Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Also in Dota 2 you can literally win vs a team of pros 50% of the time if you just pick like Ogre Magi/Lonesome Druid/Faceless Void/Phantasm Assassin and stuff and stand on top of hills and let the random dicerolls do their thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

A Stupid Baby posted:

Also in Dota 2 you can literally win vs a team of pros 50% of the time if you just pick like Ogre Magi/Lonesome Druid/Faceless Void/Phantasm Assassin and stuff and stand on top of hills and let the random dicerolls do their thing
Can you show the thread some examples of this literally happening.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A Stupid Baby posted:

PRNG manipulation is a skill.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

A Stupid Baby posted:

Nah

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
You can try it out yourself just create a Dota game and try to attack something uphill youll miss like 50% of the time lmao.

Dont think Im letting League off or anything like that you can literally pay real money for skins that give you combat stats in the game. Imagine if Dota let you pay 10 cents to buy additional tree branches at the start of every game, Gaben wouuld get so fat that the earth would implode from gravity singularity and poo poo

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Hmm I can pay over $400 or spend hundreds of hours to have all runes and champs or I could have all hero's and all content that doesn't effect gameplay at all ever for free in my or anyone elses first game of dota

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

A Stupid Baby posted:

You can try it out yourself just create a Dota game and try to attack something uphill youll miss like 50% of the time lmao.

Dont think Im letting League off or anything like that you can literally pay real money for skins that give you combat stats in the game. Imagine if Dota let you pay 10 cents to buy additional tree branches at the start of every game, Gaben wouuld get so fat that the earth would implode from gravity singularity and poo poo

So you tried to make the elevation mechanic sound dumb and broken but really you're just complaining about the elevation mechanic existing ok

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A Stupid Baby posted:

This is also true of noted no skill horrible game Starcraft: Brood War.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Look I'm not saying there's anything wrong with games of chance, that's why Monopoly is such a popular game, gives everyone in the family a chance to win no matter the skill level

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how the gently caress do you post 340 times a day

you post as much per day as you weight jesus christ

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

A Stupid Baby posted:

also Sacraboar was pretty good and Super Monday Night Combat could have been good if the creeps didnt die so fast

Literally impossible for SMNC to ever be good.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

A Stupid Baby posted:

Look I'm not saying there's anything wrong with games of chance, that's why Monopoly is such a popular game, gives everyone in the family a chance to win no matter the skill level

Monopoly causes domestic violence.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mans posted:

how the gently caress do you post 340 times a day

you post as much per day as you weight jesus christ

Having my post count changed by an admin is the gift that keeps on giving because it's a great honeypot for unfunny fucks like you to use such classic comedy as "haha they're fat".

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Wait are people posting in this thread unironically?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best part is Widestancer is actually really good looking and hot and still managed to post 340 times a day

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Studio's favorite moba is loving Roundabout

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

playing lol is like living in north korea

playing dota is like living in somalia

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Studio posted:

If you were a big name LoL caster you would know that people would defend the pricing model unironicaly to the death

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Studio posted:

I hope so.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Studio posted:

stringball posted:

If you were a big name LoL caster you would know that people would defend the pricing model unironicaly to the death

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

the best part is Widestancer is actually really good looking and hot and still managed to post 340 times a day

Congrats on your marriage.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
I play alot of league, but it broke me, and now whenevr I play DotA 2 I'm horrible at it, but they're both great games, Good Luck and Have Fun peace goons! :angel:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Adventure Time has the best ARTS

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What makes a good Moba?

Is the TF2 ish Hat system of Dota any better or worse than Riot's model? Why or why not?

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Bloodline Champions was the best MOBA too bad

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
the best moba is that dead island moba

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

pre:
████████▄     ▄████████    ▄████████    ▄████████ ███▄▄▄▄      ▄████████    ▄████████  
███   ▀███   ███    ███   ███    ███   ███    ███ ███▀▀▀██▄   ███    ███   ███    ███  
███    ███   ███    █▀    ███    █▀    ███    █▀  ███   ███   ███    █▀    ███    █▀   
███    ███  ▄███▄▄▄      ▄███▄▄▄      ▄███▄▄▄     ███   ███   ███         ▄███▄▄▄      
███    ███ ▀▀███▀▀▀     ▀▀███▀▀▀     ▀▀███▀▀▀     ███   ███ ▀███████████ ▀▀███▀▀▀      
███    ███   ███    █▄    ███          ███    █▄  ███   ███          ███   ███    █▄   
███   ▄███   ███    ███   ███          ███    ███ ███   ███    ▄█    ███   ███    ███  
████████▀    ██████████   ███          ██████████  ▀█   █▀   ▄████████▀    ██████████  

