Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

One way to look at it is, you can feel like a rich man if you scoff at items like it's not worth the time to pick up a sword you might of picked up many moons ago and thought it was the greatest thing you ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

One way to look at it is, you can feel like a rich man if you scoff at items like it's not worth the time to pick up a sword you might of picked up many moons ago and thought it was the greatest thing you ever seen.

Look, if I could stuff every chair in a classroom in my pants pocket with the only limit being an arbitrary encumbrance limit, I would

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ragg posted:

I picked up every drat pencil for this reason

i would quicksave the game in ppl's houses or shops just to make sure i didnt piss them off for stealing all their pencils

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
I only pick up items that begin with a vowel.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ah Map posted:

I only pick up items that begin with a vowel.

You have acquired: AIDS x1.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
You ignore it. I'll steal everything that's not nailed down in a house if I hate the NPC who owns it, but that's out of crazy spite not autism. Aside from that you just take what you need, secure in the assumption that you'll use it better than the NPC would. It'd be great if a game had an NPC die because you'd stolen his ring of diplomacy +2 or whatever five hours earlier.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i limited myself to stealing only silver tableware(but every piece in the game) in oblivion. i cant go into the bedroom of my bravil home as its a physics disaster zone

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ragg posted:

Your way doesn't get as much money as possible.

You don't need that much money.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Lamebot posted:

i limited myself to stealing only silver tableware(but every piece in the game) in oblivion. i cant go into the bedroom of my bravil home as its a physics disaster zone

That was an awesome feature in that game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone said they don't?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because they don't, op

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I just take what I want and leave the rest and enjoy the game, OP.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
depends on the game

If it's a roguelike, I just dump everything potentially useful in a stash somewhere if it might be useful later but has no current relevance.

If it's a normal RPG, I just carry what I think I might need or want and leave the rest where it is.

If it's a jRPG then lol, just take the best equipment possible, sell everything else, and just hope that the game auto-loots for you at the end of battles so that you can just sell poo poo easily

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
most games dont really need you to be as optimal as possible so my non-autism doesnt hurt me in most cases i can just like lean back and pick everything up and even if i dont wring thelast gold coin outta a nigga it doesnt even matter because most developers cater to my neurotypical needs

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

judge which ones will vendor for more cash and prioritize those over the ones that won't pull me down some dosh. i got to get paid. got to get mine.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

If I'm really strapped for cash in the game I might do it but as a gamer and a man, I often decide that X amount of missed gold or whatever, is worth whatever tedium and time I saved not sorting and selling and picking up crap I don't want.

It makes sense.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

GeneX posted:

depends on the game

If it's a roguelike, I just dump everything potentially useful in a stash somewhere if it might be useful later but has no current relevance.

If it's a normal RPG, I just carry what I think I might need or want and leave the rest where it is.

If it's a jRPG then lol, just take the best equipment possible, sell everything else, and just hope that the game auto-loots for you at the end of battles so that you can just sell poo poo easily

One of the good things JRPGs do is not have carry limits usually.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

It makes sense.

Maybe but I don't find it as fun, even if it does make sense. If it's a single player game especially it's like, am I really trying to prove myself to anyone? I could just lie and say I do the optimal thing, and no one would be the wiser.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

Maybe but I don't find it as fun, even if it does make sense. If it's a single player game especially it's like, am I really trying to prove myself to anyone? I could just lie and say I do the optimal thing, and no one would be the wiser.

I mean that that X amount of missed gold or whatever, is worth whatever tedium and time I saved not sorting and selling and picking up crap I don't want. makes sense.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

I mean that that X amount of missed gold or whatever, is worth whatever tedium and time I saved not sorting and selling and picking up crap I don't want. makes sense.

Oh.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I should have said: this makes sense, probably.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

I should have said: this makes sense, probably.

I thought you were referring to compulsively getting every piece of gold possible making sense, which I would also agree with as far as it makes sense in the interest of optimizing how you play a game.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

I thought you were referring to compulsively getting every piece of gold possible making sense, which I would also agree with as far as it makes sense in the interest of optimizing how you play a game.

