Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Image credit: Brainchild Graphics

OOC Thread
Strings Chart

Dramatis Personae

• Teodora da Golconda (KPrime), a poet, lover, and moonlight shrike
• Cristofero d'Ammollo (Davin Valkri), a boy forever drowned
• Kwaku Nkumrah Nsiah (AdjectiveNoun), one who tangles everyone in his web
• Marino ab Aqua (Shogeton), a sea beast in a strange land
• Morgiana Amiot of Volans (Lurks With Wolves), a courtier exiled from her homeland
• Orelia Vignona (megane), a girl entirely out of place

• Students of Valentino Academy
· Antonio, Marino's close friend, amazing with the violin, may know where Marino's sealskin is
· Arlena Attencia, betrothed to Falmar de Cadenza, dangerous on horseback
· Falmar de Cadenza, a terrible lout with a crush on Teodora, betrothed to Arlena Attencia
· Lia, a commoner who clawed for her position in the academy through talent, openly disdains others
· Lucia de Salini, a noble with a house full of fishes, invites Marino to upset her parents
· Lucretia Sita, the duelist who bested Teodora and saw her transform
· Madonna Bellechi, complains to Cristofero about her lavish dramas
· Marina, went on a party with Orelia, won't talk to her now
· Rico Carvani, complains to Cristofero about his lavish dramas
· Ottavio Mocenigo, a student from Volans, writes (really good) plays that lambast the Celestial Court
· Orsetta Vignona, Orelia's a sister and known polymath, saw the gruesome remains of another student
· Uma Di Priapi, sister of Bianca di Priapi, Kwaku wants to blackmail her to get back at Bianca
· Umberto di Paro, lovestruck fool who courts a girl from an opposing family

• Staff of Valentino Academy
· S. Terridore, teacher of ancient literature
· Valentino di Priapi, founder of the academy and the house of Priapi

• People of Ceres
· Bianca di Priapi, works for the Bank of Priapi, has tried to manipulate Kwaku financially and physically
· Dolores, drowned in the canals over her lover, has a dangerous plan to come back to life
· Gregorio de Voli, Cristofero's grand nephew, saw Cristofero as a g-g-g-ghost and ran
· Rodrigo, Morgiana's uncle

• People Elsewhere
· Arias, a duke in Volans, used Morgiana as part of an attempted coup in Volans, fate unknown

Locations

• Plaza of the Companions, a landmark near the academy gates, dedicated to the legend of the Companions who once defended Ceres
• The Black Doors, tiny doors all over the academy that are clearly servant doors and not places that lead to a dangerous labyrinth
• Temple of a Thousand Aspects, dedicated to lesser gods such as the distant Aan-Sei-Kon and the fisher god Zuuk, frequent place of religious strife

Traditions

• Customs
· "It is traditional for, ehm, unmarried ladies to wear masks when about after dark."
· "If you want to go to Heaven, your body must be buried in the Earth--that is the rule of the churches and temples."
· The Thousand Etiquettes, a collection of proper conduct among the nobles of Ceres

• Deities
· Alectron, a chief goddess of the sun
· Antavius, the Laughing God, symbolized by the spilled cup, the moon, and the broken heart.
· Lethns, the chief god of water
· Milodotae, goddess of the evening sky and patron of artists, symbolized by the Queen of Volans

• Events
· The Black Pilgrimage, a time when Kwaku's ancestors fled to Ceres after a power struggle

• Festivals
· Carouselle, a night of revelry
· The Moon Festival, another night of revelry and bloodshed for Antavius' worshipers.

• Guilds
· The Gondolier's Guild, who also act as secret couriers and spies, works through a system of barcaroles

Assembly Circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

ACT I
SCENE I. Valentino Academy, Main Garden

It's the last week of Citrine, tenth month of the year according to the Ehsarum calendar. In so many ways, Harvest season is all but over in Ceres. The days turn shorter, the night grow colder, the skies tint with a sickly gray. The fashion-minded slowly phase away the bright oranges of Citrine in favor for the darker, gloomier colors of the next month. People already prepare for the festivals, a month-long celebration of a bountiful year to Alectron and the myriad gods, as well as another means for the farmers and dock workers to spend their long, hard-earned wages on grog and wine.

Trends may come and ago in Ceres, but drunken revelry lasts all year round.

Meanwhile, you're on your third week of classes in Valentino Academy. It's been long enough that you're well acquainted with your fellow peers, as well as the particular manner of teaching the academy employs. See, like many other similar (though infinitely lesser) institutions, Valentino Academy contains many functional halls and facilities to better teach their students with. Valentino, however, believes that to truly appreciate the arts and science, one often needs to free their minds from the constraints of four walls. The curriculum encourages their students participate in many outdoor and extracurricular activities as possible.

