Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The worst team only has a 25% of the 1st pick, so 76ers probably need to consider lots of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think you could probably play all 3 in a rotation if they all end up good. More than likely, if they got Okafor next year, by the end of next year one of them won't look like they are worth putting much effort into. Seriously, 3 rookie bigs means you're lucky if you get more than 1 starter-quality dude.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

he's the guy what signed onto Duke as a package with Okafor because they're both from the high school of Apple Valley, Minnesota

Okafor played in Chicago, Jones played for Apple Valley but they were friends and wanted to play together in college. I dunno how Jones is doing right now, but he was a pretty coveted prospect and DX has him in the late first right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mike Hill sounds like an rear end in a top hat. Oh, our 7+ footer body-isn't-supposed-to-be-built-that-way is having trouble with an exercise that of course he would? Better humiliate him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Twins get overrated, get drafted, get underrated and then turn out to be serviceable NBA players, with Phoenix usually being involved. This is canon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Benne posted:

Looks like Robert Upshaw just got a lot cheaper

Sounds like he is going to join the D-League, which actually might make him look better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

When guys are all hunched over and the camera is at a weird angle arms can look way longer than they actually are. Lamb still has a ridiculous wingspan though, and 7'1" on a 6'5" body is also pretty ridiculous.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, why would someone trade a top pick for Noel who is two years closer to being off his rookie contract when they could have traded a song for him on draft night?

Hopefully Embiid gets some playing time this year, as I think his play will determine a lot of moves the Sixers make. Either way, if they get the #1 they will take and play okafor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chunkles posted:

Master trader Morey tried time and again to do this and when he finally managed it, it was going from like 14 to 12. Teams have way more faith in their drafting and development then they probably should.

If you draft down and someone on or between your spots hits you are chewed out by the media for a decade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

There were reports going back to last years draft that they were trying to do exactly that.

Those reports tend to be exagerated. "We want a top-5 pick for him" becomes "We'll deal him for anything". I think given the result it's pretty clear the 76ers wanted a big asset for him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Given that MCW is a starting caliber point guard I don't necessarily think it was wise for the Sixers to move him for a first round pick that they might not even see until 2018 if the Lakers rebuild goes as scheduled. Bird in the hand, etc. Plus that roster is loving dreadful and they're not going to have anyone to build around besides Embiid who is most likely not going to be ready to shoulder the load for an awful team while also developing good basketball habits. It's cool they have a bunch of firsts but you know who else had a bunch of first round picks? The Cavs

Cavs turned their cap room that they had because they didn't have many Vets into Lebron James and their firsts into a very sought after Kevin Love and now they look like they could make the Finals. I'm not sure what went wrong with that plan?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I assume he meant pre-LeBron. Having the best player in basketball decide he wants to come play for your crappy team because he's from there and feels guilty is probably not a plan you can hope to recreate.

Maybe, but "maximize assets and get good returns for anyone who isn't a superstar" is basically the Sixer's plan and I don't think that's a bad idea add long as you can stomach the ticket sales.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This next lockout is going to be amazing and I am quite excited about it.

I'm holding out hope that the TV deal will mean a lost season would be too much revenue to throw away and the owners will be sensible but who am I kidding?

The bright side is the condensed 66 game schedule was actually a superior regular schedule, I thought. Get rid of some of the super ugly back-to-back-to-backs and I think its pretty close to my ideal. Depth became a lot more important and the games mattered a lot more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Who is the best guy who could play the SF in the NBA in this draft? This draft seems really light on real wing players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

He's also a rare NBA son who isn't markedly less athletic and generally smaller than his father due to marrying a cute short un-athletic woman

You seem to be pushing basketball Eugenics. On one hand that seems deplorable, on the other its how we got Yao.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Next year will IIRC be the last year of this particular rookie scale. If you wait a year, I guess you would make substantially more over the life of your rookie deal, which may be worth the risk of injury.

Rookies will always get shafted by the NBA pay scale, of that I am fairly certain.

edit: And I just looked, the scale is set until 2020, with only marginal increases. Rookies are going to make like 1/10 the max at the end of that.

http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 13, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Projections aside, the Wolves have a future core of Rubio, Wiggins, LaVine, built to play fast. Okafor is not a floor running big. Towns isn't Tyson Chandler or young Amare, but he can run up and down the court.

