Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I received a copy of the Krosmaster board game for Christmas this year, but only finally got a chance to play it recently. I was pleasantly surprised at what a fun little game it was. The last time I had a board game night, I kept finding people over in the corner pawing through all the high production value pieces and wanting to play.

For anyone who owns the game and plays it regularly, can you suggest which expansions/unit boxes to purchase? I'm less concerned with building ideal tournament teams, and more with increasing my play options with units that have interesting abilities. My fear is that I'll get an expansion with units that have non-3 costs, and suddenly the unit draft doesn't work because there's only one cost-5 unit and no cost-1s to balance it out.

Also, do the additional boards (Frigost and the mine expansion) add much? It's just different placement for your trees/shrubs/crates, and no actual mechanical differences, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Mr.Booger posted:

For boards it is nice to have variety, All are pretty nice with various additions, the sliding of blocks on frigost makes for new tactics. But for the money, Not Mines was a great pick up, you can get it fairly cheap (14-16 $ online) and they are double sided with different maps. the mine carts can also open up angles and such like the ice blocks.

If you purely want 3s for your collection to keep it simple most of the 4 pack boxes are not quite where you want to go as I think each box is 12 pts, but usually a variety of values among the 4 models. There are alot of 3s around though, so maybe hit ebay for people's extras, etc. Though there are rules for mis-matched points values (which we have done before and worked out pretty well).

Most of the boxes have something I have liked quite abit, so hard to narrow down one or two that would be best. I might suggest hitting krosmaster arena online to get a look at all the models and their cards (so you can see all the threes) and then see which ones have the most you want.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll grab the Not Mines and try it out, since it's fairly cheap.

Incidentally, I liked Japanime Games on Facebook just in time for them to post an article about how to start expanding your collection.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I got a chance to play a couple games of this again over the weekend. It's too bad it isn't very popular, it's a pretty fun tactical skirmish game. Did the online version ever happen?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Funso Banjo posted:

This released on Steam this week.

Very nice implementation, though I think the tutorial could be much better. It walks you through the games themselves fairly well, but then doesn't cover the different abilities, buying new figures, or UI pretty much at all. The iPad version, if anyone cares, has hit snag after snag and it is going to be a fair bit later before seeing release.

While I like the game, I have my doubts about how popular this will be with the English speaking world. The sales are much higher in French regions right now. I can see this game being absolutely dead within a few months, sadly.

I've been looking forward to this! I downloaded on Steam, and I'm hoping to give it a shot over the weekend. My biggest problem with Krosmaster is getting to play it often enough to really develop teams and strategies, so it'll be nice to have a convenient means to play pick up games.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
On the plus side, they're trying to move inventory by offering huge discounts during the holidays. I'm hoping things get so bad that they'll sell me a resin board for >$100 (but then they rebound
and become successful after that)

• Locked thread