It's a long way to explain why you and your class are in the academy's evergreen gardens for your second-to-the-last subject for the day. Signora Patrone, your art appreciation professor, brought you over to the garden's main square as part of a "outdoor modeling exercise". Oh, don't look surprised, you're not the one on display here.

As always, the class stands in a circle around the stony square. In the very middle of the square, marked by an onyx circle with square patterns extending outward, stand four professional models in the buff. Two men and two women, and with each pair, one well-shaped and endowed and the other less so and heavyset. The exercise? Compose your reaction to their models. It could be anything from a painting, to a poem, to a treatise on the human anatomy, to any other creative effort. Signora Patrone only expects to see their composition next meeting.

And after that, she left. Just like that, yes. It's been an hour since. The skies were clear earlier that afternoon, though now it looks like heavy clouds are settling in. The wind is picking up. The models already feel the chill, even as they work in various poses.

You're free to break away from your assigned positions in the circle. Just make sure you're back in place by the time the last professor arrives.

_____

Teodora, you know people have been talking about it all day. Just who were you with last night?

Lucretia Sita, the girl who bested you (and saw you change), stands opposite of you in the circle. As she draws the models on charcoal, she also makes a pointed effort to avoid your gaze. How did you find about her plans to expose your true nature?

Cristofero, Rico and Madonna are at it again. They're both looking for help in some "stage production" they haven't elaborated on yet, and they're looking at you. Why can't you refuse them?

Do you find it strange that Lucia resembles so much like someone you knew decades ago?

Kwaku, Uma Di Priapi stands next to you, though she looks far too distracted with the models in the middle to pay you notice. You made your first move against Bianca through her, what was it?

Lia, your fellow outcast, has gotten in a lot of trouble with the professors this week. What did she do? And why did you encourage it?

Marino, you're next to Marina, ohohoho! You've noticed she's skipped out on a lot of classes this week, why is that?

Antonio looks shifty today. Actually, he's been like this ever since you found out who took your pelt. What did he do to tick you off last time?

Morgiana, take a look at Ottavio's face. He's looking even more self-assured today than usual. What outrage did he commit the last time he looked like this?

Arlena didn't even notice you at the start of classes, but now she's approaching you as a friend, even invited you to a small party in estate. How did you help her out?

Orelia, Orsetta's not in your class, but that doesn't mean you're away from her problems. What did you two fight over the other night?

Opposite of you in the circle is Umberto "di Porco". Try as he might to hide his eyes behind a notepad, it surely looks like he's looking your way than at the models. Ugh, isn't he already pining for some other girl? What does he want from you?

Okay, let's go! Please link your sheets in your first post. Let's stick to first-person present tense narration for consistency.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Morgiana Amiot of Volans
Hot -1|Cold +1|Volatile +1|Forgiveness/Trespass +0
Harm: 0/4|XP: 0/5

I was going to do a charcoal sketch, initially. It wouldn't be my finest work, but it would have been serviceable. Sadly, this breeze has conspired to scuttle that plan. You see, I decided to rough out the male models first before I went back and added the finer details, but by the time I finished sketching their faces they already wilted down below. (They'd never last a night in Volens if they can't handle a little breeze, but I digress.) I'd have to smear out their entire groins if I wanted to get an accurate sketch, and that would ruin the whole piece. What a pain...

Okay. The sketches aren't working out. Maybe I could fall back on a bit of poetry. It won't be directly connected, to be sure, but I can figure some sort of metaphor... The cold is the root of my problems here, and none of the models look particularly good when they're trying to hide their shivers. I could work with. The winter makes all flowers wilt, no matter how beautiful they were in summer. I could even shade over the crotches in the two I've drawn so far and call it a side piece! Yes, I can definitely make this work. Now, what meter should I use...

TurninTrix posted:

Morgiana, take a look at Ottavio's face. He's looking even more self-assured today than usual. What outrage did he commit the last time he looked like this?

It was during the after-party for his last play. He had more than his fair share of wine and decided to round up a few of his fellow rogues and yell obscenities at the Temple of a Thousand Aspects. I would have stopped him, but, well, I had more than my fair share of wine too and I was too caught up in telling the actor who played my aunt in the play about the genuine article to even realize they were gone. I can tell you that he was absolutely insufferable the next day, though. The way he said he you'd think he shook it to the very foundations with his grand wit. I don't know what he could have done to make himself look that assured in his own greatness, but Queen knows that he'll tell me about it. At length.

quote:

Arlena didn't even notice you at the start of classes, but now she's approaching you as a friend, even invited you to a small party in estate. How did you help her out?

It's just a favor, really. Everyone knows that Arlena's fiancee is a womanizer, but it seems that he's set his sights closer to her than usual this time. Specifically, Arlena's roommate. She found quite the collection of notes confirming this, in fact. She doesn't have anywhere to hide them away from her roommate, but she's also not ready to rake Falmar across the coals just yet. She desperately needed someone to hide the evidence until she was ready. Desperate enough to ask me to help. I suppose she assumed I had no reason to favor either of the lovebirds over her. Of course, she was right. Now there's a box of love notes hidden under a loose floorboard under my bed and I am technically involved in a lover's spat I have no connection to.

