Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
In the last episode of https://atp.fm, one of the hosts (can't remember which) mentioned in an early experience using Apple Pay, he still had to sign his name after paying with the phone. Is that supposed to be an option as part of the process, or was this a case of a rogue (or improperly set up) merchant? If it is an acceptable option, is it temporary, or will it go away with time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011

Pissingintowind posted:

Signature is typically required for transactions over $50 or if the merchant has not opted into the signature-free options available from the various networks (who all have different rules). All of the standard CVMs (PIN, Signature, and no CVM for small ticket transactions) can be used with Apple Pay.

Is there at minimum a way for the terminals to have some kind of logic programmed that "hey, this purchase was authorized by Touch ID" and turn the signature requirement off for just that >$50 purchase? I guess I can understand the signature if you're paying with an Apple Watch (which has no Touch ID) or if you pay on a phone with your passcode (I'm not actually sure if this is an option as I don't have an iPhone 6, but I assume it's possible). But if you need to sign for all purchases over $50, no matter what, at a largish number of merchants, that negatively impacts the gee-whiz nature of Apple Pay quite a bit. I mean, if you're buying thousands of dollars of something, I don't think transaction speed is very important, but I regularly clear $50 when getting groceries. And if I'm going to need to authorize the purchase in a medium outside the phone anyway, I'd almost prefer to just be able to wave the phone at the NFC reader.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
I've heard a lot about chip + PIN, is NFC + PIN a thing?

• Locked thread