Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metallian
May 29, 2003

So Sub-Pop got me the No Cities LP early and I've run through it a couple of times.

I feel like there's a lot of anticipation and righteous indie fervor at work here, but is the best thing they've ever done?

i came into the SK camp after The Woods and one of the things I like about them most is that they've had such a satisfying "character arc" as a band. Dirty garage punk into pop-friendly musicality that lost none of the incisiveness or drive. Growing up on All Hands without petering out or becoming something else. I'm still not sure I know how good One Beat is, and then going bonkers in the best way with The Woods.

Then ten years. Then No Cities. This record feels like everything above distilled into one of the most consistent and thrilling albums... ever? I love the relentless pace, the conciseness. The guitar sound that manages to not give a poo poo and still be perfectly focused. There's some really J Mascis-level riff work here, but never on a self-indulgent scale. Corin has only gotten better as a singer, somehow, perhaps not a surprise hearing her solo outfit. I get as much of a thrill hearing Carrie lead vocals. She's taken a hushed monotone made it into her own punk-pop dialect that drips confidence. Janet, who I'm convinced leapt fully formed, sticks in hand, from the head of Zeus after he ate a pile of metronomes, or something. No slow tracks, no filler. Most of side B gives me goosebumps.

Like, I'm a shameless superfan and all that poo poo but goddamn. Just buy this poo poo if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallian
May 29, 2003

ThePutty posted:

just go from call the doctor upwards, they make more sense if you listen to them progress by each successive album

Gotta agree with this, once you have the bug it is interesting to chart their development through the albums.

regulargonzalez posted:

Huh, really? I'd say Call the Doctor is closer in sound and style to Dig Me Out. I love The Hot Rock but it's a fairly big departure from the intense punk they played before then.

Call the Doctor and Dig Me Out are very similar in style, save for the addition of Janet, but i'd agree that The Hot Rock is a really natural follow-up to Dig, which takes a bit of a turn on the flip, and gets more subtle for side B. If you listen to Dig and Hot one after the other it feels like a really smooth transition.

Dig Me Out and All Hands on the Bad One were the first ones I really took to myself. I think the only really divisive albums are the first self-titled, which is very raw and basic, and The Woods, which treads deeply into art-rock territory. On a reverse trajectory, I'd say that One Beat has a lot of the same focus and energy as No Cities.

In any case this album loving rips and I could listen to Fade about a million times and I am very happy.

• Locked thread