Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hey cool a S-K thread! So I snagged a ticket to the Denver show, my buddy procrastinated and didn't get one. So if there's any goons in Denver going to S-K and don't mind a tag-along (who is a generally pretty decent guy and also good for a few rounds of drinks), shoot me a PM :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I like Bury Our Friends better but this is a solid tune as well. If it can even come close to The Woods, I'll be giddy with glee.

(Yes, I know I need to change my avatar)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hrm. Very different. Their take on an AOR / Stadium Rock sound?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

If you loved Dig Me Out, give The Hot Rock a spin next.

Huh, really? I'd say Call the Doctor is closer in sound and style to Dig Me Out. I love The Hot Rock but it's a fairly big departure from the intense punk they played before then.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Progressing through their work chronologically (skip the self-titled now, it's an artifact of its time and doesn't really bear much of a resemblance to what came later) is the best way to go. Dig Me Out or The Woods are basically the albums you'll hear people say are the best, and since they're at opposite ends of the career just go through them chronologically. I think The Hot Rock and One Beat are two of their weaker albums, since they're clearly transitional albums to my ears. They're very good albums but they occupy weird places in the S-K discography, so this helps place them in context.

Wow, interesting how varied opinions are. I too have The Woods as 1 and Dig Me Out as 1a, but have Hot Rock and One Beat tied for #2, just a tiny bit below those two. Self-titled and All Hands are by far my least favorites. Hell, my favorite song off the self-titled is Lora's Song, lol.

edit:

Also, in reference to this post of mine from last year:

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey cool a S-K thread! So I snagged a ticket to the Denver show, my buddy procrastinated and didn't get one. So if there's any goons in Denver going to S-K and don't mind a tag-along (who is a generally pretty decent guy and also good for a few rounds of drinks), shoot me a PM :)

I have good news. I have since garnered a girlfriend and while she is on the fence about S-K, she's definitely going to the concert with me, already bought her ticket. So I won't be that one weird guy standing by himself off to the side :shobon:

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 21, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

^^ You're crazy, The Woods is amaaaazing.

Real Name Grover posted:

Well I <will> be at the Slowdown that night with friends but feel free to PM me since you're into decent music and throwball and all that, man.

E: And S-K will be one of limited # of bands for which I'll make an effort to get as close to the stage as possible. Which, granted, isn't much of a feat at Slowdown because of the layout, but still.

How is the Slowdown for concerts? I've only been there to drink and play board games, never saw a show there, and now that I live in Colorado I dunno that I ever will. Seemed a decent venue and an adequate replacement for Sokol (where I saw S-K on The Woods tour).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

O2 for Denver pls

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Pretty similar set in Denver, with Dig Me Out subbed in for Joey Ramona in the encore and no Light Rail Coyote. Maybe another song or two were added and they're just not coming to mind? Otherwise I guess it was a bit shorter set.

More thoughts later once I'm not typing on a tablet.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Denver setlist:

Price Tag
Ironclad
Fangless
Get Up
Surface Envy
Oh!
No Anthems
Start Together
No Cities to Love
What's Mine Is Yours
A New Wave
Words and Guitar
One Beat
Bury Our Friends
(dedicated to David Carr)
All Hands on the Bad One
Little Babies
Entertain
Jumpers

Encore:
Gimme Love
Call the Doctor
One More Hour
Modern Girl
Dig Me Out

Differences from Boise:
+Ironclad
+Little Babies
-I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
-Light Rail Coyote

Not a huge fan of Ironclad and really don't like Little Babies, but eh ... neither is my dream setlist (which would surely include O2, Burn Don't Freeze, Turn It On, and The Fox)(e: and Dance Song 97)

This was my second time seeing them in concert, so the following is based on a very small sample size ... but I feel like S-K is better as a studio band. Both times I've seen them (Denver 2015, Omaha 2005) their performance felt somewhat by the numbers, perfunctory. Compared to something like The White Stripes which I saw in 04 or 05 in Kansas City, it's night and day. Even if you're not a fan of The White Stripes, the sheer energy put into their live shows commands respect and admiration. The best live shows just have energy pouring off the stage and being returned by the audience, and the band exploring the songs in ways the album versions only hinted at. Really didn't get that from S-K in either show, with a couple exceptions -- for Gimme Love, Corin turned her guitar duties over to that UK gal they have touring with them and just sang, and the energy level was much higher when she could focus on vocals. And No Anthems was another highlight. Fangless too. I'd say in general, they clearly enjoyed playing the new material much more.

Anyway, still a huge fan and my non-fan girlfriend really enjoyed it too, with her favorite being Modern Girl.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 14, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

They played "Turn It On" in the encore

:smith:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What's the percussive instrument in Hot Rock that sounds somewhere between a cowbell and fingers snapping?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Golbez posted:

Sounds like just a wooden block to me.

Sounds sharper and shorter than I remember the wood block sounding from my grade school days but I suppose there's all different types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The more I listen to it (and I've been basically listening to it non-stop for the last couple days), the more I think Fangless may be the best song they've ever written. Is there any consensus as to whether it's about someone in particular?

• Locked thread