Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ninotoreS posted:

I'm a massive Dark Souls fan, and I'm not particularly impressed with this.

A more generic, more casual-oriented (No invasions? Designated, optional 'tryhard' zones?) knock-off of FromSoft's style will only serve to constantly remind most people that what they're playing isn't actually a FromSoft game.

I'm pretty sure this is a good thing and is intentional, because it's obvious the game is not trying to be Dark Souls, it's just using some of Dark Souls' core mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While I can understand being skeptical of this game, I think it's really weird people are using Dark Souls as a model of restraint and realism in its weapon and armour design. I mean sure there's a lot of 'believable' stuff in there, but ultra greatswords in one hand? Massive armour made out of rock? Massive axes created from the corpses of dragons that bellow flame with every swing?

:psyduck:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'd play a blatant DS rip-off at this point, assuming it's similar in difficulty as well? In the videos I've seen so far people have been mostly owning the content, which is not what I'm looking for in this type of game (I never liked games like GoW that make you feel powerful with minimal effort).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ninotoreS posted:

I'm a massive Dark Souls fan, and I'm not particularly impressed with this.

A more generic, more casual-oriented (No invasions? Designated, optional 'tryhard' zones?) knock-off of FromSoft's style will only serve to constantly remind most people that what they're playing isn't actually a FromSoft game.

And then they'll eventually give up, uninstall/eject and continue waiting for Bloodborne.

I'm sorry, I really am, because obviously I'd rather be able to enjoy something than not be able to, but this definitely feels like an 'accept no substitutes' situation for me.

Casuals! :argh:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Double Bill posted:

I'd play a blatant DS rip-off at this point, assuming it's similar in difficulty as well? In the videos I've seen so far people have been mostly owning the content, which is not what I'm looking for in this type of game (I never liked games like GoW that make you feel powerful with minimal effort).
Yeah, that's was my main detraction as well from wanting to play the game. Demon/Dark Souls drew me in with not only the lore, but the fun of having to figure out a difficult encounter. If you remove the difficult encounter and just kinda have a half rear end lore system with a super glossy coat on top of it then that would bore me personally. Also the hour long stream I saw of the first bit of the game have the most boring enemy design I've seen and the most boring combat I've seen in a while accented with some lovely particle effects. Granted they also got lost in the dark corridors and seem to not think there was a parry system, but I get a feeling overall that it's only a marketing push to refer to this as another ultra popular fantasy action title.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd love for there to be more Souls-likes, but I'm not really hankering for something that seems like a straight up bootleg. This does not look like a game that has any sort of identity on its own, it just seems like the equivalent of Dante's Inferno to From Soft's God of War. There's not a long time 'till Bloodborne is out, so it's gotta be really special to get my attention, pretty much.

On a surface level I just wish they'd done one thing that's dramatically different, like make it first person or something.

I'm super glad its not first person, but if they did that then it'd just be a king's field clone instead of a dark souls clone.

But again, look at the FPS genre. Some games are really similar, some are really different. Sometimes small tweaks matter, or just getting more of the same is nice. Things that are really different are cool too, but I loving love me some dark souls and I want more things that are pretty much just like it. Bloodborne is gonna be cool but super similar, and I want more developers doing the same.

Double Bill posted:

The people who have played it so far have only been super hardcore dark souls fans and the game developers. Naturally they're going to make it look easy. Also we've only seen the very first zone, which is going to be designed to ease players in to the game.

Imagine how easy Dark Souls 2 would look now watching one of us play through forest of fallen giants. It looks pathetic.

That said, overall lords is supposed to be a bit more forgiving than dark souls. But there's going to be lots of optional difficulty, which is really cool.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I played it at Comic Con this year, and it felt like a very generic cash-in on the popularity of the Souls games' formula. It felt clunky, slow, and unsatisfying. The boss I fought was obnoxious in that "hey look at me! I'm hard for the sake of being hard!" kind of way. 1 attack worth of opening for like 15 seconds of dodging around his extremely telegraphed attacks. He had so much hp it was just tedious.

I can see why people would be hyped for a different dev's take on this kind of game, but this ain't what you're looking for.

edit: The graphics were pretty nice, though. Just makes me more excited for Bloodborne.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Darke GBF posted:

I played it at Comic Con this year, and it felt like a very generic cash-in on the popularity of the Souls games' formula. It felt clunky, slow, and unsatisfying. The boss I fought was obnoxious in that "hey look at me! I'm hard for the sake of being hard!" kind of way. 1 attack worth of opening for like 15 seconds of dodging around his extremely telegraphed attacks. He had so much hp it was just tedious.

I can see why people would be hyped for a different dev's take on this kind of game, but this ain't what you're looking for.

edit: The graphics were pretty nice, though. Just makes me more excited for Bloodborne.

Again, take the time to watch the Vaati video if you feel that way. Just about everybody has said they thought it was sucky at first, but once you get deeper into it and accept it for what it is, its very fun.

And also look at the first level of Dark Souls 1 and 2. They're extremely easy and stupid if you know what you're doing. Those parts are designed to help the people who haven't played a souls game before get into playing a souls game. The first two bosses are both tutorials. Obviously that's going to be boring if you're a diehard souls fan.

