Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is the Bitcoin thread. Please don't post Harry Potter Fan Fic, Brazillian Babes, Galtse or goats behind doors. Thank.

Post stuff like this

https://soundcloud.com/animalnewyork-1/ftc-says-buttcoin

or this:

resources:
http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/
http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201408_cfpb_consumer-advisory_virtual-currencies.pdf

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hosed up the title idgaf

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
your dead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Please post Harry Potter Fan Fic, Brazillian Babes, Galtse or goats behind doors

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
ground floor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
no ring, 1/5

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Boxturret posted:

ground floor

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

A few old favourites:

anyone who says total anarchy is a joke has no loving clue!
i lived in total anarchy, when in 1990 soviets were driven of from Lithuania there was total anarchy for about 2-3 years, police had no resources, government was a bunch of idealists with no idea wtf to do, no taxes no law in practice.
local "tough guy" would pop up, he could not be super cruel or hosed up as when intellect level of people is pretty high(unlike lets say somalia or any other dumb country which always pops up as example why anarchy is poo poo, they would be exact same poo poo anarchy or not...) people expect certain living standarts and will get mad if poo poo goes down, as local mob could not muster army like goverments do they were always in check. it was very safe and taxes were at least 10 times lower, as very efficient 5-10 mobster guys ran whole town and would not take half your money like government does.
back in those days there was no internet so organizing big scale stuff was hard, but now with internet, bitcoin etc., why you would ever need government? what government does what could not be done by just people organizing poo poo on internet?

In an alien visitation scenario, Bitcoin will be what redeems us as a species.

I'm really scraping hard to buy as much bitcoin as I can in the next 12 months. Every time I obtain another coin I feel like my future self in 2025 just made another $500k I can even hear him "thanks dude! don't stop!!

I really believe the state is obsolete. The only reason it is existing is because it has guns.

loans will be a redundant financial instrument in a Bitcoin world because saving will get you what you want far faster than a loan ever will

Gender roles are constantly dissolving but woman are totally missing the boat on the reboot of the financial system.

Bitcoin, Tor and an economy around them are steps required for the Singularity

Investments and wives really don't go together, except when it's time to cash out and spend your hard earned cash on useless women luxury

A collapse of the USD means virtually everyone is debt free and no longer enslave by the zionist-made debt-based economy.

If everything fails I'm thinking of going to a drug dealer and borrowing 10k [to buy bitcoin] and paying it off in 2 months or so.

How can bitcoin usage grow if the motto is "don't invest more than you can lose"?

If not for the regulations, government monopoly on law and courts, I would at least already have the remainings of my money from Gox.

“Yes. Of course,” Satoshi said. “I’m rich. Rich people always get as much of anything as they want. Food. Nice apartments and clothes. Fast cars. And as many beautiful women as I can handle. I am very lucky. I really am. But I don’t usually do it with someone I don’t pay for the purpose.”
“Why not?” Angel said.
“I don’t like the idea of getting attached. Most women would get strange ideas about what I am allowed to do or not do with other women,” Satoshi explained. “Some of the more alert ones might even notice the source and the amount of my wealth. That would not do at all.”

While I agree with your assessment, this is one thing that gets me upset.
In a country that claims freedom, I should be free to do anything I want that does not interfere with the rights of another. Which, I think means I could talk about killing someone, buy a gun and barrel, even drive to the person's house with gun and barrel, and I have still not interfered with the rights of another person, therefore no crime should have been committed. The moment I threaten the person, so that they can hear/witness me, there by affecting their rights, whether using the gun or not, I have committed a crime. But if I even pulled my car up to their street/road, got out, and walked around, before getting back in and driving off, I do not see how any reasonable entity could claim I had committed any crime against another. Certainly I had denied no other being any of their rights. Which is why I would agree that a conspiracy charge, is a charge that proves you never actually committed a real crime, only one that has been imagined possible in the mind of someone else. It is as close to thought crime as we can get, without psychics or behavior prediction algorithms in play.
I do not argue that the police would have to wait until Charlie is dead, but they should have to wait until Charlie actually has a gun to him, before making an arrest and charging for a crime. The fact that they try and create a fictitious crime before that point, is laziness, or at least intellectual laziness. These are the issues I have with at least this Nation and possibly others.