Other than that, Towns could be a good rim protector and a good pick and roll player on both ends. Even if Okafor learns defense he's still going to be limited by his mobility and tiny vertical.

The calculus is potential to be very good on both ends vs easily best in generation post up player who's limited to being a drop back obstacle on defense

Really, the Wolves have a bad defense problem, and while Dieng looks like he might help somewhat, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll be a decent backup and a below-average starter. So Towns looks like a way better fit.

Regarding what happens if the Wolves are 3 or 4, I was sorta thinking Mudiay, Russel and Winslow were all at the same tier, would you put Mudiay and Russel ahead? Mudiay scares the poo poo out of me and Russel looks good, but a combo guard with maybe iffy shooting and not too athletic doesn't sound like a good fit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Minny traded the Cavs' 2015 pick, so they wouldn't have been able to get Cauley-Stein

Nope, it was the Heat pick.
http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/8/22/6055729/done-deal-thaddeus-young-traded-to-minnesota

At the time it wasn't a good trade and the Heat missing the playoffs has made it awful. To defend Flip, I am 90% sure it was being driven by ownership to try and get a 35 win team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm still not convinced LaVine is a starting NBA guard.

I thought Russel was an ok shooter but not particularly good. If he is good then maybe that's the way they should go.

I would really prefer getting a good SF as Wiggins is better at the 2 than the 3, but he'll be good regardless.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm still not convinced LaVine is a starting NBA guard.

I thought Russel was an ok shooter but not particularly good. If he is good then maybe that's the way they should go.

I would really prefer getting a good SF as Wiggins is better at the 2 than the 3, but he'll be good regardless.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pek's contract wasn't bad. There was risk there, but that was built into the contract. If Pek was healthy that contract would be a steal. And yeah, if the Heat keep their pick this year then the net effect of the Thad trade will be pretty minimal as Dragic/Wade/Deng/Bosh will probably be a pretty late pick next year.

Ok, I feel better about Russel if the Wolves are in a position to draft him. MN does have potentially a heap of 2nd rounders too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I like the storyline of "They probably shouldn't have selected the ROY"

That was a super lovely draft though, for real.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

I...honestly don't remember that, and I went back and searched for Brandon Knight on hoopshype and RealGM just to be sure when I posted earlier.

I think he is saying that if the Suns were giving up the Lakers pick for Brandon Knight, they shouldn't have cared if it went to the Bucks or the 76ers. It's an "opportunity cost" argument, but that often doesn't work because there's a layer of politics and relationships between the GMs that isn't always visible. So while the Bucks may have gotten the pick instead, there may have been other reasons the trade went the way it did.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yuzenn posted:

He does love the mid range jumper and shoots them pretty well but has a tendency to take a step in from the three after faking out the defender and that's going to be a big no no in the NBA.

A lot of NBA players do this too, and if to gets you from having a defender somewhat in your area for a 3 to having a clean look at a long 2 it doesn't really change the value of the shot at all. An open midrange shot is as valuable as a partially contested 3.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If the Lakers don't pick up Hills Option they only have 31 mil in cap space and a bunch of holds. Unless they jettison pieces I don't think they'd be able to afford Rondo and Love. Things don't look very good for them for a couple years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

They can get to about 37 if they can find someone to take Young because Kelly and Sacre's contracts are unguaranteed. Still might be a little short of fully maxing both those guys, ultimately it comes down to what Rondo's max is (it's not as high as someone of his career normally is since he gave Boston a discount, but it's still really close).

Good call on the non-guaranteed, even if they get them both I still think that lands them still in a lovely place, especially if Kobe ends up only playing part of the season. I think if they can get Love do that and wait it out another year. I'd expect Love wouldn't want to do that though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Yeah, agreed, although this is the sort of area where if I talk about it too much I'm going to end up with 500 Lakers chains posted at me, but gently caress it. I am not Love's biggest fan but if they can sell him on hanging out a year I'd do it ten out of ten times, and maybe they should spend the money that Rondo would get on the novelty of not having multiple literal D-League players in the heavy rotation. Rondo alone to me isn't worst case scenario either, because he's respected amongst his NBA peers, and that sort of thing helps to attract free agents. But it's still a tough sell to players with so much money available from actual good teams in the future.

