Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That seems really high for Dekker right now. He didn't shoot well last year, and he needs to shoot at an elite level to be worth a lottery pick. He supposedly had a great summer though so hopefully that bounces back.

Glad to see you won't let the Willie Cauley-Stein dream die. Go down with that ship, man. This draft is loaded with crazy raw but potentially exciting big dudes and Michael Kidd-Gilcrist like wings with great tools/effort but a low skill level.

The guy you didn't mention who I really like is Caris LaVert. He's a good athlete, has the size/length to play wing in the NBA, and has a great offensive skill set and nice jumper. It's possible he crumbles as Michigan's go-to guy, but I think he's going to have a breakout the way Stauskas did last year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Hezonja is known for shooting. Surprise. Towns and Myles Turner can both shoot. But the Sixers probably don't want another center, even if he can shoot.

They can shoot relatively well for their size which is not the same thing as being a good shooter. Every tall dude who hits a handful of threes gets overpraised for his shooting ability.

Anyway as for shooters from this class: Oubre, LaVert, RJ Hunter, Dekker maybe, Seldon maybe, Justin Jackson, Frank Kaminsky, Ron Baker or Fred VanFleet if you're into them...I dunno maybe some others I'm forgetting. It's definitely not a great class in that regard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

So what's the realistic projection for Okafor, and how pissed will I be if he goes to the Celtics or Lakers?

Bigger Al Jefferson is probably the most obvious comparison one can make based on his high school tape/rep, and one you will hear approximately 9 million times between now and draft day. We'll know more once he actually gets a few college games under his belt. He's not an out of this world athlete but seems ridiculously polished for someone that age.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 6, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dudes who were projected as NBA picks out of high school but wind up playing 4 years because they aren't good enough to leave early always feel like they were in school for 20 years. It felt like Patric Young started showing up in mock drafts in like 1995.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 8, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Man the college season is like three games old and no one here is going to tell you anything about a Euro player that you wouldn't get from googling the dude and looking at his draft express page.

So far Okafor looks pretty much as advertised. He's the most polished back to the basket offensive center prospect since....I dunno. It's been a long time. Maybe boogie but Okafor is farther along when it comes to footwork and stuff than Cousins was at this point. He's missed like 5 shots in three games because there is no one in college who can handle someone that big with that kind of skill level in the post. He has flaws (good but not otherworldly athlete, so so defender) but he's the early favorite for college player of the year and hasn't done anything to hurt his status as the top prospect.

Towns is huge and a really smooth looking athlete for his size, but he looks like most big guys who come into college being praised for their perimeter game. He'll show flashes but in general it's really raw right now. At the moment he's good at the things that most guys who are really long and athletic are good at: offensive rebounding and blocking shots. That said, it's early and he's not in a good position to showcase himself. UK is absurdly loaded with big guys, and they're doing a dumb hockey line change substitution pattern that makes it hard for anyone to stand out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Also why wouldn't the sixers draft Okafor. They could play Embiid, Noel, and Okafor all at 4 and 5 and give them all 32 mins a night.

They have terrible players everywhere so drafting nothing but centers isn't really ideal. And maybe they really like Mudiay, who is currently destroying china, whatever the gently caress that is supposed to mean.

I don't think playing Okafor at the 4 is a good idea defensively either.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

already has more post moves than half the centers starting in the NBA

The number is a lot higher than that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As long as one of them turns into one of the two best basketball players on earth it's a fool-proof plan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's always shown flashes, but by the time you get to year 3 you need to do a hell of a lot more than just look occasionally competent to be considered a major prospect. I think he can go somewhere in the back half of the first, but that's about it. The offense is never going to be there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Noel would be fine, but Okafor would be really bad defensively at the four and I'm not sure Embiid could do it either. Noel/Okafor would mess with the spacing on offense too, particularly since Philly hasn't shown much interest in adding players who can actually make jump shots around them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
this is the same okafor you were calling lovely like a month ago right

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If he continues to play well in China you can probably safely say that he isn't completely awful, but I don't know that it says much about his chances of being a star in the NBA given how many marginal or worse NBA players have had success there. If you're into intangibles it probably says something about his mental strength that he was able to adjust to such a huge change so quickly.

To be he's basically Exum. Big point guard prospect with intriguing tools, but still really rough around the edges and without much meaningful information to evaluate him from. He's a little bit more of known quantity, but it's not by much.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Why top wing prospects keep going to KU is beyond me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

Who produces the hardest to grade prospects now that Ben Howland is an unemployed man?

