Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

When I was a kid I used to buy strategy guides a lot. A lot of them seem to be not very helpful, though. I remember in Chrono Cross there was this fight the guide hyped as insanely difficult (F.A.T.E.) that I've never had any trouble with, whereas other fights that I actually could have used some hints for they refused to print anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

For example, in order to get the good ending in Chrono Cross you have to fight the final boss, and then cast spells in a specific order, and then cast the Chrono Cross spell. The guide absolutely refused to tell you what the specific order was, with the person who wrote the guide instead printing some rambling note about how you would know it if you paid attention. It's not hard to figure out, but it's loving dumb to not print it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I want to end this person's life, specifically because they called Zelda a role playing game.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

*Bursts into thread out of breath*

Has anyone said FF9 yet? I heard that guide required you to use the internet. What the fuckballs?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

there's this dude on gamefaqs who writes loads of jrpg faqs and literally every one is 'get to this OP spot and grind for ten hours until you're max level and can pointlessly faceroll everything', i really wanna punch him

There are an insane number of GameFAQs guides like that. Or ones that say "To beat this boss you must deplete his health. goodluck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Ferroque posted:

my roommate has the WoW strategy guide from when vanilla launched. i'm pretty sure it was out of date when the game launched

If it's the same one I'm thinking of one of my friends had it and it contains a bunch of Penny Arcade comics. I made fun of him for owning it.

• Locked thread