Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

hows it feel to not know anything

here are the things i like about the game:
1. the environments. the feeling. i feel like i'm a gross old man in a spooky building in ancient europa.
2. ???

here are the things i don't like:
1. it doesn't run above 20 fps on my ps4

Enough with the shitposting dude we're sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
The game does not run above 20 frames per second on my playstation 4 system that is the newer Destiny White model, when I am in combat with an enemy

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
Echoing the performance problems on consoles for the nth time. Just got to a boss fight on PS4 and when a certain spell is cast along with mobs the framerate tanks to single digits and becomes a slideshow. I blame myself for not getting it on PC but in my old age I've become rather fond of my couch. Once again the first major patch (5 gigs) has not helped.

It's definitely a more arcadey Dark Souls and I really hope performance is fixed soon...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
If you would rather I not discuss technical issues on console then I would like to point out that a friend of mine who has neither a PlayStation 4 or Xbox 3 system had purchased this for PC on the Steam platform, and he cannot even launch the game.

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The game does not run above 20 frames per second on my playstation 4 system that is the newer Destiny White model, when I am in combat with an enemy

Thanks for actually posting something of content in the thread. :confuoot:

Seriously, though, I was wanting to get this on my PS4, so everyone posting impressions of the technical side of things for the console versions is doing a great service to me and anyone else on the fence. Sorry you guys had to step on the landmine first, though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
game is awesome

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I will state however that popular Dark Souls streamer and speedrunner Lobos Jr enjoys this game and plays it on the Personal Computer running Windows 7 Operating System and has no troubles whatsoever, but I don't trust him

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I will state however that popular Dark Souls streamer and speedrunner Lobos Jr enjoys this game and plays it on the Personal Computer running Windows 7 Operating System and has no troubles whatsoever, but I don't trust him

Please stop.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
:siren: Highlighting this once more for PC, especially AMD, users. :siren:

quote:

Right click on Lords of the Fallen in your Steam library, click Properties and then click "Browse local files"

Open up the "settings.ini" file with Notepad (or your favorite editor)

Set apex_gpu_support_enabled to FALSE
max_frame_rate should be set at least at 60 if you have the power
vsync to FALSE (unless you experience heavy tearing, but I haven't noticed any)

Start up the game and see if that helps any

Also, AMD released new beta drivers about two days ago, try those out if you don't have them already installed (make sure to CLEAN off your old drivers real well).

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
These crashes are killing me ugh. Even pulling it down to High didn't really help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AMD cards tend to have some issues with PhysX (An NVIDIA technology I believe) so this would totally make sense and could save some people.

I'll add it to the op.

PS4 issues could also be related, hopefully they can push a patch that just disables the physics effects for console. They're really cool but its not game-changing. HOPEFULLY its something that simple, and the console versions aren't just borked. :ohdear:

Also hearing some people having serious issues getting the PC version to work.

Foxhound posted:

These crashes are killing me ugh. Even pulling it down to High didn't really help.

Try Medium, the game is really graphically intensive. And/or try poptart_fairy's fix to disable PhysX effects, that should help loads.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So much for preordering being worth it, eh?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the developers of this video game may have no idea what they are doing and only tested specific high-end system setups they knew that they would be using completely failing to take into account the lower specs of console platforms or more generally-available personal computer specifications much like ea and dice did wheb mirrors edge would not work on systems running amd/ati video cards hecause physx could not be disabled

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Rock Paper Shotgun just posted their take on the PC version. Opening paragraph:

quote:

Lords of the Fallen is the first of what will surely be many clones of the Souls games – which is great! I adore the Souls series and think the action-RPG genre could learn a tonne from them. Lords of the Fallen, unfortunately, is not the brightest child in the class, and more to the point the PC version is currently in a right old state. Hero Harkyn faces tonnes of nasties, but the worst of the lot is the game itself.
Really hope the performance issues get cleared up. I was only mildly optimistic heading into release because while I do want more entries in this genre, the devs' track record wasn't great and the specific decisions they seemed to be making came across as less than inspired.

With any luck it will eventually be a playable, slightly braindead game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the developers of this video game may have no idea what they are doing and only tested specific high-end system setups they knew that they would be using completely failing to take into account the lower specs of console platforms or more generally-available personal computer specifications

you play destiny so i am not sure i can trust your opinions

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Control Volume posted:

you play destiny so i am not sure i can trust your opinions

Destiny is not a good video game but at least I acknowledge it instead of trying desperately to justify my purchasing decisions to myself

I got it because I wanted the white ps4 and also wanted Destiny but even with all the hype I could tell it was bad from the start

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
So far the destiny technical problems have been server related because i doubt without microsoft backing them up bungie has any idea how to manage a persistent server architecture

But this?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dont try to defend your other bad video game in this bad video game thread

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I ended up finding a masked monk who seems to have given me a quest to find....sigils I think? And he gave me a ring which I equipped but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for or even a general area of where it is. I figured it would be in the general vicinity but I've scoured everywhere up until that lady who I give the daggers to and I've found nothing.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Holy poo poo this game needs 6GB of RAM minimum?