Of course, I could easily blackmail any of the three actors in this play with these notes. I won't, though. I need allies in this land more than I need followers, and I have never been particularly suited to scheming. For now, I am content to merely aid her. Maybe this will even bloom into an actual friendship one day.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 23, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Teodora

So of course, how could I not write a song.

My mind is distracted, though. All my attempts end up as romantic ballads to Lia.

Beauteous, vicious, icy Lia. She spurned me for a time, but it was clear to her that we were two kindred spirits, despite our differing origins. Let the others gossip... it's not like either of us cares about our position. Much.

Some would call it scandalous, dallying with a lowborn. But like the Mark, I don't discriminate...

I am distracted from my distraction, embarrassingly enough, by looking at Lucretia. Of course she had to come here. How could anything else happen? We are still bound by fate. "One who sees the results of the Mark will be bound with the bearer..." I thought it was just an old rumor. More fool me.

Worse, though, is that someone keeps posting sketches of me as a bird around the school. Most people think they're just someone's angry prank, thankfully, but some who know of the rumors of Golconda are suspicious they mean more. Or maybe they just hate me. Either is possible.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Marino

Seeing people nude really makes me a lot more conscious about my own clothing. Even if I unbuttoned the collar and removed some of the underclothing, it still feels tight and chafing around me. Maybe I could see if I could model? Or would that be one of those things you're not supposed to do? It's difficult.

Anyway, seeing people nude makes me thing more about clothing. So since that is my reaction I started writing on it. I mean, humans make a really big deal about clothing and nakedness. You're never supposed to be naked. Even half naked is a really big deal. But half of the beautiful art I see is people naked or almost naked. So people know they're beautiful. I mean, they use clothes to show how important they are, but they could use other things. Hats, painting on your body, doing something with your hair. That doesn't explain clothing. Are people perhaps ashamed, since not all of them are as beautiful? Hm, some important people are old and their bodies might not be as beautiful anymore. Maybe that's why important people always say you're supposed to wear clothing, because they don't want to remember they're not as beautiful anymore? I take a look at the ones that aren't quite as beautiful. Still, the sound of seagulls is maybe not as beautiful as a violin, but does that mean you should silence the seagulls? I mean, clothing can be beautiful, but it seems to be about hiding, and not decorating.

It makes me think of my own skin. But that is different. The clothing hides human's true form. That skin is, well, that is me. That is the shape I was born in. I am more naked than naked now. Though, I do feel beautiful like this, but vulnerable, alone and lost. Do humans feel like this when they're naked perhaps?

Oh, shoot. I started writing that down. I quickly tear the bit of paper with that information off, crumple it and toss it to the ground.

I look around and notice Marina is rather flushed. I think she's been like that ever since the models disrobed though. I don't think she ever watched either of the four. She's working hard though. I peek, trying to read, though it's difficult for me. Her letters are as neat, stern and orderly as her outfit. Ever since that party she's been wearing things in somber clothes with high collars that hide her body. Is she feeling bad about her body perhaps? She looks angry as she's writing. Hm... what does 'licentious' mean? I'll have to ask Antonio. Maybe it has something to do with her spending a lot of time going to one of the temples of Alectron. Not even one of the beautiful ones. A pretty ugly and drab building in the docks. I saw her because eh... I was also skipping a class to go swimming.

Ugh, and maybe I shouldn't ask Antonio. We had an argument... again. I mean, I accepted that he's probably not going to be much help with finding my skin, but you know, he's still helping me with a lot of things. Besides, when he plays his violin like he can do I can't stay mad at him.

But...

I was trying to find out more about Cristofero. I couldn't really tell him why of course. But can you blame me for being curious. The blonde youth was the first human I ever laid eyes on. Eternally young and eternally quiet in a place where the seas will not allow time to touch the flesh, letting the waves cradle and rock him into rest. I never knew what colour his eyes had until I'd seen him. So yes, I asked questions. And Antonio got all jealous, wondering why, since Cristofero cannot sing and why am I spending time with this instead of studies. So he wasn't any help, at all. Locked himself in his room playing beautiful but sad music again. And now I notice him staring daggers at Cristofero. Well, that's great.

Anyway, I still need to follow up my task for Kwaku. And maybe see about getting Orelia her clothes back.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Christofero D'Ammollo
Hot =0, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Xp 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions:

I...don't much care for these classes in the gardens. It's not that I'm rendered distraught by nudity--I have slightly more pressing matters than that!--but much of my inspiration seems to have gone out with my life. I look at the models posing and shivering and all I see is...well...life that's barely hanging on from the cold and the damp. I suppose I could write a dirge about that, but that would be a bit morbid. And morbidity is the last thing that I want to convey, really.