But if you're already good, you should blow through those parts to the harder stuff. And cutscenes are skippable if that's not your thing.

Its just the preview build had only the beginning tutorial part of the game.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't think anyone in this thread:

1.) has the illusion this is somehow replacing Souls games.
2.) thinks this will be better than a Souls game.

It just looks like a cool action/adventure game to me. Is that okay? I have a feeling the same people making GBS threads on this game were the ones rolling their eyes at Dark Souls II. Pretty funny that how someone said that Souls games have restrained equipment in it and that combat isn't the best part of it. Maybe not for you, but combat is absolutely the best part of Souls games for me. Everything is nice and chunky, weighty, and controls beautifully. I think what I'm trying to say is to be less like Games Forum, Games Forum. This game might just be tolerable.

I'm not wanting to play this because it's "more Dark Souls", I want to play it because some company was actually inspired by how loving awesome Souls games are and want to do something similar. To call it a "copycat" in this generation of gaming is ridiculous. I'd much rather they ape Souls games than loving GTA or COD like last gen.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 25, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread:

1.) has the illusion this is somehow better or replacing Souls games.
2.) thinks this will be better than a Souls game.

It just looks like a cool action/adventure game to me. Is that okay? I have a feeling the same people making GBS threads on this game were the ones rolling their eyes at Dark Souls II. Pretty funny that how someone said that Souls games have restrained equipment in it and that combat isn't the best part of it. Maybe not for you, but combat is absolutely the best part of Souls games for me. Everything is nice and chunky, weighty, and controls beautifully. I think what I'm trying to say is to be less like Games Forum, Games Forum. This game might just be tolerable.

The game is not exactly like Souls therefore it is complete garbage, duh.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, why can't it be exactly like a Souls game?
Yeah, why can't it be original and not ripoff a Souls game?
Main character has a beard and isn't a translucent fish-lipped anime character like in a Souls game, this is hyper masculine bro poo poo.
Also it's a ripoff of Warcraft art designs.
Everything is easy except for the hard parts which are tryhard. (All Souls areas are superhard but not tryhard)
Bosses scream "look at me". (Souls games have very subtle enemy design)
This is for casuals because it doesn't have online. (It's not hardcore unless I can duel on a bridge)
Clearly the combat is not the best part of Souls... I guess it's the story you read from item descriptions.
:downs:

I predict this game will drop, probably get like a metacritic of 65-75, and be quickly forgotten. It will also probably be pretty fun and an okay experience.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 25, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darke GBF posted:

"hey look at me! I'm hard for the sake of being hard!"

The funny part to me is where you say the game is trying be hard for the sake of being hard and saying that makes it bad, but also saying dark souls games are good.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Main character has a beard and isn't a translucent fish-lipped anime character like in a Souls game, this is hyper masculine bro poo poo.
Everything is easy except for the hard parts which are tryhard. (All Souls areas are superhard but not tryhard)
This is for casuals because it doesn't have online. (It's not hardcore unless I can duel on a bridge)
Clearly the combat is not the best part of Souls... I guess it's the story you read from item descriptions.

Several different people made completely different negative observations therefore they're all idiots.

I think you're projecting a bit too much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roflan posted:

Several different people made completely different negative observations therefore they're all idiots.

They are all idiots tho

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Roflan posted:

The idiotic part is their observations tend to be stuff that's already in the loving Souls games.

Maybe the controls in this game are slippery garbage and it will suck, but I think it's kind of stupid and kneejerky to go as far as "this character has a beard" or "this entire game that I haven't played is too easy".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Roflan posted:

Yeah but they are all idiots. All of those things in his post are things people have really said and they're all dumb statements for their own reasons.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I think most of us are trying to temper any excitement because it could very easily be poo poo. Or it could be very easy to get over excited about it.

If nothing else, I'm downplaying it because I know very well I won't be spending over a thousand hours playing it as I have the Souls games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roflan posted:

I think most of us are trying to temper any excitement because it could very easily be poo poo. Or it could be very easy to get over excited about it.

If nothing else, I know very well I won't be spending over a thousand hours playing it as I have the Souls games.

Well duh, it has no online components. Hopefully it'll do well enough for a sequel where they can try their hand at that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
This is exactly the kind of response I expected :v: Maybe it's just not for the super hardcore of you, saying the game sucks because it's not hard enough is all kinds of dumb.

My friend had a lot of problems with the difficulty of Dark Souls but he enjoyed the combat a lot so this seems like something he'd play. Hell, I can't wait to play it myself and I'm obviously fan of the Souls games, too. The combat and mechanics are the number one thing why I enjoy the games and watching about an hour of the various videos, it seems like it got most of it right, some things even better (impactfulness [is that a word?] and hit sounds).

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Roflan posted:

If nothing else, I know very well I won't be spending over a thousand hours playing it as I have the Souls games.