I guess that explains the loading times and choppyness but drat. It's not an ugly game but it's not really that impressive looking to justify the system requirements.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Small and Blue posted:

Holy poo poo this game needs 6GB of RAM minimum?

I guess that explains the loading times and choppyness but drat. It's not an ugly game but it's not really that impressive looking to justify the system requirements.

I think it looks every bit as good as like Arkham City or slightly worse than Shadow of Mordor.

They're a lesser developer so they're not as efficient. And 6GB isn't all that crazy these days, pretty drat affordable. But yeah, it does suck it isn't more efficient, especially if its causing issues for console.

I wonder how many people having issues just don't meet the minimum requirements...

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
The game runs great on PC. I've an amd card: once I updated my drivers, it was grand. I'm having fun so far, it reminds me of warhammer fantasy.

I'm at the second boss and only have two potions. I could've sworn I had three. I gave a potion to a monk, does that decrease your potion count permanently? I didn't want to help him that much!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

adamarama posted:

The game runs great on PC. I've an amd card: once I updated my drivers, it was grand. I'm having fun so far, it reminds me of warhammer fantasy.

I'm at the second boss and only have two potions. I could've sworn I had three. I gave a potion to a monk, does that decrease your potion count permanently? I didn't want to help him that much!

Oh wow, if giving him a potion is permanent that's a big deal.

I already found another potion in the first level, hidden :) Should I spoil its location for you?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I think it looks every bit as good as like Arkham City or slightly worse than Shadow of Mordor.

They're a lesser developer so they're not as efficient. And 6GB isn't all that crazy these days, pretty drat affordable. But yeah, it does suck it isn't more efficient, especially if its causing issues for console.

I wonder how many people having issues just don't meet the minimum requirements...

I'd wager I'm above minimum specs with a GTX 970 and 16 GB of ram. The bottleneck might be my i7 CPU, but it doesn't feel like it warrants the constant crashing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
zaphod stop dick riding the game in the RPS comments section

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, if giving him a potion is permanent that's a big deal.

I already found another potion in the first level, hidden :) Should I spoil its location for you?
You start with two, yes? Where's the hidden one? I may have gotten it already, not actually sure where i got the third. I'm definitely down to two now though, that monk owes me!

My game constantly crashed until I got the new and drivers. When in doubt, update. My rig's about a year old, not top of the line. The game runs really well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

adamarama posted:

You start with two, yes? Where's the hidden one? I may have gotten it already, not actually sure where i got the third. I'm definitely down to two now though, that monk owes me!

There's a section in the starting area before you get to the first boss, there's a half-closed gate with some boxes and barrels in front of it. You can smash the boxes and barrels, and then you can roll under the gate. Inside is a chest containing an empty potion.

CharlestonJew posted:

zaphod stop dick riding the game in the RPS comments section

I'll post whatever I drat well please, thanks. I usually agree with RPS but I disagreed with them heavily over shadow of mordor (great game) and I call em as I see em.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Control Volume posted:

dont try to defend your other bad video game in this bad video game thread

I'm not the one who brought up Destiny, a technically superior game to Lords of the Fallen, in a sweet attempt to own someone discussing technical issues

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The RockPaperShotgun review has some interesting things, but like, uh, I don't think "boss that shoots blades and summons smaller creatures for distractions" was made up by Dark Souls. Also I think it's kind of lovely journalism to take a quote from the Dark Souls design process and then just say hypothetically that Lords of the Fallen would be the opposite thing. I do agree that Luck is kind of a nebulous thing in RPG games as a stat, but, meh.

Edit: The guy also presents the "Diablo III aesthetic" as he calls it an objectively bad thing, when I don't particularly mind it.
Edit2: I expect this kind of backlash at a game wanting to be a "Souls clone", though. It's either too far removed or too close for people. Kind of reminds me of all the God of War-alikes. Some of them were okay, but you couldn't read any article without someone smugly pointing out that Kratos did it first.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 28, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I'm not the one who brrrfppph*pphhhhfffaaartz*

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I guess maybe the day one patch hit. I wish I knew how to check on my Xbox One. The framerate seems better. At least now when there's a fire source and an enemy on the screen, my FPS is ... well, borderline playable?

I've fought three bosses so far. All fights were fun in their own way and I really like the "kill a boss in a certain way and get a unique drop" mechanic. Like for instance, the third boss, Worshiper, occasionally summons adds. If you have him kill a certain number with his own attacks, you get a unique axe. Fun!