I momentarily lock eyes with Antonio, see the disgust in his eyes, and turn away further to my right. Maybe the reason I can't be inspired is because Rico and Madonna are too busy chattering to each other instead of focusing on the models! The "play" we are responsible for is also intended as a way to practice negotiation among ourselves. To exercise our abilities to arrange ourselves into fruitful partnerships. But every time I tried to get into a conversation, no one actually paid attention to me. Even when I yelled and shrieked, I was ignored for people who whispered and rasped. By the time the distribution was done, the only ones who needed a third were...Rico and Madonna. And I can't imagine a reason why they had no one but themselves, no...

I can feel something rising in my throat as I look at them and they at me. Maybe it's bile, or maybe it's just water. Regardless, I swivel my head back and look to my left, pointedly away from them, with a sigh. Towards Lucia. Marino told me about her. He said that she had a villa full of water, aquariums and artificial lakes, and sections built below the water level with transparent walls to watch the fish life in the canals. It's odd...she almost like someone I knew when I was alive. A singer for the temples...? I can't remember. She would be dead by now, anyway, or an invalid, so she can't be her--can she? I should be dead and gone and wandering, but still I persist, live a normal life, but why would a temple chanter render herself immortally young?

It's not at all clear why she calls up the past. But it's more inspiration than the models in the center of the circle. I start making a sketch on my canvas, a wispy, smoky thing of evoked nostalgia.

pre:
Look: Forlorn, pained eyes
Origin: Confused Death

Stats

Backstory
Someone knows that you're dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.
You've been inside someone's bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Special Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one
another's characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply
asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your
voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue
of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone
acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want
you around.

Moves
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your
current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed
condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for
each, choose one:
- You gain the delusional condition,
- You can’t speak during this scene,
- You suffer one harm,
- You start re-enacting the scene of
your death.

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems
on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you
choose one:
- Mark experience,
- Carry one forward,
- Gain a String on them
On a 7-9, they choose one:
- They lose all their conditions,
- They gain a String on you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Orelia Vignona
Hot +1, Cold 0, Volatile +1, Dark -1
XP 0/5 | Harm 0/4

Okay. Okay. Maybe by now he's... ah, nope, still staring. Ugggh, what a horrid boy that Umberto is! I try again to bury my face in my work... such as it is. T-this is not exactly a comfortable situation for me, hah! Every time I try to focus on the models I keep reflexively averting my eyes; the one with the beard caught me looking at him -- it sounds so stupid to say it, that's what I'm supposed to be doing!! -- but well now I can't bear to look him in the eye and I blush any time I look up. What a nightmare...

As such, the pitiful little painting I made is becoming perhaps a bit more stylized than was the original intent. It's supposed to be an interpretation of the four models as the seasons; at first I thought to indicate this simply via the color scheme, but then I added in the symbols of the Four Gods to make it clearer (which I think was probably a mistake, it's too busy now). The only one of the four whose name I know is Anastasia. Pale and gloomy, she had to be winter. In case you're wondering, by the way, it is extremely embarrassing looking at someone you know who's n-naked in public, haha! Er. The short boy is spring, on account of his rosy cheeks and those nice smooth arms, and Beardy was summer on account of. Uhm. L, let's move on. That left the other girl, the... shall we say, curvacious one, to be autumn. That's... effectively just by default, I'm afraid; there's nothing particularly autumnal about her. What a useless piece of "art" I've produced, haha! And twenty minutes of staring at it, hoping it'll improve itself, hasn't yielded much in the way of results.

And, of course, it's painfully hard to concentrate with The Pig looking at me with that awful gleam in his beady little eye. Gods, it's no wonder the swine is unlucky in love. I tug at my clothes nervously; having him around always makes me feel somehow... underdressed. Vulnerable, like he's judging me, a-as if he'd dare! Though of course, it isn't me he's... euch, interested in. He accosted me yesterday, right after Orsetta left (so of course I was feeling rather... out of sorts in any case), asked me to act as some sort of go-between, carrying letters like some sort of servant! I don't even know the name of whatever poor soul he's... lusting after. It makes me feel dirty just thinking about it. But if today is any indication he intends to harangue me until I relent. Oh, why me of all people??

...oh no. A terrible thought's just struck me: what if it's Orsetta? She was saying (read: complaining) about all the unwelcome attention she gets from the b-boys. "How painful that must be for you, dear sister," I replied, in, all right, yes, a somewhat sarcastic tone. Perhaps I ought to've been more supportive, but in years past she would have given her eye to be so popular! In any case, there was hardly call for her to burst into tears and storm off, now was there? She's been acting so strangely recently. Though I guess if Umberto has been bothering her I can understand.

