OF THE YEAR...duyrr...hurrr....you gotta believe me...somethigns going on

nurse: as you can see little anthony never quite recovered from the brain aneurysm he had while playing cod 4 GOTY edition
me:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Budget Cop posted:

mr tastee: whos releasing all these game of the year editions. there can only be one....who are the people that are naming these games game of the year?? WHAT ARE THEIR CREDENTIALS....THEY CANT ALL BE GAME OF THE YEAR...duyrr...hurrr....you gotta believe me...somethigns going on

nurse: as you can see little anthony never quite recovered from the brain aneurysm he had while playing cod 4 GOTY edition
me:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
it's A game of the year, not THE game of the year. chill out they're just telling you what year it came out so you can organise your gamer shelf by release date

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Op won Gay of the year. Ha ha ha.

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context
I remember when Dead Island got a Game of the Year Edition.

Dead Island.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

yeah

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

What was the first Game of the Year Edition?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
there's like, rpg goty, fps goty, adventure goty, sports goty... the list goes on, op

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

there's like, rpg goty, fps goty, adventure goty, sports goty... the list goes on, op

cant an rpg be a better rpg than a fps is an fps

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
it's actually a mistake, it was originally saying that it had been a game For a year but someone spelt it wrong on the oblivion box and everyone copied that

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Machai posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Machai posted:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Machai posted:

Probably Half-Life or some other PC game around that time. First one I remember seeing anyway.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Every game is technically a game of the year it came out, so you can slap it on anything. It basically means "This version has all the poo poo we released for it after we made the initial version" nowadays, but people think GOTY is more impressive than Complete or Ultimate or some poo poo.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
I think they're hoping someone will see GOTY on a game they've never heard of and say "oh poo poo that game got game of the year, it must be good I'll buy it". You know there have to be people who have made their decisions this way.

Not really false advertising, they're only saying it was A game of the year, not the BEST game of the year.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

OkieMurse posted:

I think they're hoping someone will see GOTY on a game they've never heard of and say "oh poo poo that game got game of the year, it must be good I'll buy it". You know there have to be people who have made their decisions this way.

Not really false advertising, they're only saying it was A game of the year, not the BEST game of the year.

Advertising @ moms and retards

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Low information gamers are gamers are the white trash of gamers. The industry wouldn't be what it is without them but if it was better nobody at Activision or ubisoft would have a job

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Pewdiepie posted:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

I've never been so proud of this title. I'd like to thank my mom and Doritos N' Dew Flavored Gamer LubeTM.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

What I'm saying is every leading game developer of every game to come out this year should get in a fist fight to determine who wins the title of Game Of The Year.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I can't believe we have OPs this gay in GOTY 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

A review you can trust imo

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Fellis posted:

I can't believe we have OPs this gay in GOTY 2014

can we change TYOOL to this asap

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

OkieMurse posted:

This game came out during a year

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

cause it sounds good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Budget Cop posted:

me:

rofl

• Locked thread