This is probably true. This game will probably just be like a 9-12 hour game and since it doesn't have an online portion and stuff it won't hold your attention as long as the (let's face it, masterful) Souls games. Maybe it'll open the door to more companies wanting to give us difficult action games with good physics and hit detection with set rules both the player and the enemy have to follow. Maybe it'll get a really gnarly sequel. I think some of the complaints are both unwarranted and nitpicky.

I'd really like to see a Western take on the game. Like someone said, give me a SciFi Souls-alike. I'd play the poo poo out of it. Give me a modern pseudo-sequel to Condemned with Souls combat. I'd play the poo poo out of it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I eagerly await the reviews of you day/week one buyers.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I played the poo poo out of every Souls games. I will pick this up, and if it sucks, I'll be the first to say it.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I'll consider Lords of the Fallen a major success as long as it doesn't have any platforming. The biggest complaint I have about the Souls game is their pseudo platforming, because it sucks. Precarious ledges are fine but I hate tight-rope walking and their "jumping".

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I predict this game will drop, probably get like a metacritic of 65-75, and be quickly forgotten. It will also probably be pretty fun and an okay experience.

Sounds pretty spot on to me.

I can already imagine the reviewers rolling their eyes and letting out a heavy sigh before proceeding to describe the pauldrons, lamenting the fact that alas, Lords of the Fallen is not DEEP and REFINED enough to make the cut. :mmmhmm:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
We've reached maximum generic video game protagonist, jesus christ. Looks...kinda fun though, in a weird budget title sort of way

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

If I can't undermine the cutscenes and story by customizing my character to look like he's wearing a giant onion on his head and butterfly wings then I'm not interested.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I went ahead and pre-ordered because apparently I hate money. I'll be happy to post day-1 honest reviews as a dark souls regular.

Roflan posted:

I'll consider Lords of the Fallen a major success as long as it doesn't have any platforming. The biggest complaint I have about the Souls game is their pseudo platforming, because it sucks. Precarious ledges are fine but I hate tight-rope walking and their "jumping".

Sadly that's one thing ENB criticized, apparently the game does have some platforming and its pretty gnarly just like dark souls platforming. :ohdear: hopefully the rest of the game doesn't have much.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Firstborn posted:

Like Dishonored I will buy this for 3 dollars at a Steam Christmas sale 2 years from now and probably have a shitload of fun playing through it once and then never pick it up again.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Like Dishonored I will buy this for 3 dollars at a Steam Christmas sale 2 years from now and probably have a shitload of fun playing through it once and then never pick it up again.

Bloodborne 2 will be out by then, though!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Firstborn posted:

/\/\/\ No, it kind of is. The inspiration is pretty drat clear.

People keep saying this but that doesnt make it true

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
You're blind or dumb, then. Probably both.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

lordfrikk posted:

You're blind or dumb, then. Probably both.

Same??

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

poptart_fairy posted:

While I can understand being skeptical of this game, I think it's really weird people are using Dark Souls as a model of restraint and realism in its weapon and armour design. I mean sure there's a lot of 'believable' stuff in there, but ultra greatswords in one hand? Massive armour made out of rock? Massive axes created from the corpses of dragons that bellow flame with every swing?

:psyduck:
Some of the equipment was weird, but really only the blatantly supernatural stuff. The point is, if you want to, you can outfit yourself to look like you actually plan to get into a fight, not play trick-or-treat. That's a rarity in the genre these days.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Yeah the game may turn out to be fine, but the art style is boring garbage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another improvement it has over the Souls games; you don't hold your shield like a retard.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't understand where "demon's souls knock-off" comes from, but if this qualifies as one then every single oldschool FPS I've ever played has been a Doom knock-off and every single modern one has been a Call of Duty knock-off. Seriously it's silly how incredibly similar almost all first person shooters are now, to the point where that genre has been refined and re-refined over and over and over, and it's enough to throw in a few slightly different mechanics with the exact same basic gameplay to keep a shooter considered unique.

But a game in almost any other genre that takes inspiration from a similar game risks getting berated as a "clone," "knock-off," etc when the difference between this and demon's souls is far greater than the difference between most popular first person shooters. You could do the same thing to the 3rd person action genre as happened to FPSes and wind up with 100 different games all of high quality, but when there's only a couple games of a certain style, you can't go anywhere near them or you're ripping them off. There's so much room for experimentation and improvement in this genre and I'm glad someone is actually trying, because a whole lot of people don't want there to be more good games or something.

There are some things about lords of the fallen that I don't like from what I've seen (having to be Protagonist Brodude instead of making your own character, story nonsense, the classes apparently not being very balanced, the janky-looking camera, this) but none of them have to do with the fact that "it's too much like dark souls" / "it's not enough like dark souls". It really looks fairly ambitious to me because I haven't seen any games with this style of combat besides the souls games. Maybe it will be garbage, maybe it won't, but don't write it off just based on similarity to another game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That seems to be a thing that happens to games inspired by genre-defining games like Doom or GTA.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

What if I am turned on by shoulderpads? what then souls fans?!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Don't care what anybody says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Don't care what anybody says.

Until they added Artorias' Set Raime's Set in DS2 I was wearing Alonne Captain's set on my main character. Aw yeah. :cool:

• Locked thread