Gods, he's still looking at me. I have to show him he can't... can't coerce me in this way! I give him a nasty glare -- I hope he can't see how agitated I am -- and pointedly move to a different seat, where I'm not facing his horrible countenance. L-let him stare at the back of my head, if he wants.

Shut down Umberto: 2d6 11. I'll give him the condition, uhhh how about Creeper?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Kwaku Nkrumah Nsiah

Perhaps the most wondrous thing about Ceres is all the greenery. My homeland, much to the surprise of foreigners, is not a desert wasteland, but the soil is red, the grass yellow, and we rarely have trees in such abundance, and it requires constant care to maintain anything so beautiful as what comes naturally in Ceres.

Having classes amidst the gardens is, frankly, an inspired decision - who would want to waste away inside dusty stone buildings when they could take advantage of all this? It almost moves me to poetry. Bad poetry, I must admit, but I scrawl away in any case. The task at hand is, admittedly, less important to me than the people I am sharing the task with.

Specifically, the girls to my right and left. Lia... Poor little Lia, she thinks she's invulnerable, now that she's broken through the barriers of class and made it to the academy. She has a contrarian streak the length of the Plaza of the Companions, and takes every slight against her as a personal challenge, which I may have had a hand in. An innocent comment here and there - 'She was very brusque when she said goodbye, wasn't she?' or 'The professor should not have been so admonishing; he knew what you meant with that answer.' She's taken that to heart, and when some foppish aristocrat slighted her, she struck him - and she has quite a right jab. Now, violence in the Academy, against the son of someone rich and powerful? Nothing is more guaranteed to raise the professors' ire. Honestly, having a bit of volatility in the academy can only mean more entertainment, and if poor little Lia has to be my instrument to that... Well, if she didn't want to be used, she shouldn't have made herself so useful!

On my other side, there's Uma, and there's a lot more care in my plans for her. Have to tread carefully, so her sister doesn't connect the dots and realize I'm behind this. Marino will help me a great deal with that, but at the same time, I hate to sit idle and not involve myself in my own schemes. One peculiarity about banking families - they prefer to put everything in print, I suppose because reading countless sheets of elaborate cursive would drive anyone mad. However, it also makes their letters simple to forge, and I have one lined up for Bianca. All I need is one of the Priapi stamps, to make it seem 'legitimate', and for that, Uma is my best bet, and one that should show dividends soon enough.

Ah, scheming is so much more fun than bad poetry.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Strings Chart

Orelia, when you move away from your seat, Umberto moves to follow. Rico Carvani sees all of this, and quickly pushes Umberto back in place. After he throws about the accusations of "pig" and "creeper", more eyes turn towards di Porco. He grows flush, and slinks back to his seat, seething.

So, you manage to slip from Umberto's gaze and find another empty seat in the circle. But in your rush to escape him, you don't realize who you now sit next to. Until you hear a faint cough.

"Uh..." Marina looks at you for a moment, then returns back to her writing. Apparently, she still feels flush about what happened at that party. What do you do?

Marino, you see Orelia come in out of the blue and slide to a seat between yours and Marina's. The sight of her reminds you of many things from that party. The wine. The wild dancing. The taste of her lips. The clothes you have neglected to return.

Antonio shoots a side glance at you.

What do you do?

Cristofero, you watch Rico walk off to admonish Umberto for leering at Orelia far too long for his own good. Ever the white knight, that Rico.

Madonna stares at the ensuring with scene with the two, rather amused, then returns to her painting. She chooses to paint the models in a photo-realistic manner, though watercolors on canvas. It looks good, actually.

"Darling, darling, Cristofero." She splatters some yellows on the painting, her voice a constant falsetto. "Isn't my painting one of excellence? I learned from the best instructor before they picked me for the academy. You would think it unnecessary, but oh, do these people in our class truly need the guidance of a Bellechi." She leans your way. "Just what is that dreary thing you're painting?"

What do you do?

Morgiana, Arlena slips next to you. You could easily read the small pad in her hands, it looks like she wants to write a poem about... well, from what you can see, it involves words such "fidelity" and "commitment" and you can probably tell what it's about.

"Did you take care of it?" She asks, clearly regarding the evidence. Whether you answer or not, she continues. "I do hope you will be prompt for the party this week. It will be a small affair for my closest friends, but no expenses will be spared. My mother wants to see to it that I enjoy the days here before I finally wed that Falmar. We'll have entertainment imported from Volans, food prepared and enhanced from Ceres' finest alchemic chefs, and a tournament! A small jousting competition, just like the old days..."

Arlena glances up, as if she realizes something, then looks back at you. "Oh, I really hate to be the one to tell this to you, but in Ceres, guests honor the hosts of a gala with a modest gift. I wouldn't normally impose, but my parents expect my friends to be well-mannered. You understand, don't you?"

What do you do?