The game seems good, but man, maybe cut down on the loving filter effects next time, guys. It's nice to have obscene amounts of blur everywhere but it'd be nicer to have a playable framerate. If the game runs well on the PC, I could see myself really enjoying it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Updated the OP to warn people about the technical issues. Some people who definitely meet the minimum specs on PC are still having major issues, and consoles sound like they're in a terrible place right now.

Firstborn posted:

The RockPaperShotgun review has some interesting things, but like, uh, I don't think "boss that shoots blades and summons smaller creatures for distractions" was made up by Dark Souls. Also I think it's kind of lovely journalism to take a quote from the Dark Souls design process and then just say hypothetically that Lords of the Fallen would be the opposite thing. I do agree that Luck is kind of a nebulous thing in RPG games as a stat, but, meh.

Edit: The guy also presents the "Diablo III aesthetic" as he calls it an objectively bad thing, when I don't particularly mind it.
Edit2: I expect this kind of backlash at a game wanting to be a "Souls clone", though. It's either too far removed or too close for people. Kind of reminds me of all the God of War-alikes. Some of them were okay, but you couldn't read any article without someone smugly pointing out that Kratos did it first.

Yeah, I think its a pretty poor review. RPS hides behind "oh its just a wot I think not a review" any time that happens, which is kinda weak. They're usually pretty drat good, the only not-complete-shitheads in the game journalism department.

Their shadow of mordor review was equally terrible. Half the review was bitching about not getting an early-access review copy (really guys? That happens pretty often, as much as it sucks) and then the other half bitching about how orcs came back from the dead because they didn't understand the basic game mechanics yet. :rolleyes: If you'd only read their review, you'd think it was garbage, and IMO Shadow of Mordor is probably GOTY.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I think its a pretty poor review. RPS hides behind "oh its just a wot I think not a review" any time that happens, which is kinda weak. They're usually pretty drat good, the only not-complete-shitheads in the game journalism department.

RPS has been poo poo for a good long while now, exactly like most other gaming sites.
Hell, I'd even rate IGN above them at this point, so if they're taking a dump over this game it can't be that bad!

I'm gonna grab this first thing tomorrow morning, I'm just worried about performance. We'll see I guess. :shrug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd just like to once again rave about how good the animations are when you're in heavy armour. Every step feels really weighty and the larger weapons aren't wielded against your enemy so much as simply lifted up and dropped on them.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I already picked up my copy from Target but now I'm worried about hard fps drops :ohdear:

This is so good!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm a lot more inclined to trust overall community opinions than RPS here--I was pretty wary of their reviewer just from the preview they posted a week ago, because all he did was endlessly compare it to dark souls like everyone else on the planet and jesus I just want to read if the game's any good, not how much it is or isn't like this different game by different people. When I saw the same person would be doing their review I figured I'd need to get my opinions elsewhere, turns out my prediction was right.

It's good to know about the technical problems though. My system seems to be in the group that can supposedly handle the game ok (Windows 7 64 bit + nvidia GPU), but I'm not quite sure if I want to wait or not. Does anyone know this developer's track record for fixing technical problems?

It even looks like it's furiously typing.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Sorry, but that RPS review is pretty even-handed. Disagreeing with some of the opinions in it is one thing, but hyping the game in here before release, ignoring all flaws after release, and eagerly putting down the source of negative reviews is super weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm a lot more inclined to trust overall community opinions than RPS here--I was pretty wary of their reviewer just from the preview they posted a week ago, because all he did was endlessly compare it to dark souls like everyone else on the planet and jesus I just want to read if the game's any good, not how much it is or isn't like this different game by different people. When I saw the same person would be doing their review I figured I'd need to get my opinions elsewhere, turns out my prediction was right.

It's good to know about the technical problems though. My system seems to be in the group that can supposedly handle the game ok (Windows 7 64 bit + nvidia GPU), but I'm not quite sure if I want to wait or not. Does anyone know this developer's track record for fixing technical problems?

It even looks like it's furiously typing.

The developers track record is mostly pretty lovely games, so... its not great. I'm not sure if anybody even liked their previous games enough to ask for patches :cheeky: So we'll see?

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Sorry, but that RPS review is pretty even-handed. Disagreeing with some of the opinions in it is one thing, but hyping the game in here before release, ignoring all flaws after release, and eagerly putting down the source of negative reviews is super weird.

Yeah, that would be super weird. :confused:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I know the game has only been out for like 4 minutes, but how is the environmental variance looking? Does the vast majority of the game take place in Not-Diablo3's-Skycrown-Battlements Castle or are there a bunch of environments to explore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

GreatGreen posted:

I know the game has only been out for like 4 minutes, but how is the environmental variance looking? Does the vast majority of the game take place in Not-Diablo3's-Skycrown-Battlements Castle or are there a bunch of environments to explore?

I think this was pretty well fleshed out before the game was released. From what I've read there is very little variance.

• Locked thread