All in all it's the question of how good the player they draft this year will be that makes a big difference to me, and if Julius Randle sucks or not. How the Lakers spend their money in the offseason is going to be fun to follow but I think it's just a band-aid and real success will be built on the foundation of this draft and last draft (either as players that are good or that people will trade for), if at all, in the next 5 years or so. If these are busts, it's probably a decade long rebuild. Which, I know I have no place to complain about, so I'll stop here.

I do have to say the Kobe contract ended up being smarter than I thought. It locks up money in a way to give reason not to blow it all on a 45 win team, gives a huge cap jump in a planned way, and the money goes to a guy who earned it many times over. I think LA was ahead of the curve on what the cap would do.

I also think they want that superstar player that they draft. I think they know how much the brings to the organization, in more than just wins. LA extending the rebuild to grow their own centerpiece is probably the right move.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Burks contract still seems bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

I have a thing for defenders, like Marcus Camby and Ben Wallace, who have no business really tring to score other than lobs and put backs. Im weird.

You are my spirit animal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

76ers still have like a 9% chance at the Heat pick too. I vaguely recall that it's something like a 1/3 chance at Heat or Laker's pick (since not getting one raises the chance of getting the other), but I could be wrong about that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That trend is likely to continue in the future. Stars are less likely to come here when they have NYC, LA, Miami, or Chicago as options.

Not to be contrarian, but the biggest free agent moves the last couple years have been Lebron to Cleveland and Dwight Howard leaving LA. I don't think Market size is really that big of a deal anymore, I think if players are willing to move they want a good fit/role on a team, not necessarily the biggest media market.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Excuse those of us who can't afford season tickets and don't want to perpetuate mediocrity for the next decade.

Come to Minnesota, I had season tickets for two years with decent seats for like $240 per seat per season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Keep 'em. If the Wolves pick up Towns this year, and Rubio can stay healthy for any period of time, those tickets might get a bit more expensive in the near future :)

I gave them up a couple seasons ago, though one of their account execs still calls me every once in a while and just shoots the poo poo to see if I'll renew. I feel weird because I paid a grand total of like $1000 over the life of all my tickets and they must have spent more than that on people-hour-dollars just to hear me rant that Adelman has quit on the team or Shabazz needs more minutes or whatever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Knicks and Karl Towns

I think a lot of teams are leaning this way, a polished Post Scorer just isn't as valuable as a rim protector in today's NBA. Timberwolves will almost certainly go with Towns too, so at this point I'd say its over 50% chance he gets picked #1.

The measurements have me excited about Caulie-Stein though too, though not in the top 3.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Wolfson seems pretty set on Okafor still being their guy, have you heard anything different or is this just who you'd prefer if you were drafting?

Wolfson sometimes goes against the grain to get a conversation going. Within the Wolves I don't think there is actually any decision but outside the Wolves pretty much any analyst will say Towns is a much better fit. The only drawback is if they really think Dieng will be a starter-level center, which after a flat 2nd year I think is a stretch.

Given that, I think if they end up with #1 they will go with Towns. The Timberwolves will not win the lottery though, so moot point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

"How many pennies are in a million dollars?"

NBA GMs asking the hard hitting questions

Your doing that to see how they will react to media. I don't think the GMs care about their basic math skills (though, c'mon, pretty basic), but if they start getting frustrated or chippy being asked dumb questions by a guy who wants to give them hundreds of millions of pennies, then they will get more chippy to dumbass reporters asking the same answerless question 15 times in a row.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"Big man compares favorably to Pau Gasol and Dirk" is pretty much a death knell.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

New NBA policy means we'll never see the Gilbert kid at the draft again. No more family members as draft reps according to the league office.

That seems like a weird rule. The whole thing is basically pageantry anyway, what problem are they trying to solve?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Wolfson has been saying this for weeks/months and even tweeted out after the lotto that his money would be on Okafor if the draft were today.

I think the "if the draft were today" is telling, I don't think MN has their mind even close to being made up. I really do think it could go either way still.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pylb posted:

So now both bigs will tank their interviews with Minnesota in the hopes of heading to LA, right?

You lose 2 million bucks over the course of your rookie contract going from 1 to 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Just like how Ricky Rubio was going to force a trade to the Lakers or the Knicks after being drafted.

You are crazy if you think Rubio is ever going to play for the Timberwolves. And the Wolves have no leverage with Love, they need to take the deal for David Lee and a 2nd rounder and be happy they got anything for Love.

• Locked thread