Teodora, on one hand, you have Lia just several seats away from you. She's all by her lonesome, ignored by the others. She works furiously against the canvas in front of her, making harsh brushstrokes as if she's cutting down everyone has angered her this week. You notice a lot of red shades in her palette.

On the other hand, you overhear Morgiana and Arlena whisper about... a party? A bachelorette's affair? A gala where Morgiana is invited and you are not? And Arlena says it right within earshot of you! Are you going to tolerate that?

What do you do?

Kwaku, you see Uma work on a charcoal sketch. She meets your eyes for a second.

One second too long, it seems, since Rico Carvani comes in from Uma's blind side and (with his tall, awkward physique) unintentionally shoves aside her charcoal sketch. It looks he wants to punish Umberto for some reason.

"Pig! How dare you leer like a creeper in broad daylight?"

"W-wait, you don't- ow! It's not her it's her sister- OW!"

Rico rough handles Umberto there a tad. He doesn't even notice how his buffoonery leaves Uma's sketch sprawling at the floor. A gust of wind threatens to blow it away before she can grab it. You're much closer to reach it.

What do you do?

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 27, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Morgiana Amiot of Volans

"Don't worry, Arlena. It's still safe." Really, she should relax a little. I'm not some fresh-faced waif on her first trip to the court, after all. I'm not going to just wave her private secrets out the window for all the world to see. As for the party, I must admit that I wasn't entirely sold on the idea until she mentioned the genuine Volanti entertainment. The food will be fine and the joust will be grand, I am sure, but I would cross a desert without a drop of water just for a taste of home.

"I understand how traditions are, don't worry. You are giving me a bit of a short notice here, no offense meant, but I do believe I can get something together." Quite frankly, I don't personally have that much that would make a proper gift. I'm sure Uncle Rodrigo wouldn't mind particularly much if I took a little something from the wine cellar, though.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 27, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Kwaku Nkrumah Nsiah
Xp 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions:

Ignorant buffoons... I click my teeth as I get up to pick up the sketch - carefully, just by the corners, don't want to smudge anything. Giving it a cursory glance, I hand it back to her once she's at arm's length. "I believe this is yours. Fine piece of work, signora Uma."

I be sure to smile when I'm done speaking - jovial, conspiratorial, like I'm sharing a secret with a close friend, and wink to add to the effect. "I don't suppose you'd be willing to share some of your techniques? I find my charcoal sketches rather... lacking, compared to this. I can offer some coffee in return, and some awful poetry if you're patient enough for that."

Rolling Hot and marking XP
[8:16pm] Nown: !r 2d6
[8:16pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 8 = 8
A success!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Christofero D'Ammollo

Thank all the Gods and Saints! Rico is leaving! He may just be moving to my left instead of sitting on my right, but at least he isn't talking to Madonna anymore. It gives me time to work on my sketch. I've structured my painting with Lucia in the foreground with stronger values and one the models in the background, in more wispy tones. It looks like Lucia is dreaming of or visualizing the model somehow. I didn't know I could do this--it is rather nice with the contrast.

Even if Madonna thinks otherwise.

"What is this?" I respond, keeping my voice level. "It is a painting of expression and feeling." Of sensation that is perceived with the mind, hidden things. Like dreams...or visions of death. "Beneath the skin." I look at her painting. It's very realistic, but... "...which is more than I can say of yours."

I'd like to shut Madonna down, please and thank you.
[22:50:32] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d6+1
[22:50:33] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 9+1 = 10
Place the condition "Skin Deep" on her, heh heh.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Orelia Vignona
XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4

Oh, wonderful job, Orelia. Hah, I couldn't have made things more awkward if I'd tried! Everyone's glaring at Umberto; I blush a bit at that, I wasn't expecting anyone to, to come to my defence in such a way. I, I don't need defending. And my new spot isn't any less stressful. I almost say something to Marina, but the look on her face makes me feel... like it'd be a mistake somehow. She still looks so -- I don't know, it's so hard to tell what she's thinking.

Nnnnheh... oh god, the silence is killing me. I should say something. S-should I say something?

"M. Marino! H-how have you been?" thisisabadidea "I uhm, haven't seen you since." whywouldisaythataggh "Er, what are you... working on?" I look at the crumpled piece of paper, tossed to the floor. "Haha, my own piece is, hm, rather dreadful!" don'tshowhimthathe'sanactualartistit'shorrible

I proffer the painting I'm working on, forcing myself to put on what I hope is a winning and friendly smile. "I'd, erm, love to hear whatever it is you're writing. A-afterwards." waitREPHRASETHAT "I-I mean, during lunch or s-s-similar!" Wow, nice save, Orelia! That sounded perfectly innocent! And now I'm blushing, that's sure to help matters greatly!!

gently caress. He m-must think I'm an idiot.