▄██████▄     ▄████████          ███        ▄█    █▄       ▄████████                   
███    ███   ███    ███      ▀█████████▄   ███    ███     ███    ███                   
███    ███   ███    █▀          ▀███▀▀██   ███    ███     ███    █▀                    
███    ███  ▄███▄▄▄              ███   ▀  ▄███▄▄▄▄███▄▄  ▄███▄▄▄                       
███    ███ ▀▀███▀▀▀              ███     ▀▀███▀▀▀▀███▀  ▀▀███▀▀▀                       
███    ███   ███                 ███       ███    ███     ███    █▄                    
███    ███   ███                 ███       ███    ███     ███    ███                   
 ▀██████▀    ███                ▄████▀     ███    █▀      ██████████                   

▄████████ ███▄▄▄▄    ▄████████  ▄█     ▄████████ ███▄▄▄▄       ███        ▄████████ 
  ███    ███ ███▀▀▀██▄ ███    ███ ███    ███    ███ ███▀▀▀██▄ ▀█████████▄   ███    ███ 
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███    █▀  ███▌   ███    █▀  ███   ███    ▀███▀▀██   ███    █▀  
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███        ███▌  ▄███▄▄▄     ███   ███     ███   ▀   ███        
▀███████████ ███   ███ ███        ███▌ ▀▀███▀▀▀     ███   ███     ███     ▀███████████ 
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███    █▄  ███    ███    █▄  ███   ███     ███              ███ 
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███    ███ ███    ███    ███ ███   ███     ███        ▄█    ███ 
  ███    █▀   ▀█   █▀  ████████▀  █▀     ██████████  ▀█   █▀     ▄████▀    ▄████████▀  

i hope this turns out

nice font for real

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Observe Me posted:

Bloodline Champions was the best MOBA too bad

drat you I had only just stopped crying at the death of BLC. It was taken from us too soon.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

the best moba is that dead island moba

Don't you mean ZOMBA?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Tell me about Bloodline Champions. It's good to hear nice design features sometimes in a forum that can be very negative.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Widestancer posted:

What makes a good Moba?

Is the TF2 ish Hat system of Dota any better or worse than Riot's model? Why or why not?

Antimage

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What does this mean for someone who doesn't know the lingo?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

stringball posted:

Hell no, that would involve getting into a discussion of LoL's pricing model.

I meant more that "LoL & Dota: Which is Better?" seems like the ultimate honeypot thread.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Studio posted:

Hell no, that would involve getting into a discussion of LoL's pricing model.

I meant more that "LoL & Dota: Which is Better?" seems like the ultimate honeypot thread.

that's why this thread is about smite

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Widestancer posted:

What does this mean for someone who doesn't know the lingo?

https://soundcloud.com/gugey/antimage

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i enjoyed super monday night combat a lot and wish it had stuck around longer and gotten improved as a whole instead of the developer focusing on queue splitting and monetization

i also enjoy heroes of the storm since it is focused on fighting other players and short cooldowns and less technical stuff like last hitting or denying. but most importantly. xp is shared across your whole team. games where you are competing against your teammates and also the other team are not fun to me. competitive pve or competitive pvp but not both thanks

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Rotund Lord of Shit Mountain

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Widestancer posted:

What makes a good Moba?

This is a rather broad question, since it depends on what particular tastes you're catering to (such as DotA 2's more strategic focus versus the stronger tactical focus of League of Legends). My "ideal" MOBA would involve:

-Well thought out character roles/archetypes (tanks, supports, etc.) with enough flexibility to differentiate characters from eachother. You want to ensure that people have particular roles that they can gravitate towards depending on what they most enjoy doing in a team-based game. At the same time, you want to differentiate them enough so that there's clear advantages and disadvantages between being Tank A over Tank B.

-A simpler itemization system that's less focused on stat-stacking. While I'd prefer active item effects to be moved entirely into a Summoner Spell-esque system (like what Smite does), I'm not really enamored with items simply being big stat sticks that give you an even larger edge as the game goes on. Having customization of your character over time is important for the MOBA "experience," but I would prefer a method that adds more tactical consideration (along the lines of Banshee's Veil, for example) rather than just straight-up making you more damaging or harder to kill.

-A symmetric map with multiple objective types that cater to different strategies, such as splitpushing, sieging, teamfighting, late-game builds, etc.

-Shorter game times. I think League's average for this season is around 35-40 minutes, which makes it harder to dedicate a lot of time to. I'd prefer shorter games with the capability of going on longer, rather than longer games with the capability of being shorter, if that makes sense. The way in which League is currently designed makes this difficult, since so much is invested into the "laning phase" and making it meaningful that it easily tacks a good 10-odd minutes onto the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nanomashoes posted:

You better watch the gently caress out when you insult Gaben or he'll cut you.

He always looks so sad. DOTA has drained the life from him.

(either that or the pact with Satan Gaben made to make DOTA 2 popular)

• Locked thread