Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This is the most enduring image of Alistair Overeem.

No, it's not him knocking out Badr Hari, it's not him licking his lips at the thought of horse meat, it's an image that repeats itself throughout Overeem's fighting career - knocked the gently caress out. And yet Overeem remains one of the highest paid athletes in the UFC and despite being a complete dud as a title contender people still care about him.

There was a period from maybe 2009-2011 where we really believed that Overeem was the next big thing. We watched his online documentary, followed his exploits in kickboxing and MMA and eagerly wondered how he would perform against heavyweight greats such as Brock Lesnar and Fedor Emelianenko. This was before he lost a series of increasingly funny fights, before we understood what a lovely training partner he was, before he roamed aimlessly from gym to gym looking for that missing ingredient that would send him on a title run.

I want to go back to that time, when winning an ADCC European qualifier was an important fact, when beating up Brett Rogers was considered a dominant performance, when the specter of his hilarious light-heavyweight losses was blamed on him being just too big for 205.

"You Truly Can't Stand Up Until You Fall"
-A Russian Wizard

It was really hard to decided where to really start off with Overeem's career, because so much of it is loving funny. So instead of wading through random fights he had in RINGS or beating up some nobodies in Pride, let's go back to a time when Overeem was poised to make a big splash in the MMA world, participating in perhaps the most important light-heavyweight tournament ever.

http://www.ufc.tv/video/chuck-liddell-vs-alistair-overeem-pride-total-elimination-2003

I'm not sure who Overeem pissed off to draw Chuck Liddell in the first round of the Pride 2003 MWGP. Maybe in 2003 people didn't realize that Chuck Liddell was kind of good. Maybe they were betting on Overeem to murdalize Chuck with his Dutch Drugged Kickboxing. Maybe they saw his loss to Randy as a sign that he was on the downside of his career. But...we kind of know how these things go for Alistair, when he's supposed to crush a fighter only to lose in a really funny way. I haven't been an MMA fan for as long as some of you guys, so how did people kind of think this fight was going to play out back then? I mean when it comes to quality of competition Chuck had already fought and beaten a bunch of guys who were better than Overeem at this point.

As for the fight itself, Overeem doesn't do too bad initially. He lands some great knees and hurts Chuck with a punch that lands flush on his chin. Despite being caught in a scramble that sees Chuck launch a bunch of ground knees, he manages to defend and get back up and start landing his own knees again. But he starts lingering in the pocket while exchanging with Chuck and gasses. Then comes the BRH and the end of the fight, ushering in perhaps the most lackluster run of his fighting career*

(*only because at least he's getting paid to get murdered by Ben Rothwell)

I don't have many goals in life, but by god one of them is to laugh at fighters losing in funny ways and Overeem delivers in strange and surprising ways. This thread is a celebration of Overeem's perpetual misfortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Overeem was supposed to get squashed in the Chuck fight. He was a prospect at best by that point.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Yea I fully support this thread but in the long list of winnable fights that overeem lost chuck wasn't really one of them.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My favorite Alistair picture

the look on Herb Dean's face.

bonus as a kid:
https://knoxxgear.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/overeemyoung.jpg

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i'm really not sure he would beat fedor back in the time that fedor was ducking him

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1EGoM9LbU4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i'm really not sure he would beat fedor back in the time that fedor was ducking him

I don't think he would have beaten Fedor when Fedor was losing to people.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Fedor probably would have knocked him out

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

I will never stop laughing at 'leave me alone brother, ive never seen you before' as fat Sergei clocks Overeem in the back of the head.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Overeem was supposed to get squashed in the Chuck fight. He was a prospect at best by that point.

I don't think he was meant to get squashed, but I don't doubt that pride wanted to protect Wanderlei and possibly Quinton. Kind of funny too because Dana and Chuck apparently game planned for Chuck to keep the gently caress out of Rampage's range and work lots of kicks to the legs only for him not to bother and get knocked out.

Overeem always struck me as a guy more in love with being a "pro fighter" or "athlete" than actually fighting. Guys like Chuck to stick with the middleweight GP relished the competition, I think overeem likes the idea of not having to do a day job rather than being driven. Realistically he's had to work hard, but I don't think he's ever truly pushed himself on the level of guys like GSP or Weidman.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I don't think he was meant to get squashed, but I don't doubt that pride wanted to protect Wanderlei and possibly Quinton. Kind of funny too because Dana and Chuck apparently game planned for Chuck to keep the gently caress out of Rampage's range and work lots of kicks to the legs only for him not to bother and get knocked out.

Not so much "not to bother" as "to fight with a torn hamstring"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I didn't remember that from his book. He was crazy that way. Fought Randy with a torn knee too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How can you talk about that BRH but not post a gif of it?
It was a god-drat beautiful punch.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Somebody post that Gif of him and the no weapons sign.

I am an unabashed Reem fan and never miss watching the man fight. Always good for some excitement.

My favorite Reem moment was either him almost flying out of the cage attempting a knee in DREAM, or the time he kneed brock in his dick sword and the sound brock made after

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 20, 2014

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

I thought it was a quad, but Dana fuming on commentary about Chuck not following the gameplan is funny as hell

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
I like Overeem because he has the physique and accent of a world class champion (GSP, Silva, Aldo) and makes Arianny and Joe Rogan go crazy when he weighs in. It makes me sad he insists on getting knocked out by flabby, balding mechanics and plumbers. He's the HW champion we want but not the one we deserve.

Someone post a picture diary cataloging the rise and fall of his T levels. I remember the fight right after he got busted, the right side of his body was visibly smaller than the left. It was like someone hadn't finished letting all the air out of a camping mattress.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Alistair Overeem is a true artist. A man who can show us the the highest highest and lowest lows, who brings out in us the full range of human emotion. Mostly he bring me happiness

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hi.