Boeheim, but that's been true for a long time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is a pretty strong adjective to use for Derrick Coleman.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jones has been okay so far (he's shooting poorly but he's a good distributer) but is generally regarded as a much better college prospect than a pro prospect because he's a kind of so-so athlete and shooter.

He and Okafor didn't play on the same high school or AAU team, but they were buddies from Team USA and various camps/tournaments. Everyone knows everyone in high level basketball these days.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Unless he plays like he did against Wisconsin regularly I'd be surprised if he's in this draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah basketball players are largely not built for pushups. Durant famously couldn't bench 180 when he was coming out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's just an ACL tear, it's not going to end his career. He was a big prospect out of high school, but he was super raw as a freshman and hasn't improved much skill wise. He might have been able to sneak into the end of the first if he'd left as a freshman when he was still thought to have a ton of potential, but his stock really tanked once he started playing college games. He's really athletic but he's ultimately a hustle power forward stuck in a small forwards body. Someone will probably give him a shot in the second round after next year, which is probably not much better than he was going to do anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Declan was right and I was wrong about Cauley-Stein.

I still don't like his offense very much, but with the way the league is going he can be a viable starting center for someone. He's an excellent pick and roll finisher, an elite shotblocker, and a very good per-minute rebounder. Plenty of guys right now are doing well in the league doing just that. He's going to be an early lottery pick.

Also I assume anyone attempting to scout Kentucky big guys comes away just absolutely hating the Harrison twins. Start Tyler Ulis!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 29, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the offense is so obviously better with Ulis running point, but they're so good it doesn't matter and they'll probably never have to address it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

roundmidnight posted:

Wiltjer is killing it for Gonzaga, it seems. Is he finally finding a way to the NBA?

Second round, probably.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Yeah this guy http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nathan-boothe-1.html

Seemed to have no problem with Okafor on the post. 6-9.

He was 4-10 with only three rebounds and most of his points came when Okafor was on the bench. And Okafor scored 27.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Help me understand the rationale for Jahil Okafor as the first pick in the draft. He's the best post up big in decades, but what does that mean in the NBA? The best post up big is either Brook Lopez or Al Jefferson and they're both centerpieces on mediocre teams. Is it a bad draft or is he more transcendent a talent than I'm seeing? A nearly 7 foot guy who can't play defense seems like a liability, even if he's going to be 20/15 guy.

He has the potential to be better than both of those guys (he's got a similar level of polish to Jefferson as a post scorer coming in, but he's bigger and a better passer) and he's not THAT bad defensively. Also the other contenders for the spot are super raw while he's a surer thing.

It is true that he seems sort of outdated, but a lot of that is that big guys like him don't enter the league very often anymore. Most elite big guys coming up through AAU these days are either fairly new to the game or spend a lot of time screwing around on the perimiter.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 30, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Had his way with Okafor to the tune of like one field goal? More than half his points came with Plumlee covering him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 30, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Tangentially related, but is this the last of the Plumlees, god willing?

I think so but every time I say this another one pops up like some sort of clumsy charge taking hydra.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Alexander dropping was really predictable. He's not all that tall and is incredibly unpolished. Also Self has limited his minutes quite a bit early in the year.

Oubre and Winslow over Stanley Johnson seems weird to me (Johnson is basically the same dude as Winslow except his jump shooting has been a lot better and he's carrying a bigger load for his team), and I like LaVert better than all the non-Johnson small forwards too (with the caveat that I know nothing about Euro dudes).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Being comparable to Thomas Robinson is probably not exactly a positive from an NBA perspective.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

roundmidnight posted:

Is Kaminsky going in the lottery? I mean he seems to be an incredible college player but I have no idea how to project him in the NBA because I don't watch much college ball. He seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

He won't go lottery unless someone is really desperate for shooting (there is not much of it in this class outside RJ Hunter), but he'll go in the first round. Someone will try to turn him into Channing Frye.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of the reason Looney is ranked where he is is that he was considered a better shooter out of high school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

D'angelo Russel is good fun to watch. How many crafty floaters can one man make per game?

Yeah he's pretty awesome. He can hit threes too. I don't see the point guard thing at all, but he's the best guard in the draft that I've actually seen play (which would exclude Muiday)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

I agree. Every sg under 6'6 seems to get that pg/sg designation. Way too many of his passes bounce off of his bigs' hands. You could blame that on them, but a real point guard would probably figure out where his bigs could catch balls. He ignores his teammates to go for his own shot a lot too.