Turn on Marino: 2d6+1 8

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Marino

I look up as Orelia suddenly gets up and takes the chair next to me. Huh... what was that about? She brings with her a whiff of her perfume. I haven't really spoken to her much, since, well, the party. I don't remember much of it. The sound of music, the smell of that perfume, and things were, warm, soft and... so easy, so normal.

Then there is some distraction as Rico is getting a bit violent with Umberto. Apparently Umberto was looking in a creepy way? And then I feel these clothing chafe again and...Oh... I lean a bit further forward, suddenly made aware of another reason humans wear clothes.

All right, don't look in creepy ways. Why is she sitting next to me? Does she like me? Or... wait, no, she's sitting next to her friend Marina. I mean, we barely knew each other before that party. Maybe she doesn't even remember it at all and...

Or maybe not? "Oh... it's eh... just, you know, some thoughts on clothes and nakedness. About how humans are the only ones to wear clothing. It's not... really poetry or anything. I'm not... that good with writing." I look at her, my eyes now and then going to that smile and the lips. I absentmindedly run a finger over my own.

My eyes are removed from her towards her painting though, and I try to focus on it. I smile. "I like it. You know, you made it a bit simpler, and they all look nice when you don't show all the details and just get a general shape. Like, if you don't focus on the bad things, everyone is beautiful? But what do the signs mean?" I point at the little symbol written with each of them. "But it's beautiful. I wish I could draw. There's a lot of beauty here. I'm glad I came. And yes, we can talk about it while having lunch."

All right, I think I'm doing well. I spy Antonio looking. He's probably just making sure I don't accidentally reveal myself, right? Or is what he's doing the creepy look? I don't know.

I'll give Orelia a string on Marino. Then, I'll return some awkward flirting. Turn on Orelia: 2d6 7

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Teodora

What does one do when someone is spiting you? Spite them right back, that's what.

I ignore the petty exclusions of Arlenna (That girl ought to be spending more time reigning in her fiance, not her horses) and walk over to Lia. A party with Arlenna would be torturous anyway.

Besides, I can always just follow Morgie there if I change my mind...

"Lia..." I brush back my flaxen hair, and then brush out my skirt (scandalously rising it) as I kneel to whisper in her ear. "Who has irritated you so, my sweet? I will find them and make them bleed for the crime of lining your lovely face..."

I shiver a little with anticipation. God, I hope it was Arlenna.

KZA !r 2d6+1
05:58 Krysmbot KZA, 7+1 = 8 Turn On Lia

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Orelia Vignona
XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4

Marino runs his fingers over his lips -- I stare. For some reason I just can't seem to look anywhere else. That little gesture seems to last forever.

Oh, wait, he's still talking. Focus, focus! "Th, they're the uhm, the symbols of the Four Seasons, haha! Y-you see, there are these gods, one for each season, uhm, so, Anastasia here is supposed to b-be Taccia, goddess of w-winter. That's why there's s-snow around her feet..." I literally cannot believe how stupid I sound.

So kind of him to, hah, to pretend he's interested in me, in my pitiful little painting. Sweet boy. stopblushinggg I lean a little closer to him, smoothing out my blouse unthinkingly. He must feel so lonely here in Ceres, away from his family -- it's only common courtesy that I should h-help him to feel more at home...

By finding him a girlfriend, of course.

"M, Marina!" I pull back and turn to my friend. She's still looking unhappy with me, and just the thought of them together brings forth a strange pain in my chest... but... this is what I have to do. They'd, they'd be good for each other. "Y, you've met Marino, haven't you?" nonono "How would you like to, uhm, have lunch and discuss his a-a-art? I feel like you two would be, er, fast friends, haha!"

e: To clarify, that's me promising him something I think he wants.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 3, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Strings Chart

Orelia and Marino, Marina suddenly rises up from her seat, clearly flustering. Not quite what she expected there.

"Er, um, w-what? I-I don't want to-" She stares at Orelia disbelievingly, then sorta blushes at Marino. "I mean, I would want to have lunch, but, um... that is to say..." She nervously taps her index fingers together, at an immediate loss for words.

What do you both do?

Morgiana, Arlena looks very pleased to hear that. That pleasure quickly dissipates though, when she notices Teodora trot off to Lia's side.

"I was hoping to get that little flirt there even a little jealous." She crosses her arms. "Can you believe she tried to go after my fiance, singing a song in front of him? And now she's dallying with... peasantry. No shame. It's like we're the anchors of decency in this maelstrom."

Arlena brushes her hair back and focuses on you again. What do you do?

Teodora, Lia looks very happy to see you, even while she makes the last brush stroke on her canvas. It's a painting of the models, though her color palette is full of blacks, greys, and reds, and it looks... quite violent.

"Signore Terridore admonished me this morning for starting a fight. He said that I'm this close to being cast out of academy for my behavior. But did Falmar's older brother get any reprimand? Of course not. He only called my mother a whore. I answered with my fist, clearly I'm the foul one."