Think of bitcoin as a virus, a virus that attacks the ills of society, our political ills, the ills brought on by the State. If you protect bitcoin from the State, if you shield in some way the State from accessing bitcoin, then you prolong the agony. Injecting bitcoin directly into the State, taking the weapon, raising it high and striking sure and fast, and then again, and again, and again ... infecting the host of the State with the virus, now. This is the the battle won.
The ultimate test of bitcoin is to survive the strongest onslaught the State can mount, so why wait until the State grows more clever, why wait until the State hatches more and more plans, and prepares at a level which forestalls the inevitable and causes grief for some?
The more politicians that accept campaign donations in bitcoin, the more infected the top echelons of the State hierarchy becomes. What more beautiful way to infect the State than by appealing to their avarice? The avarice, the greedy claw, grabbing and scooping, blinded by the shiny coins.
The crow sees the shiny coin on the street, he swoops down but his beak is such that he cannot easily grasp the coin, so he stays in the street wrestling with it, his greed for it growing, but "the coin" resists the crow and it cries, it screeches it screams ... and then the car rushes over it, and it's over.

I do suspect most of these trolls work in traditional money systems. I can see meetings at Visa, Western Union, Paypal, "ok guys, that's all for today.. oh, don't forget keep up the r/buttcoin posts and article commenting.. have a great weekend".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

hosed up the title idgaf

if we gave you another topic to switch it with, would you

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
its a butt

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

if we gave you another topic to switch it with, would you

new moon may lead unexpected bear attacks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
has anyone said buttcoin yet?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Management posted:

has anyone said buttcoin yet?

read the op!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

has anyone read the op yet?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Same Great Paste posted:

has anyone read the op yet?

theres a 2/3 chance that I did

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
has anyone considered the role that negging plays in the monty hall problem?

"would you like to change your choice?" *points at door*

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
how long is it until bitpay gets audited

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

FCKGW posted:

This is the Bitcoin thread. Please don't post Harry Potter Fan Fic, Brazillian Babes, Galtse or goats behind doors. Thank.

does this mean we're free to discuss the merits of the metric system?
because i have many opinions on the subject

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Antlerhill posted:

does this mean we're free to discuss the merits of the metric system?
because i have many opinions on the subject

please only use tonal units tia

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Boxturret posted:

please only use tonal units tia

has anyone said bitbong yet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

theres a 2/3 chance that I did

FMguru posted:

has anyone considered the role that negging plays in the monty hall problem?

"would you like to change your choice?" *points at door*

ban

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
so who else is psyched about the upcoming new moon bear attack?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

OldAlias posted:

(which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
poo poo they're on to us

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

id like to talk about the montee ball problem, he's injured and i need a loving rb to put up numbers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You choose a door at random. The gameshow host opens one of the other doors, revealing a butt. The door that you chose has either another butt or a butt. If you switch doors, what's the probability that you'll be goxxed?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

i can't beleive i'm on page one of the buttcoin thread

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

QuarkJets posted:

You choose a door at random. The gameshow host opens one of the other doors, revealing a butt. The door that you chose has either another butt or a butt. If you switch doors, what's the probability that you'll be goxxed?

it's more like

you choose a door at random, behind that door is a gox. you are goxxed. you choose another door. behind that door is a gox. you are goxxed. do you choose another door? yes, you are a savvy investor. how many doors could possibly have a gox anyway?

all of them. all of the doors.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OldAlias posted:

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

secondlife still exists?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

So if I'm on the front page of this thread, do I get to be an early adopter?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Buttcoin :xd:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

TVarmy posted:

So if I'm on the front page of this thread, do I get to be an early adopter?

everyone will still be early adopters until atleast page 2019

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not really a professional joke-maker, but i do have some nonetheless. check this out

"buttcoin" -me, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
brother of statist shillers lodge 219 reporting for duty

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I dunno I think I still have a 50/50 chance with these two doors

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

My Linux Rig posted:

I dunno I think I still have a 50/50 chance with these two doors
the mlr problem has no solution

except a FINAL gently caress i made that joke already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sorry, the ftc beat you to it

• Locked thread