Some of it is that, but a lot of it is that there are basically no good point guards in this draft other than Mudiay so teams are looking at him as one out of desperation.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

I haven't heard this but I have no idea why he would. Isn't he the top rated pro player on the roster? Or is that WCS? I don't follow the draft too much. I once called Schroeder "a random euro dude" and look what that has gotten me.

It's Towns by a pretty decent margin. WCS has played his way into Top 10 contention, but Towns is going to be at worst like the third guy off the board unless something crazy happens. He's not going to stay. At some point people will write a story about every good underclassman college player "considering staying another year" no matter how stupid and absurd it is. Wiggins and especially Parker both got it last year.

Staying another year would just hurt him because Kentucky is never going to showcase him (especially if the Harrison twins are still on the roster and starting) and if you're getting drafted mostly on potential you need to get out as fast as possible before people start picking apart all the stuff you don't do. Which in his case is pretty much everything aside from rebound and block shots.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 28, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Towns is way bigger and already flashes the ability to be an elite rim protector, which is really the primary thing most NBA teams want from their center these days. Plus he's competing with other highly regarded bigs for rebounds and between the hockey line shift bullshit they do and having to play a ton of minutes with a homeless man's dion waiters running the point he's not really showcased very well offensively. He was supposed to have had a much more well rounded game in high school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Guard for OSU. Stepped in as a freshman and immediately became their go to guy and became one of the best scorers in the county. He's a really good outside shooter and pretty good going to the basket. NBA teams are projecting him as a possible point guard right now but that's mostly desperation. He plays like a 2 and has plenty of size for the position. Other than maybe Muiday he's he beast guard in the class by miles and looks like one of the most nba ready guys. He's the player I want utah to wind up with the most.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

So would you guys say this is shaping up to be a deep draft? Top heavy draft? Bad draft? Seeing some names up high that I know might struggle in the NBA so I'm pretty nervous.

Somewhere in the middle of all of those, and it depends on what your team needs. If you need an athletic defensive big man then it's really deep. If you need a guard or a lights out shooter then it's pretty bad.

Overall I think it's decent though. Okafor and Russell are a really strong top two, and there are a decent number of other guys with a shot at making an impact.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 11, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

Stanley Johnson looks mean. He might struggle to fit in if he's not on the right team, but with the right players around him he could be really really good. I love his little stepback and I love the way he looks with momentum.

Hassan Whiteside makes me feel better about Karl Towns. The tools will win out, even if it takes him a little bit to learn not to be as soft as a baby's belly. Maybe he's just afraid of getting hurt before he turns pro?

I really like Johnson. He's not finishing as well as you'd like (maybe because he's not the most explosive dude in the world, despite how he looks), but he's strong enough that he should be able to improve that, and he draws fouls, hits threes, and has a nice mid-range game. He's also actually showing he can be the go-to guy for a good team, which is big at this stage. He's goon on the boards and plays defense too. Draft express has him 5th right now which seems about right to me.

Towns has been better lately! They've been making more of a concerted effort to get him the ball and he's responded well the last few games. And he's still really good as a shotblocker and rebounder. He'll be better in the NBA where he'll be asked to mostly be a pick and roll guy early.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

So the stretch 4/5 rankings are:

1 - Okafor
2 - Towns
3 - Johnson
4 - Kaminsky
5 - Portis?

Are you asking about big men who can hit threes or just like a general list of good big guys? Either way this list is hosed up on a bunch of levels, I just want to know which ones for sure.

For "big guys who can shoot" I'd go

1. Kaminsky
2. Prozingas (based entirely on rep, I haven't seen a second of him)
3. Myles Turner
4. Towns (hasn't actually shot well in college but had that rep coming out)
5. Looney (see above)

If it's just a general ranking of big guys I'd go:

1. Okafor
2. Towns
3. Turner
4. Looney
5. Porzingas

with Portis pretty close behind

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 12, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People a saddling Maker with a really unfair amount of hype based on one youtube highlight tape.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He made a couple threes in a tape so now he is a taller Kevin Durant, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I've read a lot about how Thon will go long long periods of playing really unremarkably and then do some highlight-worthy thing but admittedly I haven't watched it myself and that was from a while ago. I also hope he isn't married to his 3 like Myles Turner.

Before a recent slump Turner was hitting 3s at a good clip.

Also Russell is plenty big enough to play SG and taking Oubre over him would be really dumb.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 17, 2015

• Locked thread