She sighs. "I'm sorry. It's not easy to adjust here, I know. I lash out." She reaches to grab on to your hand. "Don't worry, I have this taken care of."

But what do you do?

Cristofero, Madonna sees through the meaning of your words and openly scoffs. "Well!" She says, turning away to focus on her painting again. "No small wonder that your only friends are Rico and I." She looks clearly hurt by the insinuation though, so her words don't carry her earlier bite. Goodness.

It's very fortunate that Rico doesn't notice this exchange by the time he returns from chastising Umberto. He leans in from your left enough to obstruct your vision, as he spies who you're painting.

"Lucia de Salini, eh?" He elbows your side a few times. "Not bad, what about her catches your eye?"

Kwaku, Uma takes back her sketch, softly smiling back at you. She looks and acts pretty much the opposite of Bianca, rather mousy and reserved.

"Thanks." She whispers. "Er... it's not really that good, I think. But if you want me to show you how I do it... coffee, then." She thinks about it deeply. It feels like she could probably do with a bit more convincing. What do you do?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Teodora

"Hmm..." Teodora takes the hand, leans in close. "Who is Falmar's brother, again? It sounds to me as if you need..." She grins. "A champion." She raises a hand to stop Lia's immediate distaste. "A silly noble's farce, I know, but Signore Terridore cannot cast you out if Falmar's brother, whatever his useless name is, is stabbed badly in a duel for a lady's honor... He has insulted me by insulting you, my dove. I will make him pay."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Morgiana Amiot of Volans

"Oh, let's not hold too much against Lia. When everyone else is doing something, you want to do it too." I'll be honest, I almost chuckled at my own joke. If Ottavio wasn't two seats away I probably would have. But I admonished him for laughing at his own jokes barely two days ago and quite frankly I would never hear the end of it if I did the same. Instead, I just smile and continue.

"But really, I do not get what everyone seems to see in Teodora. Her blade isn't that quick, her looks aren't that great, and she is certainly no great poet." I'm not nearly gauche enough to say that to her face, of course. But if I got a bit too enthusiastic in telling this to Arlena, if I raised my voice slightly more than is necessary, can anyone really blame me for my youthful rivalries? It isn't my fault if she overheard. (I hope she overheard. I hope that she overheard more than I want to admit.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Christofero D'Ammollo

Madonna's mention of "friends" stings a little, I admit. I bite my lip a bit as she turns back to her painting. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I'd made it out to be...? Did I go too far in the differences--

Rico comes over and interrupts my chain of thought with his elbow in my ribs. Perhaps it is for the best that I have something to focus on. His question is slightly less for the best. I cannot well say that she reminds me of someone long dead, can I? But I tell something else to Rico, will Lucia take offense? I'm not sure what to say next, so what comes out is uncertainty.

"Ah, she...looks different from the models, I suppose? It's an interesting contrast?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Marino

Eh... that's... something of a shift in mood. I think I'm looking as surprised at the whole thing as Marina does. Doesn't sound very pleased by it either. What is happening? Is this some kind of joke she's pulling off? Is she maybe angry about the clothes? Or maybe she thinks if it's just the two of us I'll do things I'm not supposed to and she wants a third there? I'll ask Antonio later. Or maybe Lucia? She might know a lot about how these things work.

Still, for now, I just smile, trying not to let too much confusion show. Just... act normal. "That sounds fun. We can talk about the things we wrote then." Then I see Antonio behind them. If he's there, he can tell me if I do something wrong. Besides, he's still my friend, right? "Antonio, do you want to come along for lunch as well?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Orelia Vignona
XP 1/5 | Harm 0/4

W-what? Oh no, I've ruined everything! My smile is starting to slip. "I, uh, well, I thought --" They're all looking at me, what do I say? I thought they'd both be interested, wh --

Realization dawns. I glance at Marino... then at Antonio. OH. "W, ehm, t-that sounds like lots of fun, haha! It'll be the uhm, the four of us!!" I'm relieved to have read the situation so accurately, but there's still that dull electrical feeling of terror. A terrible m-mistake, narrowly avoided! A part of my brain which is currently whirling frantically at the idea of such a, uhm, libertine relationship, but I shove it into the background. Now is not the time to be judgmental!!!

I should show Marina that I've finally figured things out, she must think me such a dullard to have missed it, ehehh. I scoot closer to her, give her my best winning smile, then clasp her hand and try to gently pull her back to her seat. Crisis over: I've fixed it!

megane fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Kwaku Nkrumah Nsiah
Xp 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Conditions:

"Well, if you have a place you'd rather go instead, or after, I'm also amenable to that, signora. I'm sure you know Ceres far better than I do. Truly, I must admit I would be honoured if you were to spare your time to show me around." She may be mousy, but even a mouse will turn on you if it feels cornered; so he elects instead to let her set the pace.

• Locked thread