I briefly entertained the idea of getting max possible xp in deux ex human revolution which you do, by rushing double takedown upgrade and using a bunch of really akward tricks to get enemies to stand next to each other, but you cant get seen doing it cuz you lose ghost. There are people who have done this apparently.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The idea of like a secret agent man or whatever sneaking thru a the enemy base throwing crates around and luring enemies, to stand ext to each other. is cool

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I only ever pick up money, unique items, and like, maybe health potions if I don't have some. Just buy whatever you want from the money you get from quest rewards and maybe robbing people.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ragg posted:

especially when you could make more gold in the same amount of time it would take to sort through all those items just by fighting random encounters instead

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.

Ragg posted:

I briefly entertained the idea of getting max possible xp in deux ex human revolution which you do, by rushing double takedown upgrade and using a bunch of really akward tricks to get enemies to stand next to each other, but you cant get seen doing it cuz you lose ghost. There are people who have done this apparently.

Wow that sounds really cool and interesting. I too put little value on my time.

As for picking poo poo up, depends on the RPG. JRPGs don't have a million things to get, it's usually something useful. If I miss something oh well no big deal. Games like Earthbound are cool because they discourage hoarding. You have a limited inventory, so you use whatever items you need at the moment you need them. In games like that, consumables are a time saver, not a necessity. Keeps you from going back to the hospital or Pokemon center every time you get hurt, allowing you to get on with the game.

Sandbox games like New Vegas, you gotta have priorities, pencils are worthless, just a waste of inventory space, but I'll pick up pre war money cause there is a high return on them. I never bother much with the crafting system unless it's to make weapons, making consumables is dumb, you already have a million stun packs and other drugs and food from just picking the up, but A heated saturnite fist is worth the time.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The pencil value to weight ratio is infinite.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Ragg posted:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ragg posted:

I get pissed off in games where theres tons of loot cuz I want to pick it all up. People tell me I'm crazy for this so I want to know, how are you supposed to interact with loots in games like this. Do you just pick things up at random? Do you have some system for what to pick up and what to leave. What's the deal?

Autoloot then sell everything my guy isnt wearing to vendor.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If there isnt a way to auto loot then whats the god drat point of looting.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

bethesda rpgs sometimes have dudes who are holding a chair or brick or something stupid like that in their inventory, so if you accidentally click auto loot you you have to go hunt in your menu for the useless heavy thing you accidentally grabbed

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Pewdiepie posted:

Autoloot then sell everything my guy isnt wearing to vendor.

Yeah but then you run out ofspace.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

bethesda rpgs sometimes have dudes who are holding a chair or brick or something stupid like that in their inventory, so if you accidentally click auto loot you you have to go hunt in your menu for the useless heavy thing you accidentally grabbed

I basically only auto looted like ammo boxes for this reason, and dirty water in first aid kits. You dont really save that much time anyways.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Pewdiepie posted:

If there isnt a way to auto loot then whats the god drat point of looting.

what if you wind up really needing just one more bug egg/gold ring of sneaking/salmon steak and you don't have it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

what if you wind up really needing just one more bug egg/gold ring of sneaking/salmon steak and you don't have it

go back and get it

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
I loot everything in sight in every game and then when my inventory is full and there's an item I want to pick up I either stash the less important stuff somewhere or sell it or heaven forbid if neither option is available, I throw the poor quality stuff on the ground.

I'm playing DC:SS right now and carrying around like 5 lovely swords that I don't need just because I haven't filled up my inventory yet, so why not carry them around? I might need them... for something... they're not even magical but you never know.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive known quite a few people who cant play diablo likes because they obsessively pick up everything that drops to sell it or whatever.

i never understood that. just pick up whatever the rarest color is or whatever has a good chance of being useful and ignore everything else the hell is wrong with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
I do this and still play diablo.

Diablo 3 has infinite free town portal and a pretty big inventory. Just pick every drat thing up and go sell it or disenchant it for crafting mats. Super easy to do.

• Locked thread