I was a big Overeem fan. I was pretty excited when he won the K-1 WGP (I wanted Gita to win more but alas). I was the only one of my friends happy with the outcome of the Brock fight. I knew the Strikeforce fights never meant much of anything.

When he first lost to Bigfoot I thought "He fought with his hands down by his hips. He didn't respect Bigfoot at all. Any big dude can knock another big dude out. Overeem was being stupid".

When he fought Browne I said "Wow, that sucks. What a strange coincidence".

When he fought Rothwell I said "There's no way Ben loving Rothwell leaves the cage alive".

I'm mostly just sad it took me three fights to come to reality.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I like Overeem and it's depressing when he gets knocked out in every fight he should win easily

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I wasn't watching MMA back in the Pride days and I never got into Strikeforce while it existed, but Overeem came and destroyed Brock Lesnar. That fact keeps getting more and more hilarious the longer he continues to lose to Big Ben Rothwell and fail to finish Frank Mir. So despite being overrated and terrible, Alistair Overeem has my thanks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

I wasn't watching MMA back in the Pride days and I never got into Strikeforce while it existed, but Overeem came and destroyed Brock Lesnar. That fact keeps getting more and more hilarious the longer he continues to lose to Big Ben Rothwell and fail to finish Frank Mir. So despite being overrated and terrible, Alistair Overeem has my thanks.

Yeah but Brock Lesnar is like a putty insofar as he has a clearly marked weak spot on his torso that causes him to disapparate back to lord zedd's castle.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

gimpsuitjones posted:

I like Overeem and it's depressing when he gets knocked out in every fight he should win easily

Change depressing to hilarious and you get my opinion on the Reem. I always get excited for him fighting because I will get to see either a knee-induced death or a Dutchman with a paper mache chin crumble despite everything going his way.

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-paRIf5hWys

1:38

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That would actually have been interesting, just like Fedor vs Couture, Fedor vs Mir, Fedor vs Lesnar, Fedor vs Barnett, or Fedor vs any top heavyweight between 2006 and 2010.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If Overeem could've taken Fedor down early maybe he could've gotten a stoppage. But looking at his performances in his last few fights it's hard not to imagine him getting murdered by a casting overhand right.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Then again if he clinched with Fedor he might have cracked his skull in twain. Thus is Alistair.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

If Overeem could've taken Fedor down early maybe he could've gotten a stoppage. But looking at his performances in his last few fights it's hard not to imagine him getting murdered by a casting overhand right.

Fedor was still a dangerous dude even in his decline, but Overeem would have been his most roided final form if he ever had the chance to fight Fedor so I think he could have won by stoppage.

I wonder if Alistair could do it all over again if he would have gone on TRT before everybody else.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

Fedor was still a dangerous dude even in his decline, but Overeem would have been his most roided final form if he ever had the chance to fight Fedor so I think he could have won by stoppage.

I wonder if Alistair could do it all over again if he would have gone on TRT before everybody else.

This all true but the point your missing is that Overeem is bad, was bad, and always will be bad.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I still want to see Alistair vs semmy schilt.

Once he is kicked out the UFC, maybe I will get my wish.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think that Strikeforce Overeem would beat Fedor, honestly. He seemed to give powerful punches a little respect at that point and might have actually moved around to avoid the baseball punch. Current Overeem? Too arrogant, would be kod inside a round.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I still want to see Alistair vs semmy schilt.

Once he is kicked out the UFC, maybe I will get my wish.

semmy schilt isn't allowed to fight anymore. i think he has a heart condition, which is really funny because struve really is the shittier schilt in all respects (all props for joke "semi-schilt"). also, despite being severely retired glory still rank him as #2 in the world

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think that Strikeforce Overeem would beat Fedor, honestly. He seemed to give powerful punches a little respect at that point and might have actually moved around to avoid the baseball punch. Current Overeem? Too arrogant, would be kod inside a round.

Overeem has never been especially mobile and his defense entirely consisted of covering up and hoping to god the other person gassed before running out of punches or finding his chin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIYoAG9MZ0&t=265s

Although in this fight I guess he ducked a bunch because K1 had weird rules about knees, but once he got cracked Overeem just didn't have anything resembling intelligent defense.

I'm still kind of sifting through his Pride fights so maybe he fought differently at 205.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Overeem is the living embodiment of heavyweight mma. Endlessly entertaining

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
wtf, this video is 3.5 years old?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDT1r55vwjM

Imo, the height of Overeem's "he's got potential" days was Overeem x Shogun 1. For those first 2 minutes, he really took it to Shogun and made a hell of a fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There was no strikeforce overeem. He's been the same guy the entire time. He was the definition of a can crusher but everyone ignored it because he was jacked.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Overeem has never been especially mobile and his defense entirely consisted of covering up and hoping to god the other person gassed before running out of punches or finding his chin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIYoAG9MZ0&t=265s

Although in this fight I guess he ducked a bunch because K1 had weird rules about knees, but once he got cracked Overeem just didn't have anything resembling intelligent defense.

I'm still kind of sifting through his Pride fights so maybe he fought differently at 205.

Canfight, but look at his fight with Brett Rodgers. He at least made an effort to move around and get out of the way in addition to shelling up. Modern Overeem just plods forward with his hands down because he doesn't respect his opponent's striking and in his dumb Dutch brain this somehow means he himself doesn't need to employ any type of striking skill to win.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I applaud Overeem for doing his best to build his body to look as Mark Kerr-esque as possible

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The agony, the ecstasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Could someone please post a gif of this man being slain by an ogre

• Locked thread